The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

The year 284 AC/Weddings page should be updated as they say that Robert married Cersei in 284. It should be that he married Cersei in 285.

Ser Ilyns appointment had been a wedding gift from Robert Baratheon to the father of his bride, a sinecure to compensate Payne for the tongue hed lost in the service of House Lannister. He made a splendid headsman. He had never botched an execution, and seldom required as much as a second stroke. And there was something about his silence that inspired terror. Seldom had a Kings Justice seemed so well fitted for his office.

When Jaime decided to take him, he had sought out Ser Ilyns chambers at the end of Traitors Walk. The upper floor of the squat, half-round tower was divided into cells for prisoners who required some measure of comfort, captive knights or lordlings awaiting ransom or exchange. The entrance to the dungeons proper was at ground level, behind a door of hammered iron and a second of splintery grey wood. On the floors between were rooms set aside for the use of the Chief Gaoler, the Lord Confessor, and the Kings Justice. The Justice was a headsman, but by tradition he also had charge of the dungeons and the men who kept them.

And for that task, Ser Ilyn Payne was singularly ill suited. As he could neither read, nor write, nor speak, Ser Ilyn had left the running of the dungeons to his underlings, such as they were. The realm had not had a Lord Confessor since the second Daeron, however, and the last Chief Gaoler had been a cloth merchant who purchased the office from Littlefinger during Roberts reign. No doubt hed had good profit from it for a few years, until he made the error of conspiring with some other rich fools to give the Iron Throne to Stannis. They called themselves Antler Men, so Joff had nailed antlers to their heads before flinging them over the city walls. So it had been left to Rennifer Longwaters, the head undergaoler with the twisted back who claimed at tedious length to have a drop of dragon in him, to unlock the dungeon doors for Jaime and conduct him up the narrow steps inside the walls to the place where Ilyn Payne had lived for fifteen years.

In 300 AC (AFFC) Jaime says that Ilyn Payne has been King's Justice for 15 years and Ilyn Payne was appointed Justice as a wedding gift from Robert to Tywin. That means that Robert's marriage to Cersei occurred in 285, not 284.

Edited by The Khal Who Rode West

The year 284 AC/Weddings page should be updated as they say that Robert married Cersei in 284. It should be that he married Cersei in 285.

In 300 AC (AFFC) Jaime says that Ilyn Payne has been King's Justice for 15 years and Ilyn Payne was appointed Justice as a wedding gift from Robert to Tywin. That means that Robert's marriage to Cersei occurred in 285, not 284.

Ilyn's employment seems to have started in 285 AC, according to that quote. Cersei's wedding to Robert took place in 284 AC. There's math behind it, but the easiest proof for a wedding in 284 AC is this quote:

The events of Robert's Rebellion are revealed elsewhere and need no retellin gsave to note that Lord Tywin led a great Lannister host out of the west to capture King's Landing and the Red Keep for Robert Baratheon. Nigh unto three hundred years of Targaryen rule were brought to an end by the swords of Lord Tywin and his westermen. In the following year, King Robert I Baratheon took Lord Tywin's daughter, the Lady Cersei, to wife, joining two of the greatest and noblest houses in all Westeros.

Robert took the throne in 283 AC. "The following year" would be 284 AC.

In addition, we know that Joffrey was born rather early in 286 AC. We don't know the exact date of his birth, but we do know his conception would have taken place within the first six months of 285 AC, for his birth to occur when it does. His conception took place during the fortnight Cersei spent at Estermont, and she was at Estermont because Robert's kin had spent half a year at KL after Cersei's wedding. Even if Robert decided to visit the Estermonts the day after they left KL, it all pushes the wedding into 284 AC.

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

As I don't know how to state it properly. Any suggestions?

In Arya VIII I found: "Rorge halted. Something in his eyes ... could it be that he was scared of Jaqen H'ghar?"

It could just be included in Jaqen's Harrenhal paragraph that, according to Arya, Rorge might by afraid of him. Is it mentioned that Biter also fears Jaqen?

On the Daeron the Drunken page:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Daeron_Targaryen_(son_of_Maekar_I)

appears the following line: "He also told Ser Duncan about a dream he had. A great red dragon would fall on Ser Duncan, dead, but the knight would walk off alive."

The word "red" should be removed. Daeron's dream did not specify a color for the dragon, and that makes it seem like some sort of red/black dragon (i.e Blackfyre) reference. GRRM doesn't seem to have even invented (or fully invented) the idea of the Blackfyre Rebellions until after the Hedge Knight.

Are there any more opinions (as discussed here) on which image of Lyanna Stark should replace the current image?

I counted votes (five users expressed their opinions), and currently we've got:

- Riavel (current image) 1 vote

- Elia Fernandez 3 votes

- Dreambeing 2 votes

- Marcos Feittosa 1 vote

If no one else offers their opinions, I guess the image should be changed to Elia Fernandez' Lyanna? More votes would be very much appreciated :)

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

The Regency section of the Dance of the Dragons page is in my opinion too detailed and should include a see also/main article link rather than summarizing everything we know about that period. After all Aegon III's regency was not a part of the war.

Edit: There's also some speculation in that article, such as:

(given that Ser Mervyn was Peake's agent, he probably killed him on purpose so he could not implicate the other conspirators).[11]

What is our policy on putting things like that in ( ), by the way? It seems...un-wikish to me.

Edited by RumHam

The Regency section of the Dance of the Dragons page is in my opinion too detailed and should include a see also/main article link rather than summarizing everything we know about that period. After all Aegon III's regency was not a part of the war.

Yeah, I'm already cutting :) and writing it down for the correct page . If I can't finish tonight, I'll hide the text on the Dance of the Dragons page until I'm able to properly place it.

Edit: There's also some speculation in that article, such as:

What is our policy on putting things like that in ( ), by the way? It seems...un-wikish to me.

Should be removed, if you ask me.

Yeah, I'm already cutting :) and writing it down for the correct page . If I can't finish tonight, I'll hide the text on the Dance of the Dragons page until I'm able to properly place it.

Should be removed, if you ask me.

I agree it should be removed because it is speculation, but I'm also thinking it's poor wiki style to use parenthesis in that fashion (Though I do it all the time in text conversation.) Imagine the statement was not speculation, would you still think it should be changed to eliminate the parenthesis?

I agree it should be removed because it is speculation, but I'm also thinking it's poor wiki style to use parenthesis in that fashion (Though I do it all the time in text conversation.) Imagine the statement was not speculation, would you still think it should be changed to eliminate the parenthesis?

I think that, when it is done in canon text, it can be done on the wiki, but a user's own speculation should not go on there.

I changed the Dance of the Dragons#Regency section, and the Regency of Aegon III page, if you wish to see if anything is missing?

I'm not too familiar with the templates and I don't want to mess them up, but I noticed that the monarch infoboxes only contains a "Royal House" label but not an "other affiliation" label, and we have monarchs that have held other affiliations: for example, Harwyn Hardhand was also a Second Son, and that info should be included in the infobox.

I'm not too familiar with the templates and I don't want to mess them up, but I noticed that the monarch infoboxes only contains a "Royal House" label but not an "other affiliation" label, and we have monarchs that have held other affiliations: for example, Harwyn Hardhand was also a Second Son, and that info should be included in the infobox.

I'm not sure either; when I tried fiddling around with the template it gave a red link output of "Template:Affiliations" placed in the references portion.

From the Showdown at the Tower of Joy page:

With Ned's execution in King's Landing, Lord Reed is now the only survivor of the skirmish, and the only remaining witness of Eddard's promise to Lyanna.

I think the last part of that sentence is iffy. We don't know that Howland witnessed the promise. The fact that "they" found him holding her body suggests that they only arrived after Lyanna's death. I'm assuming Howland was part of that they. 

From the Showdown at the Tower of Joy page:

I think the last part of that sentence is iffy. We don't know that Howland witnessed the promise. The fact that "they" found him holding her body suggests that they only arrived after Lyanna's death. I'm assuming Howland was part of that they. 

If there is no source, it should be removed.

Aerys II did not lack for ambition. Upon his coronation, he declared that it was his wish to be the greatest king in the history of the Seven Kingdoms, a conceit certain of his friends encouraged by suggesting that one day he might be remembered as Aerys the Wise or even Aerys the Great.

His father's court had been made up largely of older, seasoned men, many of whom had also served during the reign of King Aegon V. Aerys II dismissed them one and all, replacing them with lords of his own generation. Most notably, he retired the aged and exceedingly cautious Hand, Edgar Sloane, and named in his place Ser Tywin Lannister, the heir to Casterly Rock. At twenty years of age, Ser Tywin thus became the youngest Hand in the history of the Seven Kingdoms. Many maesters to this day insist that his appointment was the wisest thing that "Aerys the Wise" ever did.

Do any of these count as Aerys' aliases? 

There was a post about paramours which appears to have vanished.

The Green Ronin campaign guide states in its Dorne chaper: "The Dornish even give special status to their paramours, granting them privileges unmatched by their peers in other parts of the Seven Kingdoms."

Aerys II did not lack for ambition. Upon his coronation, he declared that it was his wish to be the greatest king in the history of the Seven Kingdoms, a conceit certain of his friends encouraged by suggesting that one day he might be remembered as Aerys the Wise or even Aerys the Great.

His father's court had been made up largely of older, seasoned men, many of whom had also served during the reign of King Aegon V. Aerys II dismissed them one and all, replacing them with lords of his own generation. Most notably, he retired the aged and exceedingly cautious Hand, Edgar Sloane, and named in his place Ser Tywin Lannister, the heir to Casterly Rock. At twenty years of age, Ser Tywin thus became the youngest Hand in the history of the Seven Kingdoms. Many maesters to this day insist that his appointment was the wisest thing that "Aerys the Wise" ever did.

Do any of these count as Aerys' aliases? 

I would lean towards no, as Yandel is the only one to call him that and it's sarcastic and kind of an insult. 

There was a post about paramours which appears to have vanished.

The Green Ronin campaign guide states in its Dorne chaper: "The Dornish even give special status to their paramours, granting them privileges unmatched by their peers in other parts of the Seven Kingdoms."

I actually posted that in Small Questions, as I figured it would reach a bigger audience and wanted someone to track down the source. So it hasn't vanished yet. Of course it will when the board updates. 

The reason I started reading about Paramours on the wiki was because of this recent addition to the Polygamy article:

In Dorne it's not uncommon for a nobleman or a noblelady to have a spouse for political reasons and a paramour for love. This isn't polygamy in the traditional way, but the closest thing to that because paramours have an official status in the dornish society. Regardless of that children by paramours are bastards and have to use the surname "Sand" while the children by the spouse use the familyname and inherit.

Which should at least have sources added, though I'm not really sure it's relevant to polygamy at all. Unless we have something indicating that a Dornish paramour is practically a second wife.