The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

5 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Prentys Tully is stated to have fought at the God's Eye in 43 AC, but I can not find any evidence for that. Although a Lord Tully is mentioned, we do not learn his given name. 

You are right. There was a Lord Tully who fought in that battle for Maegor but his name is never stated and Prentys is never connected to the battle in the text. This Lord Tully could be Prentys or a predesssor, we simply don't know. That being said, Prentys, his wife Lucinda and his sister-in-law Ella are all three noted to be pious, which gives me pause to the idea of Prentys supporting Maegor the Cruel (yes this battle was against Maegor's nephew and not directly against the Faith but still).

I suggest we change Prentys's page by saying something like "a Lord Tully, who may or may not have been Prentys, fought ...".

1 hour ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

You are right. There was a Lord Tully who fought in that battle for Maegor but his name is never stated and Prentys is never connected to the battle in the text. This Lord Tully could be Prentys or a predesssor, we simply don't know. That being said, Prentys, his wife Lucinda and his sister-in-law Ella are all three noted to be pious, which gives me pause to the idea of Prentys supporting Maegor the Cruel (yes this battle was against Maegor's nephew and not directly against the Faith but still).

I suggest we change Prentys's page by saying something like "a Lord Tully, who may or may not have been Prentys, fought ...".

Besides, it would have been odd if Jaehaerys had trusted one of the guys who played a significant role in his brother's downfall, so I doubt it was Prentys, as well. 

I would remove the entire part from Prentys's entry and raise the uncertainty at House Tully's page.

4 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

I would remove the entire part from Prentys's entry and raise the uncertainty at House Tully's page.

I agree. (Unless, of course, Prentys is stated to have ruled Riverrun before 43 AC, in which case we know he rules Rivwrrun 43 AC).

And on the House Tully page, it should simply say "Lord Tully", without speculation on which Tully this might have been.

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

• 1 month later...

@Rhaenys_Targaryen We should reconsider the date of Doom on the wiki. Is it 114 BC or 102 BC?

Twelve years before the Doom of Valyria (114 BC), Aenar Targaryen sold his holdings in the Freehold and the Lands of the Long Summer and moved with all his wives, wealth, slaves, dragons, siblings, kin, and children to Dragonstone

It all depends on how you interpret "Twelve years before the Doom of Valyria (114 BC)", whether the "(114 BC)" refers to "Twelve years before the Doom of Valyria" or "Doom of Valyria".

I asked several Americans, all agreed with 102 BC. @Werthead also used 102 BC in his blog. Also, before the world book, a RPG book with source from GRRM said the Doom was a hundred years before Conquest. Conquest started in 2 BC, exactly fit 102 BC.

21 hours ago, zionius said:

@Rhaenys_Targaryen We should reconsider the date of Doom on the wiki. Is it 114 BC or 102 BC?

It all depends on how you interpret "Twelve years before the Doom of Valyria (114 BC)", whether the "(114 BC)" refers to "Twelve years before the Doom of Valyria" or "Doom of Valyria".

I asked several Americans, all agreed with 102 BC. @Werthead also used 102 BC in his blog. Also, before the world book, a RPG book with source from GRRM said the Doom was a hundred years before Conquest. Conquest started in 2 BC, exactly fit 102 BC.

I agree with you @zionius the wording in this sentence is ambiguous. Maybe @Ran can help with this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that information from SIFRP has been working its way into the wiki as canonical, for example the location of Harvest Hall which apparently is drawn from the Campaign Guide. From knowledge that I have about it, the SIFRP guide is not canon and not even what we would consider semi-canon as none of the "new" details are actually from GRRM. The books at that stage received general rather than specific approvals from George, and pretty much all new info in them came from their writers rather than George.

I think it's fine to note something like "The SIFRP campaign guide claims X", so long as the actual Canon article notes that the SIFRP is on the same level as something like the Telltale game in terms of canonicity (i.e. not at all).

Green Ronin's guide did draw a little new info from GoO's that I put there when I worked on GoO's game. GoO's game  guide is "semi-canon" because I can vouch for the fact that some of the details came from GRRM (although some are now out of date!), but to my knowledge GR's game was dependent on details from GoO or was just stuff being made up for the purposes of the game. In particular, geographical information that is unique to GR's games can't be marked as canonical in any way because GRRM is not their ultimate source.

Alright, thanks for clarifying.

I just had a look on the GoO guide and it says:

Lord Darry ruled the House, but Ser Gregor Clegane kills both him and his heir Ser Raymun at Mummer’s Ford at the Red Fork of the Trident. Ser Raymun’s eight- or nine-year- old son succeeds to the lordship of the House.

This is really interesting because some people did assume there had been another Lord Darry ("Ser Raymun Darry, Lord Darry, young Lord Darry"). Anyway, in AGOT Raymun is described as lord of Castle Darry, although he is always called Ser (you could explain this with the possible reduction of the house after the Rebellion).

4 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Where is it stated thar the Lord Vance Lord Smallwood is fighting with, is Lord Karyl Vance?

I think you found an error in the wiki because the text do not specify if the Lord Vance in question is Karyl of Wayfarer's Rest or Norbert of Atranta.

It was a long day's ride, but as dusk was settling they forded a brook and came up on Acorn Hall, with its stone curtain walls and great oaken keep. Its master was away fighting in the retinue of his master, Lord Vance, the castle gates closed and barred in his absence.
ASOS, Arya IV

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One parameter in the information box for noble Houses on the wiki is the current ruler of the house: the infobox code " | Current_Lord = " shows "Lord".

Given that the rulers can have different titles,

• Ser/Lady for a knighty Houses
  • Master/Lady for a masterly Houses
  • Lord/Lady for a nobles Houses
  • Prince/Princess for House Martell
  • King/Queen for a royal House

wouldn't it make more sense to show "Head" or "Ruler" for this parameter instead of "Lord" ?