Onion Knight

The ASOIAF wiki thread

23 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

They look very good! Much better than the options/solutions we had thusfar! :D This will allow us to display up to four marriages within one family tree template at the same time, right?

I am not very familiar with CSS codes necessary to increase the possibilities in template, but perhaps you know this. Do you think it is possible to add a note box within a family tree template (like, for example, this family tree on wikipedia (ignoring that they use it to display references, :) ))? We don't use notes in family trees often, but the few times that we do, the Notes template now needs to be added to the page to display everything properly, and by having the option of having a note box within the family tree templates (which lists only the notes from within the family tree) would circumvent that.

Yep, up to four. :) If you like, it might be possible to even do six (three lines coming out of each side), though that might look a little crowded, and the name box would probably end up taller than usual.

Regarding notes, sure that's possible, with no CSS or anything, just regular wiki coding. It's the same as when we add the ref tag in a family tree, you can add the {{references}} section at the bottom while still in the included part of the template. But instead of adding ==Notes== to set it off, you'd just do '''Notes:''' or something with a table format like in that wikipedia tree you linked. And to make sure it stays separate from the other references or notes on the page that the tree might be transcluded into, you'd do <ref group="T">note</ref> and {{references|group="T"}} or something like that. You can see an example of how it could look at the top of my sandbox.

Though I'm not sure what would happen if two separate family trees with notes were included on the same page (like for ancestors and descendants), it might duplicate the notes from each tree? But I think they're rare enough that that wouldn't happen.

But if you do want to do fun things with CSS and family trees, it would be really easy to put a border around a family tree (and its notes), like in that wikipedia example, or set it off with a different color background, add that v*t*e and hide, anything you like...

Edited by Mindset

23 minutes ago, Ran said:

@Mindset

Done and done.

Thanks so much! I noticed a tiny error though -- there's a lost semicolon after that

div { text-align: left !important; };

that was in the mobile.css before, which needs to be removed. Also, because of that !important (I'm not sure why it's there but I assume it's important ;)) there needs to be a tiny change to one line:

div.templatequotetext { margin:0 3em 0 2.5em; text-align:justify !important; font-style:italic; }

Again, thank you.

55 minutes ago, Mindset said:

Well, the real fix is to remove the line breaks and just use <br> tags alone (so that the wikitext looks like text<br>text), which we should be doing as we adjust the sources for all the quotes anyway. But since that will take a while to find them all, I've set a div to contain the text to handle those exceptions. It'll need a small CSS change, though.

So instead of 

{{Quote|'''Melisandre''': Are you a good man, Davos Seaworth?<br>
'''Davos''': I am a man. I am kind to [[Marya Seaworth|my wife]], but I have known other women. I have tried to be a father to my sons, to help make them a place in this world. Aye, I've broken laws, but I never felt evil until tonight. I would say my parts are mixed, m'lady. Good and bad.<br>
'''Melisandre''': A grey man. Neither white nor black, but partaking of both.{{ref|aCoK|42}}}} – [[Melisandre]] and Davos

it would be better to this?

{{Quote|'''Melisandre''': Are you a good man, Davos Seaworth?<br>'''Davos''': I am a man. I am kind to [[Marya Seaworth|my wife]], but I have known other women. I have tried to be a father to my sons, to help make them a place in this world. Aye, I've broken laws, but I never felt evil until tonight. I would say my parts are mixed, m'lady. Good and bad.<br>'''Melisandre''': A grey man. Neither white nor black, but partaking of both.{{ref|aCoK|42}}}} – [[Melisandre]] and Davos

@Nittanian, yep, or even better, like this

{{Quote|'''Melisandre''': Are you a good man, Davos Seaworth?<br>'''Davos''': I am a man. I am kind to [[Marya Seaworth|my wife]], but I have known other women. I have tried to be a father to my sons, to help make them a place in this world. Aye, I've broken laws, but I never felt evil until tonight. I would say my parts are mixed, m'lady. Good and bad.<br>'''Melisandre''': A grey man. Neither white nor black, but partaking of both.{{ref|aCoK|42}}|[[Melisandre]] and Davos}}

to get the benefits of the quote citation part of the template. But the div fix is handling exception errors like that for conversations, so it won't look messy anymore, so no big rush.

On 5/16/2018 at 10:44 PM, Mindset said:

Yep, up to four. :) If you like, it might be possible to even do six (three lines coming out of each side), though that might look a little crowded, and the name box would probably end up taller than usual.

O, that might be an excellent idea! It would be useful for Maegor, for example, or Rohanne Webber. 

Regarding running short of letters to use as codes, there should be plenty of letters left to add those options, right? Can't we use both lower case and capital letters?

On 5/16/2018 at 10:44 PM, Mindset said:

Regarding notes, sure that's possible, with no CSS or anything, just regular wiki coding. It's the same as when we add the ref tag in a family tree, you can add the {{references}} section at the bottom while still in the included part of the template. But instead of adding ==Notes== to set it off, you'd just do '''Notes:''' or something with a table format like in that wikipedia tree you linked. And to make sure it stays separate from the other references or notes on the page that the tree might be transcluded into, you'd do <ref group="T">note</ref> and {{references|group="T"}} or something like that. You can see an example of how it could look at the top of my sandbox.

Though I'm not sure what would happen if two separate family trees with notes were included on the same page (like for ancestors and descendants), it might duplicate the notes from each tree? But I think they're rare enough that that wouldn't happen.

But if you do want to do fun things with CSS and family trees, it would be really easy to put a border around a family tree (and its notes), like in that wikipedia example, or set it off with a different color background, add that v*t*e and hide, anything you like...

I'll have to try it then! Thanks for the explanation! :)

I think I stumbled onto something which I wrote as an update to the "Currency" page:  I was re-reading The Rogue Prince and realized it actually did give our first and only example of a numerical money value from the Dance of the Dragons era (or thereabouts).  This wasn't in the list before.

In the year 120 AC, of the Red Spring, when Laenor Velaryon was killed, his father Corlys Velaryon offered a reward of 10,000 gold dragons for information leading to the capture of his murderer.  

….which is curiously small, given that he was arguably the richest living man in Westeros, and Laenor was his only (legitimate...) son and designated heir.  Compare to the tournament prizes in 298 AC - 10,000 for the winning archer (albeit an extravagant kingdom-wide royal-level contest), 40,000 to the winner of the joust.  

…..but this is the opposite of the pattern seen in Dunk & Egg, when money values were HIGHER in spring years.

It's not my idea, I read it in a medieval economics paper about Westeros by Mondschein (which was great) regarding Dunk & Egg:

compare to the medieval warming and cooling periods (1000 to 1200, then 1300 to 1600's).  Every winter/summer cycle in Westeros would follow that pattern in miniature.  Basically, every "summer" is an economic "boom" period, every winter an economic "bust" period.  

Thus the first book of ASOIAF under Robert Baratheon, at the end of summer, is at the tail end of an economic growth boom, while stories set in SPRING would be after an economic bust just ended.  

Due to scarce goods & products, the numerical value of prices increases in winter...but by spring, so many workers have died that labor is scarce, so wages increase.   This makes everything balance out - 3 plus gold dragons is considered a fair price for a horse in the Dunk & Egg era, but 1 gold dragon is considered a fair price by Jaime and Brienne.  

….of course, Dunk & Egg is coming off of the First Blackfyre Rebellion not too long before, while The Rogue Prince is coasting along 70 years of economic prosperity and peace in the Targaryen golden age.  Which one affects price more? Prolonged peace, or seasonal-influenced economic growth cycles?

...my only tentative theory is that 70 years of Targaryen peace far outweighed seasonal influences on the economy, and thus money values would be LOWER in the lead-up to the Dance compared to the main novels (prices go up in times of scarcity, they go down in times of plenty).  All this is tentative.  (shrug)  We'll have Fire & Blood soon enough...

Edited by The Dragon Demands