The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

Hello all, new wiki user here. Apologies if this is not the appropriate place to post this. I have a certain mission of mine that I'd like to see through, but I find that I don't quite have the skill to accomplish it. I wish to add a personal arms section to a couple of characters' infoboxes, namely Aegon II and Rhaenyra Targaryen, and provide formal blazonry for another, Daemon I Blackfyre.  I've done this so far to Rhaenyra, and updated Daemon's. These were easy (I just added the description of blazonry to Daemon, and copy and pasted said section into Rhaenyra's page and edited the text to reflect her personal heraldry.) However, this copy and pasting technique has not worked with Aegon II. When I do so, and add the appropriate information, it simply appears (in the preview) below the listing of his mother as Alicent Hightower, without the description (coat of arms, personal arms, etc) though I add it immediately before the "Books" row in the sandbox. What am I doing wrong, and how can I add this information? I very much hope I can be a productive member of this wiki, so I'd like to learn all I can. For whatever reason, I'm not able to post the pictures of the sandbox, preview, and templates I took

23 hours ago, Prince Jon Targaryen said:

Hello all, new wiki user here. Apologies if this is not the appropriate place to post this. I have a certain mission of mine that I'd like to see through, but I find that I don't quite have the skill to accomplish it. I wish to add a personal arms section to a couple of characters' infoboxes, namely Aegon II and Rhaenyra Targaryen, and provide formal blazonry for another, Daemon I Blackfyre.  I've done this so far to Rhaenyra, and updated Daemon's. These were easy (I just added the description of blazonry to Daemon, and copy and pasted said section into Rhaenyra's page and edited the text to reflect her personal heraldry.) However, this copy and pasting technique has not worked with Aegon II. When I do so, and add the appropriate information, it simply appears (in the preview) below the listing of his mother as Alicent Hightower, without the description (coat of arms, personal arms, etc) though I add it immediately before the "Books" row in the sandbox. What am I doing wrong, and how can I add this information? I very much hope I can be a productive member of this wiki, so I'd like to learn all I can. For whatever reason, I'm not able to post the pictures of the sandbox, preview, and templates I took

That depends on the template used as infobox. Monarchs (e.g., Aegon II) have a different infoboxes than other characters (e.g., Rhaenyra and Daemon). I've tried adjusting the template for the Infobox monarch template, but for some reason, it doesn't show.

Perhaps this is a good moment to look at the infobox templates all together, as the Infobox character and Infobox monarch are not entirely consistent (where layout and order of information found in both boxes are concerned). Perhaps we can create two new templates (or adjust the existing ones) where consistency is increased? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/07/2017 at 7:35 PM, Gonzalo said:

What do you guys think of changing thw words of character categorization by origin? Instead of "Characters from the North" we could use "Northmen" or "Ghiscari" and when the origin its unclear "Westerosi" or "Essosi".

I think this would require that we knew all the ethnic adjectives of Martin's world, which we don't.

"Essosi" for instance doesn't exist in the books, and I think it's best not to make up such adjectives if we want awoiaf to be accurate.

• 3 weeks later...

Somebody might want to adjust the family tree of House Baratheon. Ormund Baratheon is not confirmed to be the son of the Laughing Storm. It is actually quite likely that he is actually his grandson. He is only called Lord Lyonel's heir in TWoIaF, not his son. The chances that Lyonel's eldest son was not yet married and had not long children of his own by the time Egg and Betha arranged the betrothals of their children is astronomically slim.

I found two possible improvements for Meereen and Whitewalls.

1.In the map showing the location of Meereen, it is on the north bank of Skahazadhan River. I believe it is due to a mistake in the map in the UK version of aSoS, as explained in this post. On all other official maps, Meereen is on the south bank, which fits the plots in the books.

2. The wiki page says Whitewalls "was built near the Gods Eye and was closer to Maidenpool than to King's Landing." We can locate it more precisely. In The Mystery Knight, Dunk was on the way to kingsroad and Winterfell from Stoney Sept. And he remarked that "We have to go by Whitewalls to reach the kingsroad" before he crossed Gods Eye to Whitewalls. Therefore Whitewalls must lies between kingsroad and Gods Eye, on its east or northeast bank.

I tried adding a few images (1, 2, 3) to Ned's article, but the preview displayed this error message for them: "Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination". I didn't have issues adding other images to the article, however.

edit: same with 4

Edited by Nittanian

This is an issue we have not yet been able to resolve, I'm afraid. Got a couple other server-related things to worry about, including moving the wiki from its current server to a different one, but once that's done we'll try and figure it out if the move doesn't resolve the issue. No firm ETA at present, but hoping to have the move done some time in the next two weeks.

May I suggest changing Rhaegar's silver hair in the wiki to silver-blond.

The reason for this is:

- All of his ancestors including his siblings have silber-blond hair since Aegon V

- the cited chapter of his description explicitly mentions Cersei confusing Aurane Waters with Rhaegar. And Aurane has silver-blond hair. 

I have not found a single mentioning of Rhaegar having silver hair. 

Edited by SirArthur

On 9/18/2017 at 4:40 PM, Ran said:

This is an issue we have not yet been able to resolve, I'm afraid. Got a couple other server-related things to worry about, including moving the wiki from its current server to a different one, but once that's done we'll try and figure it out if the move doesn't resolve the issue. No firm ETA at present, but hoping to have the move done some time in the next two weeks.

Thanks! Would you happen to know if there are issues with logging in to the wiki? I can log into the forum without complication, but often can't log into the wiki despite trying with multiple browsers and networks. Cookies are working for other sites (like the forum), but the first few wiki attempts display:

Login error 
A Wiki of Ice and Fire uses cookies to log in users. You have cookies disabled. Please enable them and try again.

If I try again, it temporarily locks me out.

Login error 
There seems to be a problem with your login session; this action has been canceled as a precaution against session hijacking. Go back to the previous page, reload that page and then try again.

I ran into this myself. I have found that if I reload the main page and then try to login again, it tends to work. Not quite sure what's going on with this, and we're busy trying to get some stuff moved, but once we do that we'll try and see what the problem is.

In this thread, the question was asked whether appearances in visions that characters have should count as "mentioned" or as "appeared" on the wiki in the infoboxes. The thread referred specifically to Bran seeing Eddard Stark in ADWD (kneeling in front of the heart tree of Winterfell), but other examples come to mind (such as Daenerys seeing her father and brother in the House of the Undying in ACOK).

Opinions?

Maggy the Frog's entry states her son is the founder of House Spicer. The article points AFFC's Cersei VIII as source, but I couldn't even find any mention of House Spicer in this chapter.

By the way, I don't recall the book confirming this assumption at all (as likely as it seems).

"Gawen is a good man, but his wife is Sybell Spicer. He should never have wed her. The Westerlings always did have more honor than sense. Lady Sybell's grandfather was a trader in saffron and pepper, almost as lowborn as that smuggler Stannis keeps. And the grandmother was some woman he'd brought back from the east. A frightening old crone, supposed to be a priestess. Maegi, they called her. No one could pronounce her real name. Half of Lannisport used to go to her for cures and love potions and the like." (A Storm of Swords, Tyrion III)

And from Cersei VIII

Half of Lannisport used to go to her for charms and potions. She was mother to a petty lord, a wealthy merchant upjumped by my grandsire. This lord's father had found her whilst trading in the east. Some say she cast a spell on him, though more like the only charm she needed was the one between her thighs. She was not always hideous, or so they said. I don't recall the woman's name. Something long and eastern and outlandish. The smallfolk used to call her Maggy.

So Merchant A went to Essos and brought back Maggy the Frog. Their son, Merchant B, became a petty lord for Tytos.

On 9/27/2017 at 3:33 PM, Ran said:

I ran into this myself. I have found that if I reload the main page and then try to login again, it tends to work. Not quite sure what's going on with this, and we're busy trying to get some stuff moved, but once we do that we'll try and see what the problem is.

Since George has new text coming out in The Book of Swords, do you want to put a warning up on the wiki not to include new info yet?