The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

I've been meaning to overhaul that article entirely, it keeps getting away from me,

Frankly, I think we need a conversation on the appropriate length of articles. There are way too many that are waaaaay too detailed. Some of the chapter synopses are getting out of hand too. They might as well just be a banner saying "Read the book".

I think we concluded that a number of articles are far too detailed, listing everything a character does in all their appearances. That's not really what the wiki is about. If an article seems to long to you, it probably is, and I recommend rolling back to whichever article was there before it was greatly expanded.

The Blue winter rose page has a couple of mistakes under the Lyanna section.

Lyanna Stark

[edit]

Out of the four lines, the first was is incorrect and the third is pretty speculative, though stated as if fact. I believe both should be removed. Ideally, all of the Lyanna-winter rose mentions should be (correctly) listed here. I would do it myself, but I found the code a bit intimidating.

Wrt to the first line, which is linked to Eddard I, I believe there is some confusion between the visit to the crypts by Ned and Robert and Ned's dream at the beginning of chapter 47 (Eddard XIII):

He was walking through the crypts beneath Winterfell, as he had walked a thousand times before. The Kings of Winter watched him pass with eyes of ice, and the direwolves at their feet turned their great stone heads and snarled. Last of all, he came to the tomb where his father slept, with Brandon and Lyanna beside him. “Promise me, Ned, “ Lyanna’s statue whispered. She wore a garland of pale blue roses, and her eyes wept blood.

I think Robert might have mentioned it if Lyanna's actual statue included a garland of winter roses, due to the association with Rhaegar. :)

For reference, all of the blue winter rose mentions in the series are listed in this thread.

Edited by J. Stargaryen

• 4 weeks later...

I spotted an error which I just wanted to clarify to make sure it was in fact an error, and not me being stupid. In the page for House Caron it states that in 299AL Brienne was betrothed to a Caron and that two years later he died of a chill along with Lord Caron, his wife and their daughters. But surely this can't be right? Brienne is fighting for Renly or Catelyn during 299AL and more to the point we haven't reached 2 years after 299AL yet? So this is mistaken right?

EDIT: Fixed the dates, my original mention was correct but yeah I typoed the other two as 199. Sorry! :P

Edited by protar

I spotted an error which I just wanted to clarify to make sure it was in fact an error, and not me being stupid. In the page for House Caron it states that in 299AL Brienne was betrothed to a Caron and that two years later he died of a chill along with Lord Caron, his wife and their daughters. But surely this can't be right? Brienne is fighting for Renly or Catelyn during 199AL and more to the point we haven't reached 2 years after 199AL yet? So this is mistaken right?

Don't know if it's just a typo from your part but the events of the books are around the 3rd century AL so 199 AL.

Yes, that part is incorrect, I've looked for other articles mentioning the same sort of content and it seems that the correct date should be 287 AL. From Bryen Caron's article it says that Brienne was promised to his youngest and second son but two years later in 289 AL, this son and most of Bryen's family, including himself, died of a chill. Seems a more reliable source of info so I've corrected it House Caron's article. Hope that clears it for you.

Thanks for reporting that mistake! ;)

Edited by Winterz

I also take it that the guy playing Grenn is not the Chairman of the National Jewish Democratic Council ;)

On the character page the link for the actor links to a wikipedia page of some politician. I do need to get an account for the wiki. :P

I also take it that the guy playing Grenn is not the Chairman of the National Jewish Democratic Council ;)

On the character page the link for the actor links to a wikipedia page of some politician. I do need to get an account for the wiki. :P

Hmm strange I pressed on it, and it directs to the List of actors wiki page in which the actor doesn't even have an entry. Are you sure about this?

EDIT: Ah spotted and corrected it.

Edited by Winterz

• 2 weeks later...

Hey you guys, I am new to the wiki and new to wikis in general. I can't figure out how to upload an image. I have what I feel is a more accurate representation of the House Thenn coat of arms based on the text but I've looked all over the wiki page and the page for the image and just don't see how to do it. I don't see how to edit anything on that page as a matter of fact except for the HousesNorth template at the bottom, which isn't what I need. Can anyone tell me how to do it? Do you need to have been here for a certain amount of time or get approved for edit permission? I have been a member for five days if that matters. Thanks.

*snip*

This is how you'll upload an image ;)

Well, I've never actually uploaded in this Wiki but I've done it a thousand times in others.

Anyway here's how you should do it:

a) Press the "Upload file" function in the left side tab (under "Toolbox")

B) Alright, now select the file from your computer (try to upload the images with best possible quality just for the sake of it ;) ).

c) Write in some small summary, the name of the person should be enough

d) Select licensing. Your options should be one of your choosing under "Your own work" section

e) Press to Upload it!

I'll create the suitable categories and add them once you've started uploading the images. If you wish, I may instruct you about them later on. With that amount of images, I think it will be good to give you your own category (it is sort of a gallery that will connect all your images, regardless of them being used or not).

About the licensing, it may be done in a different way. This is the (example) template:

Just fill in the permission (give a brief text explaining that you give authorization for its use in the Wiki), fill in the website with your link (may be your DeviaArt's profile/gallery) and owner with your author nickname.

Hmm, I don't have an upload link under toolbox as the above instructions describe. I wonder if I just don't have permissions or am too new. Here's what I've got under Toolbox in the left column of both the House Thenn page and the page that's just for the image of their coat of arms:

Toolbox

What links here

Related changes

Special pages

Printable version

Permanent link

No upload.

I am in a similar predicament. Cheers!

Here

You need something like 3-5 posts on the forum before you can edit.

But please don't raise your post count by spamming. There's plenty of themes that you may find interesting across the forums. I'm sure 1 or 3 more posts can't be that hard, eh? ;)

Edited by Winterz