The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

All right I think I have deleted all the information coming from the RPG guide now. I've only left the articles and mentions to unnamed seats that have been given names in the guide (Castle Lychester, Harroway Tower, Mormont Keep, Oakenshield Castle and Pebbleton Tower).

Also @The Wondering Wolf you have created a page for a recent Lord Darry two years ago. I'm not sure about his canonicity anymore.

3 hours ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

I've only left the articles and mentions to unnamed seats that have been given names in the guide (Castle Lychester, Harroway Tower, Mormont Keep, Oakenshield Castle and Pebbleton Tower)

Maybe rename the pages to something like 'Castle of House Lychester'?

3 hours ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

Also @The Wondering Wolf you have created a page for a recent Lord Darry two years ago. I'm not sure about his canonicity anymore.

I think the infamous line of the three Darrys who died during the War of the Five Kings establishes the existance of a Lord Darry who died after Raymun and before Lyman. This is further supported by the Guardians of Order RP book, which has more input from GRRM than the GR one. So I think the article itself should remain, but I'm not sure about some of the content.

Inspired by @Thomaerys Velaryon's clean-up (Thanks a lot, by the way!): The wiki still has all those pages for the GoT lineage book characters.

On 6/11/2022 at 10:42 PM, Ran said:

Agreed, MUSH character stuff needs to go. We are not going to confirm which characters or events are from GRRM in general. The wiki is for fully canon material, i.e. written, co-written, or otherwise directly overseen by George where he confirms that he has overseen things. He did not give approvals for individual props (like that lineage book from GoT) and we know explicitly he did not have any direct involvement in the Telltale game.

Does this mean we/I should delete those character pages? Like for example Maynard Umber.

Another question: Middleton and Yore are considered crownlands settlements, because during the Dance of the Dragons two people coming from the Blackwater Rush, Garrick Hall of Middleton and Moslander of Yore, joined the march from (the way I understand it) the western shore of the Gods Eye to Tumbleton. Could they not also have come from the riverlands part of the Blackwater?

8 hours ago, Alyx Rivers said:

The wiki still has all those pages for the GoT lineage book characters.

Does this mean we/I should delete those character pages? Like for example Maynard Umber.

A single page for this prop with the people mentioned in it on that page should be enough, purely so that people looking for information on the prop can find it we do after all have information pages on the show.

So i would say yes they should be deleted.

8 hours ago, Alyx Rivers said:

Another question: Middleton and Yore are considered crownlands settlements, because during the Dance of the Dragons two people coming from the Blackwater Rush, Garrick Hall of Middleton and Moslander of Yore, joined the march from (the way I understand it) the western shore of the Gods Eye to Tumbleton. Could they not also have come from the riverlands part of the Blackwater?

Yes they could have, since most of the battles and the march where on the western shore of the God's Eye it would actually be more likely that they came from the Riverland part of the Blackwater.

Edited by direpupy

Most of the GOT characters mentions are just a mention. We don’t have any/a lot of details about them. So @direpupy‘s idea of gathering all of that in one article is pretty good in my opinion.

As for Middleton and Yore, we don’t know their precise locations, either in the riverlands or the crownlands. I think we should use the unknown region template instead of the crownlands one. Technically the Blackwater Rush has sources and tributaries in the westerlands too. But given the direction of the army marching and the fact that the westerlands was all in for the Greens, I doubt Garrick Hall of Middleton and Moslander of Yore were westermen.

Edited by Thomaerys Velaryon

I have created a new page for the lineage book characters now. It's still pretty rough, though I'm not entirely sure how to make it look less confusing. Anyone wanting to pretty it up, is certainly welcome.

What I'm also unsure about is the amount of information to include. Should it be everything that's currently on their character pages like I did for the first three Baratheons or nothing but their names, or would the family trees have been enough, or what do you think?

I think we can keep the amount of information pretty low by linking the characters to their articles on the GOT wiki.

Even though I made the family tree for those characters, I think we should delete them too. I'd like to replace them with the template "Tree list" to make it appear more like the appendices at the end of the books. However, I don't know how to create this template to use it in the ASOIAF wiki.

I put a link to the Lineage book page on the GOT wiki at the bottom, since that one has transcriptions of all the pages and therefore all the info about the characters by default.

I don't know how to create such a template either, but I've put the information in a format similar to how the appendices are displayed on the wiki, and it already looks much better, in my opinion.

About the family trees: I've created new trees, based on the old GOT ones (yours then?), without the links and displaying absolutely nothing more than what the book prop shows. They're at the bottom of the new page, for those people who can better visualise things that way. Do you think, those are superfluous then? Where are the old GOT trees being used?

When I start deleting character pages, it would probably be better to turn them into redirects and not delete them completely, right?

On 7/3/2022 at 10:22 PM, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

However, I don't know how to create this template to use it in the ASOIAF wiki.

Creating this particular template would involve editing the wiki's stylesheet, which only @Ran can do.

Alternatively, the TemplateStyles extension could be installed to allow editors to create template with custom styling without editing the site's CSS.

I can install it at some point, but I admit I'd need to re-read about how to do it easily. There's a metric ton of transcluded templates that seem to go into it and I admit it's rather daunting.

I have a question about behind the scenes stuff, if i am not mistaken for inspirations mentioned there should be a source confirming that George was inspired or based something on the mentioned real life thing?

It can not be speculation but has to be confirmed, or am i wrong about this? I am asking because sometimes there is no source and its just speculation.

Edited by direpupy

I think maybe one could point out a journalistic, critical, or scholarly source that draws a connection between events and characters and history/mythology/whatever, showing how scholars/journalists/critics have looked at something, but you need a source. Can't just inject speculation.

Have any example(s) you're thinking of?

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I think maybe one could point out a journalistic, critical, or scholarly source that draws a connection between events and characters and history/mythology/whatever, showing how scholars/journalists/critics have looked at something, but you need a source. Can't just inject speculation.

Have any example(s) you're thinking of?

The direct reason i decided to ask is that Vaith put up a behind the scenes today for the page on the Cymmeri, but whitout a source and i did not want to undo it whitout beeing sure that it should have one. I have changed it now based on you answering my question.

Edited by direpupy

On 7/4/2022 at 11:26 PM, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

@Abjiklam and @Ran

It was only a proposition on my part. If you don't agree, then don't bother with it. I'm okay with leaving it as it is. ;)

I've copied over all the relevant templates and subtemplates here:

@Ran In order for the templates to work, we must copy the content of Template:Tree list/styles.css into the wiki's CSS. Since every rule starts with ".treeview", this should have no effect on anything else in the wiki.

8 minutes ago, Abjiklam said:

Unfortunately the CSS that is loaded on the site is still the old cached version (see here). Playing with the URL, for example by setting debug=true, shows that the new CSS exists, but it just doesn't load on the site.

I suspect it may be cached somewhere. I'll see what I can do about that.