The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

In this topic, I consider important when do characters say Sandor or Hound (mainly the Elder Brother, who speaks about Sandor or the Hound in different ways. I think this is a theme that GRR came about at some point writing AFFC, but anyway is it rather obvious for me when I look up closely at when certain characters choose to name the Hound or Sandor.

(sorry for my English, I try so hard)

19 hours ago, Nittanian said:

The Elder Brother and Thoros tell Brienne that the Hound (Sandor) is dead. When speaking with the BWB, Brienne recognizes that she killed Rorge, who had taken the helm from Clegane's grave. Lem accepts the Hound designation, and Brienne hears Thoros differentiate between Sandor, Rorge, and Lem. She still thinks of Lem as the Hound even after Jack-Be-Lucky calls him "Lem". While the "Hound" starts off referring solely to Sandor (like Jaime is the only "Kingslayer"), it seems to me that the "Hound" has become an identity or persona rather than a specific person, like the Dread Pirate Roberts.

Still, Brienne refers to Lem as "Hound" only twice. As opposed to the dozens of references of "Hound" indicating Sandor. Would it be an idea to have the term "Hound" refer to Sandor's page, while the information currently at the page "Hound" is renamed?

2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Still, Brienne refers to Lem as "Hound" only twice. As opposed to the dozens of references of "Hound" indicating Sandor. Would it be an idea to have the term "Hound" refer to Sandor's page, while the information currently at the page "Hound" is renamed?

What would be an alternative title? The Hound article explains the Sandor connection immediately, and most articles mentioning Sandor should be linking directly to "Sandor Clegane" instead of a Hound redirect. I could see rephrasing the Hound intro, but that could spoil the identity change. The app's entry for "Lem" states, "he and his band defeat Rorge's outlaws, and Lem appropriates the Hound's helm that Rorge had taken for himself". Do Rorge or Lem impersonate Sandor at any point, or do they like the fearsome imagery of the helm?

1 hour ago, Nittanian said:

What would be an alternative title? The Hound article explains the Sandor connection immediately, and most articles mentioning Sandor should be linking directly to "Sandor Clegane" instead of a Hound redirect. I could see rephrasing the Hound intro, but that could spoil the identity change. The app's entry for "Lem" states, "he and his band defeat Rorge's outlaws, and Lem appropriates the Hound's helm that Rorge had taken for himself". Do Rorge or Lem impersonate Sandor at any point, or do they like the fearsome imagery of the helm?

"Hound (disambiguation)"?

The fearsome helm is connected to Sandor's reputation. And it is that reputation that Lem and Rorge want to impersonate, right?

Regarding the interlinking, I agree that pages should link to the actual page names, and make use of redirect-interlinks as little as possible. 

"Hound (disambiguation)" would be used if there are multiple articles called the Hound, which isn't really this situation. "Hound" could redirect to "Sandor Clegane" with a hatnote at the top (something like "Hound" redirects here. See also [[Rorge]] or [[Lem]].), but that would immediately reveal to readers of the Sandor article that Rorge and Lem also become known as the Hound during the story.

Through the first three books I would have said that "Hound" should be a redirect to Sandor, like "Kingslayer" is simply Jaime. To me, however, AFFC expands the Hound as a topic beyond just Sandor (Thoros scolds Lem for essentially becoming the successor of Sandor and Rorge).

Separately, do we know anything more about "Leslyn" of the Peach? In ASOS Bella says, "They say King Robert fucked my mother when he hid here, back before the battle. Not that he didn't have all the other girls too, but Leslyn says he liked my ma the best." The wiki states she is a whore, but the character is not mentioned with the other peaches in the appendix. The only other Leslyn is a male in the same book, Ser Leslyn Haigh.

14 hours ago, Nittanian said:

"Hound (disambiguation)" would be used if there are multiple articles called the Hound, which isn't really this situation. "Hound" could redirect to "Sandor Clegane" with a hatnote at the top (something like "Hound" redirects here. See also [[Rorge]] or [[Lem]].), but that would immediately reveal to readers of the Sandor article that Rorge and Lem also become known as the Hound during the story.

Through the first three books I would have said that "Hound" should be a redirect to Sandor, like "Kingslayer" is simply Jaime. To me, however, AFFC expands the Hound as a topic beyond just Sandor (Thoros scolds Lem for essentially becoming the successor of Sandor and Rorge).

I agree that the hatnote is not the solution.

It doesn't necessarily have to be changed, but as I said, I had expected "Hound" to redirect to Sandor, instead of a separate page, which is why I brought it up. :) Thank you for explaining the reasoning behind the decision!

Separately, do we know anything more about "Leslyn" of the Peach? In ASOS Bella says, "They say King Robert fucked my mother when he hid here, back before the battle. Not that he didn't have all the other girls too, but Leslyn says he liked my ma the best." The wiki states she is a whore, but the character is not mentioned with the other peaches in the appendix. The only other Leslyn is a male in the same book, Ser Leslyn Haigh.

Not all peaches are mentioned in the appendix. The quote does imply that Leslyn is a girl from the brothel as well, but there is absolutely no confirmation for it. So perhaps it would be best to remove the category "prostitute" from her page, as well as the interlink, as it isn't confirmed that she actually is one.

6 hours ago, Wrl6199 said:

Hey i wast sure if i should post this here but ice tried signing in to a wiki of ice and fire and  it says my account doe-sent exist even though i used the same username and password. 

On 1-8-2016 at 8:31 AM, Linda said:

Unfortunately, we have an issue with the wiki login. It used to be handled by a plugin that gave you access to the wiki once you had a forum account, but this plugin was never updated for the new version of the forum. We have been pursuing other solutions but not been able to solve the issue.

On 10/8/2016 at 3:18 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

The page "Ghazdaq" redirects to Krazaaj Has, a former Ghiscari city which was originally known as Ghardaq, as stated in the app. But what is the source for the term "Ghazdaq"? I can't find it.

The "Slaver's Bay" map from TLOIAF includes KRAZAAJ HAS (GHAZDAQ), while the "The Known World" map from TLOIAF has KRAZAAJ HAS (GHARDAQ). The app also uses Ghardaq instead of Ghazdaq, so Ghazdaq was probably a misprint.

On multiple fan-sites for ASOIAF, Braavos's founding date is stated to be 500 BC (800 years prior to the main series). Our wiki also used to display this date. However, I cannot find a reference for this date. I've checked the books, the app, the RPG's, even the history lore on the Game of Thrones blueray edition for Season 5. All I end up with is that Braavos was founded at least ~657 years prior to the main series (~357 BC), with no telling how much older the city might be (except that it has to be younger than Lorath, which was founded in 1436 BC).

So does anyone know of a reference that states that Braavos was founded around ~500 BC?

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

We haven't had time yet to sort out why we can't get the bridge working to permit more people to edit the wiki. We'd really like to sort it out, it's just a matter of finding the time. The last time we tried it, the system that was built was failing miserably, and we didn't have much look figuring out what the problem was. We'll see if we can't tackle it again in the next couple of weeks with help from Sparks.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dragonstone

could someone update the foudation date in the infobox? Either change it to "Around 600 years ago" or to "-326 BC" (according to http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Years_before_Aegon's_Conquest )

On the same page "The castle has a dark reputation,[1] " the comma should be a dot.

35 minutes ago, Yhamm said:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dragonstone

could someone update the foudation date in the infobox? Either change it to "Around 600 years ago" or to "-326 BC" (according to http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Years_before_Aegon's_Conquest )

On the same page "The castle has a dark reputation,[1] " the comma should be a dot.

Changed it ;) 

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Ran, the Guardians of Order RPG lists 'approximately 350 BC' (literal statement "approximately 650 years ago") as the date for Arlan III Durrandon killing the last river kings (The Battle of the Six Kings). Is there any way you can validate this date? I ask because several of the "new dates" given in the RPG are out-of-date (e.g., the date for the Targaryens leaving Valyria, and the date for Maron Martell's wedding to Daenerys), so before using this date, it would be nice to know whether it is still a valid semi-canon date to work with.