Jump to content
Onion Knight

The ASOIAF wiki thread

Recommended Posts

Hmm, the House Stark page is giving an odd error message in the References section with the usage of {{ref|TWOIAF| The North: The Kings of Winter}}. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nittanian said:

Hmm, the House Stark page is giving an odd error message in the References section with the usage of {{ref|TWOIAF| The North: The Kings of Winter}}. 

I managed to fix it, although I have no idea what was causing the error, as the usage of each ref template using "The North: The Kings of Winter" was identical.

Turning them all into {{Ref|TWOIAF| The North}}, saving the page, and then turning them back into {{Ref|TWOIAF| The North: The Kings of Winter}} removed the error.

 

But it remains odd. The third parameter of the TWOIAF reference template contains no information, so if it differs from another, it simply receives its own 'slot' in the reference list. Additionally, the template gave no other errors on that page (only for "The Kings of Winter"), and "The Kings of Winter" gave no errors on other pages on which it was used (as far as I could see in a quick check).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect someone accidentally set an invisible character of some sort in one of those entries and that's what caused the error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barristan Selmy's page reads:

Quote

Barristan considered seeking out Prince Viserys Targaryen, but the young exile had already begun showing signs of Targaryen madness.

No reference is listed for this sentence. That Viserys had begun to show signs of madness similar to Aerys is stated in ASOS 71, when Barristan is pardoned by Daenerys, but does anyone know where it is specifically said that Barristan had considered seeking out Viserys? 

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

No reference is listed for this sentence. That Viserys had begun to show signs of madness similar to Aerys is stated in ASOS 71, when Barristan is pardoned by Daenerys, but does anyone know where it is specifically said that Barristan had considered seeking out Viserys? 

ASOS Daenerys VI

Quote

She turned to Ser Barristan. "You protected my father for many years, fought beside my brother on the Trident, but you abandoned Viserys in his exile and bent your knee to the Usurper instead. Why? And tell it true."

"Some truths are hard to hear. Robert was a . . . a good knight . . . chivalrous, brave . . . he spared my life, and the lives of many others . . . Prince Viserys was only a boy, it would have been years before he was fit to rule, and . . . forgive me, my queen, but you asked for truth . . . even as a child, your brother Viserys oft seemed to be his father's son, in ways that Rhaegar never did."

"His father's son?" Dany frowned. "What does that mean?"

Maybe it should be reworded to "Barristan declined seeking out Prince Viserys Targaryen, as the young exile had already begun showing signs of Targaryen madness."?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2018 at 2:55 PM, Nittanian said:

ASOS Daenerys VI

Maybe it should be reworded to "Barristan declined seeking out Prince Viserys Targaryen, as the young exile had already begun showing signs of Targaryen madness."?

I think perhaps the passage should simply say something like "Instead of seeking out Prince Viserys Targaryen, Barristan accepted a pardon from King Robert I Baratheon".

In any case, Viserys' s mental state is cited as half of the reason in the quote, so should not be displayed as the only reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ran,

From The Merchant's Man in ADWD

Quote

It  was  possible  to  go  overland  to  Meereen,  that  much  was  true.  The  old  Valyrian  roads  would take  them there.  Dragon  roads,  men  called  the great  stone  roadways  of  the Freehold,  but  the  one that ran  eastward  from  Volantis  to  Meereen  had  earned  a  more sinister  name:  the  demon  road. 

 

Would you happen to know if the road that goes south from Mantarys to Oros and next westward following the coast back to the road between Mantarys and Volantis is also part of the demon road?

Or is this road one with a different (and to the readers unknown) name? Or simply something that is not confirmed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2018 at 8:04 AM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I think perhaps the passage should simply say something like "Instead of seeking out Prince Viserys Targaryen, Barristan accepted a pardon from King Robert I Baratheon".

In any case, Viserys' s mental state is cited as half of the reason in the quote, so should not be displayed as the only reason.

In the quote, Barristan states he had concerns about supporting Viserys because of his youth and his behavior. In contrast, Barristan felt that Robert was a chivalrous and merciful knight. That content is already in the wiki article, isn't it?

Quote

Barristan considered seeking out Prince Viserys Targaryen, but the young exile had already begun showing signs of Targaryen madness. Because the lives of Barristan and many others had chivalrously been spared during the war, Barristan [maybe add "instead"?] took King Robert I Baratheon's pardon and was named Lord Commander of Robert's Kingsguard.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2018 at 4:47 PM, Nittanian said:

In the quote, Barristan states he had concerns about supporting Viserys because of his youth and his behavior. In contrast, Barristan felt that Robert was a chivalrous and merciful knight. That content is already in the wiki article, isn't it?

 

Well, "the young exile" does not reflect that Barristan indicates Viserys's age as an objection, so that should be reworded a bit. :) 

How about:

Quote

Barristan considered seeking out Prince Viserys Targaryen, but the exile was too young to rule on his own and had already begun showing signs of Targaryen madness. Because the lives of Barristan and many others had chivalrously been spared by King Robert I Baratheon during the war, Barristan [maybe add "instead"?] took his pardon and was named Lord Commander of Robert's Kingsguard.

The statement "too young to rule on his own" could link to the page [[regent]].

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made a comparison of the US/UK versions of the series, and found a few candidates for the errata.

Quote

Ser Davos Seaworth lingered over his tankard for a good while, thinking. A year and a half ago, he had been with Stannis in King’s Landing when King Robert staged a tourney for Prince Joffrey’s name day. -ACOK 10 Davos I, UK ver.

Should be A year ago, as in the US ver, since Joff's 13th nameday just passed a few chapters ago.

Quote

They were somewhere under the hill of Rhaenys, behind the Guildhall of the Alchemists. -ACOK 20 Tyion V, US ver.

Should be hill of Visenya, as in the UK ver. 

Quote

His own chambers in the Guest Keep had never seemed so chilly, though the thralls had left a brazier burning. -ACOK 24 Theon II, US ver.

Should be Bloody Keep, as in the UK ver.

Quote

Ser Cleos Frey left that very afternoon, escorted by Vylarr and a hundred red-cloaked Lannister guardsmen. The men Robb Stark had sent joined them at the King’s Gate for the long ride west. -ACOK 25 Tyrion VI, US ver.

Should be Gate of the Gods, as in the UK ver. Robb's men remained at Gate of the Gods in ACOK Tyrion V.

Quote

He’d owned a sword named Lion’s Tooth once, Sansa remembered. Arya had taken it from him and thrown it in a river.

It's Lion’s Paw in the UK ver, and that's probably the "correct" version, as so spake Martin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I changed the way featured content gets chosen on the Main Page and I'd like to give my rationale in case anyone wonders or objects:

The previous way this was done was by calculating the number of days left in the year. This was done in a complicated way using lots of template calls, and it results in each date featuring the same article year after year. Moreover, if we ever get more than 366 featured quotes, articles or did you know's, some of them will always be ignored.

The way I've changed it works by calculating the number of days since January 1, 1970 a.k.a. the starting date for UNIX time. This simplifies the calculation with a single template call and it makes sure we never run out of spots! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Abjiklam said:

 

The way I've changed it works by calculating the number of days since January 1, 1970 a.k.a. the starting date for UNIX time. This simplifies the calculation with a single template call and it makes sure we never run out of spots! ;)

Sounds great! Thank you!

I still haven't tested out your responsive design fix for the front page. Will try and do it this week. Trying to hammer out the previously reported issue with emails not getting out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2018 at 6:59 PM, Abjiklam said:

I changed the way featured content gets chosen on the Main Page and I'd like to give my rationale in case anyone wonders or objects:

The previous way this was done was by calculating the number of days left in the year. This was done in a complicated way using lots of template calls, and it results in each date featuring the same article year after year. Moreover, if we ever get more than 366 featured quotes, articles or did you know's, some of them will always be ignored.

The way I've changed it works by calculating the number of days since January 1, 1970 a.k.a. the starting date for UNIX time. This simplifies the calculation with a single template call and it makes sure we never run out of spots! ;)

Cool! :D I had previously created that "days left in the year" template, as to allow for more than 30 featured articles to show on the main page. It was the only way I could manage to achieve the result I wanted, but this is of course way better! So thank you very much!

You seem to know a great deal about templates and their coding, and despite my attempts to learn, my knowledge on them is still rather small. So I've posted a question regarding a new issue I found on your talk page on the wiki. I hope you don't mind! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

So thank you very much!

My pleasure :)

14 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I've posted a question regarding a new issue I found on your talk page on the wiki.

Yeah the images in infoboxes are still not responsive, and neither are the images within the body of articles. As far as I can tell, templates can't fix this and the only way would be to edit the wiki's CSS. Definitely doable though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Abjiklam said:

My pleasure :)

Yeah the images in infoboxes are still not responsive, and neither are the images within the body of articles. As far as I can tell, templates can't fix this and the only way would be to edit the wiki's CSS. Definitely doable though.

Would you happen to have any idea what needs to be changed in the CSS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2018 at 6:36 PM, Abjiklam said:

I think I have a working css on my own common.css.

You can copy the section about "infoboxes" and "images on mobile" to your own css, and check Template:Infobox/test and the Sandbox.

I tried this. The images on the Sandbox page and Template:Infobox/test respond very well. Can this css information simply be copied (by a person authorized to edit such pages) into the common.css of the entire wiki?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I tried this. The images on the Sandbox page and Template:Infobox/test respond very well. Can this css information simply be copied (by a person authorized to edit such pages) into the common.css of the entire wiki? 

I made a version that can be copied directly at User:Abjiklam/update.css.

After the css is updated, Module:Infobox and Module:Hatnote will need to be slightly adjusted as well.

In the css file, there is styling updates for the following:

  • Infoboxes on desktop and mobile
  • Thumbnail images on mobile
  • Template documentations
  • Unbulleted lists (a.k.a. "plainlists") to be used inside infoboxes

Eventually, it would be nice if we could make navboxes collapsible like they used to be, and maybe even make them work on mobile. That would require editing the javascript which I think is not possible at the moment. The site's navbar would also need some minor adjustments as it doesn't look good for some screen resolutions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×