The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

Written by the chief minion, who may have run it by George, but I don't know.

114 is when Aenar left Valyria and 102 is the Doom, FWIW, but I haven't asked George personally to clarify it for people just because I don't think it needs clarificaiton.

16 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Possible, but doesn't sound likely to me. Podrick isn't anyone Tyrion just randomly meets, he's his squire and it makes sense that Tyrions asks about Podrick's age at one point.

Depends how interested he was in his squire, but i get your point and personnaly i think he would have asked.

So what we have here is two conflicting sources but since both are from the books there is no way to determine which one is correct. So for now we can not do anything about this.

For what it's worth, I think, there are sources from George that state that the Doom took place a century before the Conquest, and the Conquest began in 2 BC, so 102 BC would be the date of the Doom if 100 years/century time period were accurate.

In that sense, we don't really need clarification for that.

@Thomaerys Velaryon has updated Visenya Targaryen's year of birth based on FaB stating she is 2 years older then her brother Aegon who was born in 27 BC.

While that would most likely put her birth in 29 BC i have some doubts it can be stated as certainty because of 2 reasons.

1: we do not know if its exactly 2 years or maybe a little more or less.

2: we do not know where in the year Aegon was born

This means that if Aegon was born early in the Year and its a little more then 2 years between them Visenya could have been born in late 30 BC and not 29 BC

I do not want to change anything unless more people agree so i am asking for other people's opinion on this, spesificaly i am hoping @Rhaenys_Targaryen whille chime in since you are the driving force behind the wiki timeline project.

2 hours ago, direpupy said:

@Thomaerys Velaryon has updated Visenya Targaryen's year of birth based on FaB stating she is 2 years older then her brother Aegon who was born in 27 BC.

While that would most likely put her birth in 29 BC i have some doubts it can be stated as certainty because of 2 reasons.

This means that if Aegon was born early in the Year and its a little more then 2 years between them Visenya could have been born in late 30 BC and not 29 BC

I do not want to change anything unless more people agree so i am asking for other people's opinion on this, spesificaly i am hoping @Rhaenys_Targaryen whille chime in since you are the driving force behind the wiki timeline project.

Since we've got the rule that if a maester mentions the age of a character, he usually refers to the age the character would reach that year (unless a character was born really late in year), we should also understand that a certain difference of years means an event took place that amount of years before another year (unless there is a reason to think differently). 

54 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Since we've got the rule that if a maester mentions the age of a character, he usually refers to the age the character would reach that year (unless a character was born really late in year), we should also understand that a certain difference of years means an event took place that amount of years before another year (unless there is a reason to think differently). 

That guideline (its not a rule) also states very explisitly that it does not always apply, unfortunatly its not described when it does and when it does not apply. 

On 12/17/2021 at 11:41 AM, direpupy said:

On 12/17/2021 at 3:13 PM, direpupy said:

That guideline (its not a rule) also states very explisitly that it does not always apply, unfortunatly its not described when it does and when it does not apply. 

While I don't check the forum daily anymore, I do still check in with some frequency :)

The situation you describe would be an exception to the guideline. If the source says Aegon was born in 27 BC and that Visenya was two years older, we should indeed place het birth in 29 BC, until a future source specifies the placements of the births in the respective years.

On 12/10/2021 at 8:13 PM, Lord Varys said:

For what it's worth, I think, there are sources from George that state that the Doom took place a century before the Conquest, and the Conquest began in 2 BC, so 102 BC would be the date of the Doom if 100 years/century time period were accurate.

In that sense, we don't really need clarification for that.

Just like events 'a decade ago' are not always exactly ten years, and 'a thousand years' does not always mean exactly a thousand years, 'a century' does not necessarily have to mean 'exactly a hundred years before'.

And since the phrasing in TWOIAF resulted in discussion on the correct interpretation, it is nice to have now this confirmation

Bit of an issue with image copyrights:

I while ago I asked about using a piece of fanart I really like for Jeyne Arryn, but Ran said we couldn't without asking the permission of the artist first.

So I finally got around to that, and she wrote back and gave me permission:

https://twitter.com/asoiafattherite/status/1474403022218403847

So I loaded it up onto the wiki...only to find that someone else had already loaded up some of her artwork, including this one.

Actually, back in November, Dwellordream loaded up 20 different pieces of artwork by Riotarttherite.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Category:Images_by_Riotarttherite

But when I contacted her this week, she didn't seem to have knowledge of ever being asked for permission before. On closer inspection, the 20 artworks already loaded up don't actually cite a specific statement of permission: they credit her with the artwork but just link back to her Tumblr in general. DID she give permission for all these other artworks?

I think she should be contacted about this. I'm not good with legal copyright stuff.

If she had never been contacted, yeah, this images should not be there. It's absolutely imperative that we have permission for any artwork we use. RH has been fine with our using stuff from their publications, as has FFG IIRC, but fan artists should have a say.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do we have a standard for real life date formatting? The article for AGOT mentions a publication date of "6 August 1996", ASOS has "August 8, 2000", AFFC has "October 17 2005", TWOIAF has "October 28th, 2014", TLOIAF has "30 October, 20120" in the infobox, etc.

Since GRRM is American, my personal preference would be Month Day Year without the ordinal (August 6, 1996). 

16 hours ago, Nittanian said:

Do we have a standard for real life date formatting? The article for AGOT mentions a publication date of "6 August 1996", ASOS has "August 8, 2000", AFFC has "October 17 2005", TWOIAF has "October 28th, 2014", TLOIAF has "30 October, 20120" in the infobox, etc.

Since GRRM is American, my personal preference would be Month Day Year without the ordinal (August 6, 1996). 

GRRM himself may be american but aSoIaF is a worldwide phenomena and MDY is only used in the Philippines and the USA so using MDY may be confusing to the majority of the people coming to the Wiki. I do agree that there should be one format for this for uniformity.

4 hours ago, direpupy said:

GRRM himself may be american but aSoIaF is a worldwide phenomena and MDY is only used in the Philippines and the USA so using MDY may be confusing to the majority of the people coming to the Wiki. I do agree that there should be one format for this for uniformity.

How about Day Month Year (6 August 1996)?