The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

Alright, I need some opinions/clarifying. A few contributors have been adding info that the three-eyed crow is in fact Brynden Rivers, or Bloodraven. While I know that all signs point to him, he never flat out says this to Bran. Is this something we can conclude conclusively enough to put in pages on the Wiki as fact? Am I missing some glaring parts of the text where it is obvious enough to put in his bio? I put it in his page as a likely identity/theory, but others seem to want to state that it IS in fact him. For me it's equivalent to posting that R+L=J as fact on the Wiki. Am I crazy? What does everybody else think?

One nice thing with the upgrade we've done for the forum is that I now have an updated IPB Wiki bridge, as well. Can't have it up all the time... but this time, when it's on, it actually assigns wiki permission properly.

What this means is that, at last, I can edit Common.css. Scafloc, I know there were some tweaks we wanted (For spoiler code and so on), so drop me a PM (if available) or e-mail at [email protected] with the instructions.

A Dance with Dragons, page 522:

Well, since Aegon landed less than 300 years ago, that would make it 300 years before the landing. Of course the Wiki is obviously incorrect in saying "300 years after Aegon's landing", because we still haven't reached the year 300.

ETA: research because of erroneous Wiki entry.

I tried to edit the entry to change "after" to "before" and that action is limited to "Users", I guess I'm not one. :P

Edited by MtnLion

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone opposed to adding information from other media, most notably the two separate tabletop rpgs? Obviously it would need to be in it's own subsection of a article, much like some articles separate the tv show from the books. But there is a lot of background information provided in the rpgs that can be noted, as long as it is in it's own section that notates it's unknown canon status.

As far as I know, we haven't included information from the TV series in the main Wiki articles, with the exception of casting details. The content of the articles, sans those directly about the TV series such as this and this, is purely based on the books. I believe it was noted earlier in this thread that there is a TV-specific wiki and we are working on linking with it.

I am not very familiar with the RPGs, but I'm assuming that they would not be considered canon. I think that adding additional source material would be a good enrichment of the Wiki, but if we aren't adding info from the TV series (the biggest non-canon source) then the addition of info from the games seems a little odd and lopsided to me.

well I googled a little and :

asked about the RPG and he confirmed that he checked and provided background information for the concordanance, encyclopedia, geography, family and history sections, but had no say in the rules. The RPG is "canon" for the moment but he reserves the right to change any details in future novels. He did unreservedly approve of the artwork for the book.

Obviously the asoiaf book considered fully canon, the RPG seems to be considered canon, what else???? (obviously information in the books takes precedence but in the lack of thereof we should use it for example I recently used the currency info from the citadel.)

Edited by mor2

Our French friends have included information about the board games in the Wiki (for instance with Houses that have held Harrenhal). So I am in favor of doing the same.

We should add a reference so every reader can see where the information comes from.

I think it might be advisable to adopt a Star Wars-style 'level' system of canonicity. For example, I'd suggest something like this:

A level - everything in the Song of Ice and Fire novels and the Dunk 'n' Egg short stories. Where information conflicts, the more recent reference or the more frequent one is taken as being correct.

B level - pronouncements by GRRM; information given in SSM posts, interviews and blog entries; personal correspondence with GRRM (i.e. GRRM's descriptions of the Targaryen kings given in his emails to Amoka that they made public); information from the pen and paper RPGs provided directly by GRRM; information from spoiler chapters and book readings from signings/conventions etc. This information is assumed to be correct until it is supersceded or replaced by later information.

Non-canon - anything written by anyone other than GRRM, including material from the TV series, the Cyanide computer games, the pen and paper RPGs etc.

A rough rule like that might be helpful in determining what is canon and what isn't.

I think that draft chapters read out at cons should be considered semi-canon at best. GRRM changed a few things between early chapter readings of ADWD and the published books for example. A Rhoynar city named Anar in the original draft becae Ar Noy (I think) in the final book.

• 2 weeks later...

Just posting here cause Ran told me I have to in order to be able to edit the wiki.

I want to add "Calendar", maybe aliases seasons, winter, summer to the wiki, content:

"Years have no correlation to seasons. There will be an explanation for the seasons, GRRM has said, and it will not be a scientific one.

But science, namely astronomy, can tell us how a year is determined. As a planet makes its yearly orbit of its sun, various stars will appear at various points in the sky, varying about 30 degrees a month, in a 12 month year. So the maesters will have a pretty good idea, if the look at the heavens at, say, midnight of each new moon, of when a year has passed, astronomically.

Assuming years are of fixed duration, such observations would not even be needed - merely a calendar with a count of days. I imagine the maesters would check the stars anyway, from time to time, because they do things like that, and to make sure things do not get too far out of whack calendrically. " cited from:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/45393-time-in-westeros/

Thanks for the great site!

Just posting here cause Ran told me I have to in order to be able to edit the wiki.

I want to add "Calendar", maybe aliases seasons, winter, summer to the wiki, content:

"Years have no correlation to seasons. There will be an explanation for the seasons, GRRM has said, and it will not be a scientific one.

But science, namely astronomy, can tell us how a year is determined. As a planet makes its yearly orbit of its sun, various stars will appear at various points in the sky, varying about 30 degrees a month, in a 12 month year. So the maesters will have a pretty good idea, if the look at the heavens at, say, midnight of each new moon, of when a year has passed, astronomically.

Assuming years are of fixed duration, such observations would not even be needed - merely a calendar with a count of days. I imagine the maesters would check the stars anyway, from time to time, because they do things like that, and to make sure things do not get too far out of whack calendrically. " cited from:

http://asoiaf.wester...me-in-westeros/

Thanks for the great site!

The content of the wiki should be based on the books, remarks from GRRM or other sources like the games and the TV series. So with that in mind go ahead. The remark from GRRM about the seasons certainly belong here.