The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

As some may have noticed, the wiki has been quite slow of late. This is because something is causing a lot of sockets to open and wait for content, and I have a suspicion it may have to do with something going on with our images.

Compare the Viserys I image  at https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Viserys_I_Targaryen -- if you right click it and copy image address, you are pointed directly to an image at https://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/7/7c/VISERYS_I.jpg 

Now look at the Viserys Targaryen image at http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Viserys_Targaryen -- if you right click there and copy image address, you are not given a direct image url but instead , you are pointed to http://awoiaf.westeros.org/thumb.php?f=Viserys_Targaryen.jpg&width=350. This means that every time that page is loaded, it has to run thumb.php rather than just going straight to the image. This is adding an enormous amount of requests to the server, and appears to be preventing Varnish from caching the static images.

So my question is, does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it? Compare to any page on wikipedia.org and you'll see that the Viserys I example is what we _should_ be getting, not the Viserys Targaryen example with thumb.php being called for each image.

11 hours ago, Nittanian said:

Could it be the usage of "file" vs. "image"? Viserys uses the former and Viserys I uses the latter.

I tested that by changing Viserys I to use File and I'm not sure that's it (Image is a legacy tag and should behave like File anyways).  Certainly made no difference.

What I do see is that Viserys I uses the Monarch infobox and that seems to handle the image differently in that template than the character infobox does. But it's also happening in non-infobox contexts, like the Viserys Targaryen image for the Exile subheading.

Also, the following men need to be added to the list of Blacks: Lord Hornwood, Lord Cerwyn, Hallis Hornwood (Mad Hal), Timotty Snow (the Bastard of Flint's Finger), and maybe Lord Hornwood's younger son.

Edited by The Grey Wolf

On 5/11/2019 at 8:31 AM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Should "King of Meereen" be a separate page from Queen of Meereen? Queen of Meereen is a title Daenerys uses as ruling monarch, but as far as we know, she is the only one to have had the title. King of Meereen, on the other hand, was also used by the Meereenese rulers of old

Might it be better to have "King of Meereen" as the article title (since it is a concept existing before "Recent Events") and have "Queen of Meereen" redirect to it? 

"Manfred Hightower" disambiguates to "Manfred Hightower (Aegon's Conquest)" and "Manfred Hightower (son of Addam)". Wouldn't it be easier to have the Conquest character be primary, as we already disambiguate his descendant as Addam's son?

1 hour ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Question:  Does the magnetic compass exist in Westeros?

The final episode of the TV series showed a ship captain's table, prominently displaying a far-eyes (telescope) and a star chart (I don't know how they did that, given that attempts to make an image of the fictional constellations in the world of Westeros was abandoned).  I need to cross-reference the star chart with real life ones.

At any rate, the edge of the star chart says the word "compass" on it, though on re-watch I don't think we saw an actual compass on-screen.

The issue is that I e-searched using ASearchOfIceAndFire, and the word "compass" indeed comes up exactly once, in the Prologue to A Clash of Kings:

"Lord Stannis Baratheon's refuge was a great round room with walls of bare black stone and four tall narrow windows that looked out to the four points of the compass"

Is this a one-off mistake?  Or does the magnetic compass actually exist in Westeros?

There's a compass sign in the KL map. 

19 hours ago, Nittanian said:

"Manfred Hightower" disambiguates to "Manfred Hightower (Aegon's Conquest)" and "Manfred Hightower (son of Addam)". Wouldn't it be easier to have the Conquest character be primary, as we already disambiguate his descendant as Addam's son?

Shouldn't the primary page (if it does not lead to the disambiguation page) be the page of the character most prominently featured? And they are both somewhat equally featured, I think..

2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Shouldn't the primary page (if it does not lead to the disambiguation page) be the page of the character most prominently featured? And they are both somewhat equally featured, I think..

Although both are minor characters, the Conquest Manfred would seem to me to be of more importance than the Manfred of Aenys's reign (and hatnotes are cheap).