The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

Anybody find a reference?

I only found speculation. Most of it that Jaqen is hooded man and some that he is the man in front.

If any of those actors were meant to be Jaqen, Rorge or Biter, it's likely they'd be credited somewhere (if not on the same episode, than on a resume somewhere, like the actors playing Bracken, Karstark and Glover were). Since they're not, I'd hold fire on identifying them as anyone.

On the TV Wiki, the rule we follow is that we only make entries for things we are sure of, and that goes doubly so for the pictures (although I note someone's assigned a picture to Maege Mormont when we don't have confirmation she's in the series or that is supposed to be her, so that may have to be changed). Since there is no information on any of those three actors being meant to represent book characters, I wouldn't use pictures for any of them, unless that changes in the interim.

They are completely able of recasting minor bits like Rorge and Biter, if they felt it was important to have them in there and then wanted to cast the roles properly in the 2nd season. For example, there's no reason to think that the actor who played Beric in episode 6 will be playing the role in the 3rd season (if it comes to it). It's just one of those cost-saving measures people may have to get used to.

How do you know if you are sure? I have not seen a lot of references on your wiki

I don't understand. There is no information available anywhere (that I have been able to find) about any actor playing Rorge, Biter or Jaqen, or those extras meaning to represent them. If there's no information, it cannot be used and you can't reference something that doesn't exist.

And yeah, we need more references for the behind-the-scenes pages (there already is on the Production Timeline page, over 300 of them, in fact). We started off using them but it got a little silly with redundant information (1: The episode, 2: The episode, 3: The episode, 4: The episode, 5: The preceding episode, 6: The episode). Yet something else that can go on The List.

• 2 weeks later...

Err, quick question after looking over the winterfell wiki article. Why is there no mention of the "Glass Gardens" of Winterfell. Martin mentions in a correspondence about how some places like Winterfell maintain greenhouses to in order to provide food. Right now I'm having a bit of difficulty tracking its mentions to get an idea of where it was or what it might have looked like, so if anyone else knows better would it be alright if someone added a mention of it? Even Ice and Fire wikia has it for their Winterfell article.

Edit: Also, where is Gerold Dayne exactly on the House of Dayne page? He's not on the roster for their tree. He should at least get an offshoot branch attached to Artur as his cousin, until it becomes clear where his line comes from exactly.

Edited by Howling North

Err, quick question after looking over the winterfell wiki article. Why is there no mention of the "Glass Gardens" of Winterfell. Martin mentions in a correspondence about how some places like Winterfell maintain greenhouses to in order to provide food. Right now I'm having a bit of difficulty tracking its mentions to get an idea of where it was or what it might have looked like, so if anyone else knows better would it be alright if someone added a mention of it? Even Ice and Fire wikia has it for their Winterfell article.

Edit: Also, where is Gerold Dayne exactly on the House of Dayne page? He's not on the roster for their tree. He should at least get an offshoot branch attached to Artur as his cousin, until it becomes clear where his line comes from exactly.

About Gerold Dayne: he is from the cadet branch; House Dayne of High Hermitage so he is probably a very distant cousin. House Dayne of High Hermitage has its own page like the two houses of House Vance and the houses of house Flint.

About Gerold Dayne: he is from the cadet branch; House Dayne of High Hermitage so he is probably a very distant cousin. House Dayne of High Hermitage has its own page like the two houses of House Vance and the houses of house Flint.

Ah, I was always confused about that thanks for the clarification. Wish there was a way to track all these houses and their connections to one another. Would probably make for a very cool tree.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I tried logging in to the Wiki with my account from here, and it didn't work. Is there some new protocol? I don't feel like reading this thread. I just wanted to fix some typos. (I'm using it as I do my re-read, and I've noticed quite a few.) Also, I'm assuming spoilers won't be going on to it in the immediate future? I noticed that AFFC is not even covered on most pages, but I just wanted to be sure. I will probably get to ADWD in a week or so, so I'm probably safe, eh?

That's because of the bridge being down.

Good news, though: I shall attempt to put the bridge up tomorrow starting around 10 AM (Swedish time -- 4 AM Eastern) and for however long we can manage before SQL connection errors prove to be a problem. I'll drop a note here when I've done that. Then just head to the wiki and you should be logged in, or at least should be able to log in using your forum login.

• 2 weeks later...

For example, there's no reason to think that the actor who played Beric in episode 6 will be playing the role in the 3rd season (if it comes to it). It's just one of those cost-saving measures people may have to get used to.

This isn't quite true. There is one good reason to suppose the actor who played Beric will be back again as Beric: because he played Beric in the first instance. One can argue that the practicalities of the situation mean there is a good chance (even a likelihood) he won't be back. But this still does not change the fact that that he was unambiguously portrayed by that actor at least once already. That is direct evidence for the proposition that he will play him again, even if it turns out that he is unable to come back or they do not want him in the end. Or to put it another way: it is possible to have evidence supporting propositions that are untrue. This doesn't even rise to that level: it's evidence supporting a proposition whose truth value to us is currently unknown. What is known is any comprehensive wiki entry on Beric in the TV show will have to note that actor played Beric at least that one time: that is a fact that is not at all disputed.

This is also goes some way to explaining why the quasi-Maege cannot really be confirmed properly in the wiki yet: because even if we may suspect she was intended to be Maege we do not have any direct confirmation she was. If they do put Maege in at some point later on played by a different actress, I should say our position would have to go to being that quasi-Maege was not Maege unless we have another very good and direct reason to suppose that she was.

The only thing I can think of that would accomplish it in those circumstances would be someone known to be present directly acknowledging that Maege was present when Robb was first proclaimed King in the North...though even this might not be sufficient unless they also say Maege was the only woman present.

One of Amoka's pictures of Tyrion is also very different then GRRM describes him. So using a picture instead of a shot from the series is no guarantee that it is confirm the books.

Artist or actor it is all interpretation.

But I you see a good picture and get the permission of the artist then by all means add it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have a couple of suggestions for the wiki.

1) It is very hard for a newbie to actually register and change anything. It isn't clear on the wiki that you have to be a member of the forums, and now I have signed up for the forums I still can't edit anything. This has bugged me because of an error on the "Greyscale" page (not wanting to give spoilers).

2) I would like to strongly suggest abandoning putting "Date Of Death" in the right hand side box of the main details of a person. My main and only reason for this is spoilers - a newbie looking at the wiki for, say, family history, will immediately and impossibly be confronted with the fact that the character dies, and parts of the plot will be spoiled by knowing this. The same goes for spouses, for those that get married in the series, though this is less important. Spoilers by all means belong in the "Recent Events" under the relevant headings, but having deaths in bold is too much. Doubtless this has been mentioned before, but I want to reinforce it, as someone who had the main death of the first book spoiled for him because of this.

3) The maps from the books should be included on the "map" page, which currently only has Weseteros maps. Fan maps would also be nice, but not necessary.

Andy

Welcome Mrandy / Andy,

1 Have you tried going to the wiki using the Wiki "button" at the top of the page (between Members and Chat)? It is unfortunately no guarantee. The problem is that due to high traffic load the connection between the forum and the wiki does not work properly.

2 We have been thinking about adding extra filters (Show/Hide option) ; for some spoilers. I have an idea how to handle this but for it to work we need and extension of the wiki. And that is at the moment not possible (same problem as the Forum -> wiki connection).

3 For the maps I agree that the book maps are superior but we (at least me) are not sure if we are allowed to use them. They are copyright and may not fall under Fair Use. Besides the ideal from the Wiki foundation is to use material that is free to use for all.

I think that if we ask the copyright holders may allow us to show the maps on 1 page. But we use the fan maps for a lot of pages. I doubt we would be allowed to do so with the book maps. Besides usually the creator / copyright holder does not allow changes. So if we would want to show Winterfell on the map we would have to show the complete map and not a part like we are doing at the moment.

About the login it's best to ask RAN(?) to be sure but I think the bridge is down until further notice and if anything new comes up we would find it in the login thread.

About the maps, we should check it out because I got all the latest maps from aDwD form the publisher web site, it must be some kind of non commercial use license. Although those maps may not be ideal the artistic font can be confusing sometime(i got the h confused with b ).

I tried the button - to no avail. *shrugs* It's certainly not urgent, just emparting a newbie's perspective!

For the spoilers - yes I think that would be good, though my main issue was with the big box on the right of the screen. It's the first thing I look at - picture's draw the eye, after all - so it's the first place a spoiler would hit. Otherwise, it seems that one can keep spoilers in the main page - after all if the heading says "A Feast for Crows" and you read a spoiler, more fool you. Heh, it's not so bad though, I seem to remember removing Eddard's death (and almost every other plot detail from the first book) from the second paragraph of the "Game Of Thrones" book wikipedia page.

For the maps - ah I see, that makes sense. It just strikes me as one of the first things many people look for - particularly a political map. Easy to request, hard to make, though!

2 We have been thinking about adding extra filters (Show/Hide option) ; for some spoilers. I have an idea how to handle this but for it to work we need and extension of the wiki. And that is at the moment not possible (same problem as the Forum -> wiki connection).

Are you talking about the regular collapsible tables or some other extension? if its the former then all it takes is quick copy paste to common.css and common.js

if user JS is enabled, you could add that skin you made this functionality to test it.