The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

4 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Where does it say so? I guess it states he had become lord at this point, indicating he already was lord then, although it's unknown when he succeeded his father.

In the footer on Lords of the Vale: https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Lord_of_the_Eyrie

Although I think we can at least update that to say by 267. His brother Ronnel was made Defender of the Gate after their dad died. Ronnel died in 267 or so, right around when Elbert was born. Thus, he was made Defender no later than 267, so dad could have died no later than 267, and Jon was LotE by 267.

1 hour ago, dwellordream said:

Hi. I am a new editor and I just uploaded an artwork of Beth Cassel to the wiki (with permission from the artist, Capraiaso). Does anyone know how to create a new 'Images Of' page for her character? 

Hello and welcome. I'm guessing you are talking about creating a page that gathers all the pictures depicting a particular character, in you're case Beth Cassel. For example, this one for Arya Stark: https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Category:Images_of_Arya_Stark

If so, you have to create a "Category page" in the wiki. Simply enter the phrase "Category: Images of Beth Cassel" in the search bar of the wiki and create the new page from there. Then you only have to edit the picture of Beth you've uploaded to enter that category to link the two pages with each other and you're done.

38 minutes ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

Hello and welcome. I'm guessing you are talking about creating a page that gathers all the pictures depicting a particular character, in you're case Beth Cassel. For example, this one for Arya Stark: https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Category:Images_of_Arya_Stark

If so, you have to create a "Category page" in the wiki. Simply enter the phrase "Category: Images of Beth Cassel" in the search bar of the wiki and create the new page from there. Then you only have to edit the picture of Beth you've uploaded to enter that category to link the two pages with each other and you're done.

Thank you, this is very helpful! I was able to make an images category page for Beth Cassel and Palla, who didn't have any art on the wiki before now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I realized "Cregan Stark" hadn't been updated to include other info about his successors, and this led into me making a major update to the "House Stark" article overall - the history section hadn't been updated all the new info from "Fire & Blood". I never got to it before because it's a daunting task, we only know bits and pieces, and some of it conjecture Elio had to address in forum notes cited in other article for individual Starks.

Previously, the History part had three sections: "Kings in the North", a short "Targaryen Dynasty" section, then a "Robert's Rebellion" section. I didn't touch the first and last ones, but sought out to expand the "Targaryen Dynasty" section, which turned into breaking it up into several other subheaders by era:

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Stark

First I made "Targaryen Conquest and Aftermath".  Pretty much retained what was already there about Torrhen Stark, but then facing the arduous task of parsing out what new info we got on the Starks from the first half of Fire & Blood. I simply addressed it head on by writing with in-universe style that "The Starks were aloof from royal politics in this era, so even major historians such as Yandel and Gyldayn barely mention specific Lords of Winterfell between the end of Aegon I's reign and the end of Viserys I's reign" and outright noting "thus a full Stark family tree hasn't been provided for this uneventful era".  

The biggest part was copying in info from the Alaric Stark era.

The next subsection I broke it into was "The Dance of the Dragons", though I start with the Great Council of 101 AC, because the Stark vote in that had ripple effects leading into them siding with the Rhaenyra/Velaryon camp during the Dance itself. So I end the other section with noting "Alaric was forced to donate the New Gift but challenged it" then the next section saying "Yandel thinks the Starks voted the way they did at the council because they were still bitter about the New Gift" (and with ample citations pointing out the corrected info from World book, that it's not Ellard who donated the New Gift but Alaric).

The "Dance of the Dragons" section includes, based on broad interpretation, the Regency era afterwards, because Cregan Stark himself lived through the whole thing and it was actually an eventful time in the North (hard winter, then plague, then a new wildling invasion). The through-line in this section is Cregan.

We're a little confused what to call the next section, bridging from the end of the Regency up to the Fifth Blackfyre Rebellion / time of Rickard Stark / lead-in to Robert's Rebellion. 

The issue being that we don't know when Cregan died, but it's said he lived to be very old. He outlived the Regency era and into the Conquest of Dorne under Daeron I, PROBABLY lived into the early reign of Aegon IV.  A question for "Fire and Blood part II" is whether Cregan was still alive during the Blackfyre Rebellion in 196 - he COULD have been, as he would have been 88 years old at the time, but it's said he lived to be very old. 

@Ran For the Blood of Dragons MUSH, did you ever decide if Cregan is still alive in the North during the reign of Baelor I etc? Or did you gloss over the question by simply not mentioning it? Not an easy issue to face as Cregan is a significant character but Martin gave no public info.

At any rate, I then added in all the info I recently put into the "Legacy" section at the end of Cregan's own article, as his four surviving sons had troublesome reigns and faced localized threats and rebellions: Skagos, ironborn, wildlings, etc. Ending with the fifth and final son Brandon, then his son Beron...and Beron's the one who was laying mortally wounded in his castle when Dunk and Egg show up in the "The She Wolves of Winterfell"  (which will presumably fill in a lot of info on the post-Cregan era).  

I noticed a need - that the Stark article hadn't been updated for FIre & Blood or much substantial info between the Conquest and Robert's Rebellion - then filled it in as best I could. Any help would be welcome. Direpuppy already made several improvements to my original writeup. 

One minor point though I disagree with Direpuppy on, just regarding the specific subsection breaks and titles:

I put one overall section between "The Dance of the Dragons" and "Robert's Rebellion", which I just broadly call "Blackfyre Rebellions" (as this covers everything from the first rebellion through the War of the Ninepenny Kings, essentially the entire Dunk & Egg era)....Direpuppy split this into "Blackfyre Rebellion" and "After Cregan". 

The problem if course is that we don't know when Cregan died, and I point that out in the paragraph about the First Blackfyre Rebellion. What if he WAS still alive? That would make categorization complicated....

(shrug) the subsection Direpuppy made on the First rebellion is only a paragraph, and on the principle of not making subsections that are too short, I'm going to recombine them with the more vaguely titled "Blackfyre Rebellions & Cregan's Successors" or something like that.

Edited by The Dragon Demands

2 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

One minor point though I disagree with Direpuppy on, just regarding the specific subsection breaks and titles:

I put one overall section between "The Dance of the Dragons" and "Robert's Rebellion", which I just broadly call "Blackfyre Rebellions" (as this covers everything from the first rebellion through the War of the Ninepenny Kings, essentially the entire Dunk & Egg era)....Direpuppy split this into "Blackfyre Rebellion" and "After Cregan".

I was not happy with my own subsection title but it was the first thing i could think off, the reason i separated it from Blackfyre rebellion is because it had very little Blackfyre rebellion in it and a lot about cregan's successors, so to my mind the subsection title did not fit the text below it.

But i have no problem with your new one.

Hi, I am asking if I can exchange Doran Martell's Jacqui Davis fanart on the wiki page for another piece, as I don't think that art accurately reflects his appearance in the books. In terms of age, yes, Doran looks much older than he actually is, but I think the Davis art portrays him as a pretty pasty guy with light eyes and snowy white hair, which brings me more in mind of say Barristan Selmy rather than Doran. I would like to switch it with the Borja Pindado Fantasy Flight illustration of him and Arianne, which I think is a better depiction.

8 hours ago, dwellordream said:

Hi, I am asking if I can exchange Doran Martell's Jacqui Davis fanart on the wiki page for another piece, as I don't think that art accurately reflects his appearance in the books. In terms of age, yes, Doran looks much older than he actually is, but I think the Davis art portrays him as a pretty pasty guy with light eyes and snowy white hair, which brings me more in mind of say Barristan Selmy rather than Doran. I would like to switch it with the Borja Pindado Fantasy Flight illustration of him and Arianne, which I think is a better depiction.

I am fine with that, but let's wait a few days to see if anyone disagrees.

10 hours ago, dwellordream said:

I do not have a problem with the Davis art piece and see no reason to replace it, if you are going to replace a piece on the page i would replace the Tommy Arnold piece because that one shows nothing of the gout and bodily weakness that plagues  Doran.

Regarding  timelines, on the official George RR Martin Facebook there was a post today on Aenar the Exile. The post was accompanied bt the text:

Kicking off  #TargaryenThursdays with Aenar Targaryen, The Lord who Left or Aenar the Exile.  In 114 BC, 12 years before the fall and after a prophetic dream from his Daughter, he fled  Valyria and moved the Targaryen name to a new land and establishing Dragonstone.

As I remember that the way it was phrased in TWOIAF it was still unclear if 114 BC was the year of the Doom, or whether 114 BC was the 12th year before the Doom, the above post seems to make it clear that 114 BC was the 12th year before the Doom, making 102 BC the year of the Doom.

My question, @Ran, how (semi)-canon can we consider this post to be? It is (most likely, but not certainly) not written by GRRM himself, but it is posted via his account. 

As this would settle quite a long timeline argument, I am curious about your response :)