The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

28 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

That's not known. However, "Fool Frey" was a younger son of House Frey, and Forrest eventually inherited the house, so chances are that Forrest was "Fool Frey's" older brother. But, if Fool Frey's older brother(s) all died before the war, he could have inherited, in which case, they might be one and the same.

Impossible to say at the moment without more information, as far as I am aware.

While it's not confirmed, I would be surprised if Forrest was not Fool Frey since TWOIAF states Forrest was once a suitor. 

I think several new artcles regarding battles of the WOTFK and aftermath should be made. Two battles/invasions take place in the Hornwood lands. First, Ramsay invades with Bolton men, then Manderly takes control of the Hornwood castle. I also think perhaps there could be a brief artcle on where the Ironborn have raided with Euron eg the Arbor, Reach coastline, although I accept there might not be enough info for that.

@Jaehaerys-III

Since you are here right now anyway:

You added a lot of houses in the infobox of the Battle of the Blackwater page, despite some of them (like Osgrey and Inchfield) are not mentioned in the main books at all or at least not in the context of the battle. I don't think that we should state your assumptions (as solid as they might be) as facts.

3 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

@Jaehaerys-III

Since you are here right now anyway:

You added a lot of houses in the infobox of the Battle of the Blackwater page, despite some of them (like Osgrey and Inchfield) are not mentioned in the main books at all or at least not in the context of the battle. I don't think that we should state your assumptions (as solid as they might be) as facts.

Yes I agree, I was a little too broad in adding houses. Some need to be removed for the sake of accuracy.

I think it's safe to assume Inchfield were at Blackwater as they were with Renly before and sworn to the Tyrells. Although they're not mentioned at Blackwater specifcially...well I don't really want to remove some of the houses that are hinted at being at Blackwater but won't revert if someone else edits them out.

The Princess and the Queen states both

The gold cloaks at the Old Gate and the Dragon Gate sallied forth under the command of their captains, Ser Balon Byrch and Ser Garth the Harelip, and by midday had managed to restore some semblance of order to the streets north and east of Rhaenys’s Hill.

and

She gave command of the gold cloaks to Ser Balon Byrch, captain at the Iron Gate [...]

So was Byrch captain at the Old Gate or the Iron Gate?

3 hours ago, Jaehaerys-III said:

I think several new artcles regarding battles of the WOTFK and aftermath should be made. Two battles/invasions take place in the Hornwood lands. First, Ramsay invades with Bolton men, then Manderly takes control of the Hornwood castle. I also think perhaps there could be a brief artcle on where the Ironborn have raided with Euron eg the Arbor, Reach coastline, although I accept there might not be enough info for that.

I don't think we have enough information for separate articles at this time. 

1 hour ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

I agree, the wiki should include houses which can be sourced.

Here's some quotes I have regarding the Hornwood fighting:

ACOK Bran IV - "Bolton's bastard is massing men at the Dreadfort," she warned them. "I hope he means to take them south to join his father at the Twins, but when I sent to ask his intent, he told me that no Bolton would be questioned by a woman. As if he were trueborn and had a right to that name"

ACOK Bran V - "The old knight (Rodrik) was off east, trying to set to rights the trouble there. Roose Bolton's bastard had started it by seizing Lady Hornwood as she returned from the harvest feast, marrying her that very night even though he was young enough to be her son. Then Lord Manderly had taken her castle. To protect the Hornwood holdings from the Boltons, he had written, but Ser Rodrik had been almost as angry with him as with the bastard."

Yeh it could be one article called "Fighting in the Hornwood" that lists the Boltons, Hornwoods and Manderlys as combatants. Ultimately the Boltons are victorious after the Manderlys retreat in AFFC/ADWD.

Edited by Jaehaerys-III
ACOK IV not II

12 hours ago, Nittanian said:

I don't think we have enough information for separate articles at this time. 

I agree, the wiki should include houses which can be sourced.

But what if one of the Reach houses is mentioned at Bitterbridge but not at Blackwater? Surely that's enough to suggest they were at Blackwater? I believe it's mentioned somewhere that the majority of the Houses at Bitterbridge followed the Tyrells to Blackwater Rush then King's Landing. Similarly if a Westermen house is seen by Arya leaving Harrenhal westwards, it means they must have fought with Tywin on the Green Fork and then at the Fords, and then at Blackwater, even if they aren't directly mentioned at the three battles.

23 hours ago, Jaehaerys-III said:

But what if one of the Reach houses is mentioned at Bitterbridge but not at Blackwater? Surely that's enough to suggest they were at Blackwater? I believe it's mentioned somewhere that the majority of the Houses at Bitterbridge followed the Tyrells to Blackwater Rush then King's Landing. Similarly if a Westermen house is seen by Arya leaving Harrenhal westwards, it means they must have fought with Tywin on the Green Fork and then at the Fords, and then at Blackwater, even if they aren't directly mentioned at the three battles.

For those houses that are mentioned at bitterbridge i suggest you leave them in the sumup but make a note that they are not mentioned at the battle but likley to have been there because of them being present at bitterbridge.

3 hours ago, direpupy said:

For those houses that are mentioned at bitterbridge i suggest you leave them in the sumup but make a note that they are not mentioned at the battle but likley to have been there because of them being present at bitterbridge.

good idea, I was thinking of doing this.

On 6/16/2017 at 1:50 PM, Jaehaerys-III said:

The new articles look good!

@Rhaenys_Targaryen, should we even have a Battle of the Redwyne Straits at this time? The battle has not occurred in the books yet, and AFAIK GRRM has not mentioned it in interviews like he did with the battle in the ice. This article also uses the text from a recording at Balticon (which GRRM expressly asked attendees not to do). Ran previously gave approval for notes as references, not the actual text 

5 hours ago, Nittanian said:

The new articles look good!

@Rhaenys_Targaryen, should we even have a Battle of the Redwyne Straits at this time? The battle has not occurred in the books yet, and AFAIK GRRM has not mentioned it in interviews like he did with the battle in the ice. This article also uses the text from a recording at Balticon (which GRRM expressly asked attendees not to do). Ran previously gave approval for notes as references, not the actual text 

Hmm.. I don't think we have enough information for it yet, nor has GRRM revealed a name for the battle. And considering the approved notes do not mention any battle, the statement that is currently given on the War of the Five Kings page ("Meanwhile, the Ironborn threat expands when King Euron Greyjoy continues his campaign in the Reach, while his brother Victarion has sailed to Slaver's Bay on Euron’s behalf to seek out the exiled Queen Daenerys Targaryen and her dragons.") might be enough until TWOW is released?

Additionally, do Euron's battles in the Reach still count as battles of the War of the Five Kings? It might not be possible to say yet, as TWOW will likely tell us whether the new battles and invasions are going to be recorded as part of the War of the Five Kings, or as part of a separate conflict.. For example, Aegon's landing in the stormlands and the capture of several strongholds are currently regarded as conflicts in the aftermath of the war of five kings (for lack of a name described as "phase 2" on the War of the Five Kings page, under the subheading "New Conflicts Arise".

Related, the template {{War of the Five Kings}} currently depicts Aegon's actions in Westeros. However, these are also depicted in the template {{Targaryen Invasion}}. Perhaps these can be consolidated?

@Ran,

I might have found a solution to the text-align display on the mobile view of the wiki. The code that I think should be added to the css on MediaWiki:Mobile.css is

body {
  text-align: left
}

If I'm correct, than this should cause all text on the wiki to align to the left by default (and only not do so when specified in the template/text of choice). Now, the wiki in browser-view already aligns text to the left by default, but the mobile view aligns all text in the center, decreasing readability. Since wiki's are often viewed on mobile, maybe we can give this addition to the mobile css a try?

I admit that coding is not my area of expertise, but a test on http://www.cssdesk.com/ was rather promising. If there's a way to test the effect of adding a css coding to the mobile site without having it take effect for every visitor, that might be best, but otherwise, I suppose, it should be rather easy to see whether or not the coding works (and if it doesn't work, it won't be difficult to remove it again).

Hello, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask a question, but I'm just coming from /r/pureasoiaf which is a community on reddit dedicated to solely the books rather than the show. Anyways, with the show well ahead of the books at this point, I wanted to know if the Wiki will keep information from the books separate from the show? For instance, I really don't want to be reading a wiki article and then see a spoiler from the show in the article. I also don't hold the show as "canon" in order to make sense of everything in the universe. (Myself and many others on /r/pureasoiaf are not watching the show at all.) So can the wiki be counted on as a resource for people interested in just the books? Thanks so much in advance. 

On 3-7-2017 at 6:03 PM, Brohansan said:

Hello, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask a question, but I'm just coming from /r/pureasoiaf which is a community on reddit dedicated to solely the books rather than the show. Anyways, with the show well ahead of the books at this point, I wanted to know if the Wiki will keep information from the books separate from the show? For instance, I really don't want to be reading a wiki article and then see a spoiler from the show in the article. I also don't hold the show as "canon" in order to make sense of everything in the universe. (Myself and many others on /r/pureasoiaf are not watching the show at all.) So can the wiki be counted on as a resource for people interested in just the books? Thanks so much in advance. 

As far as I know, in general the only information regarding the show found on wiki-pages are statements which actors portray the character in the show (stated in the introduction paragraph), and in which seasons the character has appeared (stated in the infobox). As well, images from the show (for example to depict a character) can be found on multiple pages.

Further, information from the show is found on pages specifically discussing the seasons and episodes (so as long as you stay clear of those, it should be fine).

I would also suggest staying clear of theory pages, as I know of at least one which makes one small mention of show-information.

But on regular pages (for example Edmure Tully) no information discussing events from the show are mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...