The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

Can someone update Stannis' page? It reads in the ADWD section

According to a taunting letter written by Ramsay to Jon, Stannis was killed along with most of his army in seven days of battle.[44] Stannis's last known location was a snowed-in crofters' village three days west of Winterfell.[13][45][46] It is unknown, however, if Stannis is really dead, or if it is just a lie written by Ramsay.

Seeing as GRRM has confirmed that Stannis is still alive in the books, the last line is out of date

Arthur Merinovich

Aug. 19th, 2015 10:22 am (UTC)
alright mr Martin, lets cut the crap, is Stannis alive or dead

Aug. 26th, 2015 12:16 am (UTC)
In my books? Alive, beyond a doubt.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/438596.html?thread=22329668#t22329668

Edited by King of the Narrow Sea

Oppo appears in ADWD:

In the center of the square, under the cracked and headless statue of a dead triarch, a crowd had begun to gather about some dwarfs putting on a show. The little men were done up in wooden armor, miniature knights preparing for a joust. Quentyn saw one mount a dog, as the other hopped onto a pig... only to slide right off again, to a smattering of laughter.

Edit: I can't find a mention of him in the AFFC chapter cited, though. The dwarf's head presented to Cersei then is a sparrow's -- the one Brienne meets in Duskendale, it seems. Edited by Zizoz

If someone has time, could you fix
opening of this article
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Gerardys ?

Gerardys wasn't Viserys's and Aegon's grand maester, but maester of Dragonstone (and later black council's Grand Maester).

I don't have time and access to the PC, and I'm busy, because the school year started... Edited by Blue Tiger

• 2 months later...

Has anyone checked that the page numbers in the Table of Contents are correct? In particular, the US hardcover page number for AGOT Daenerys IV looks suspicious to me, as the lengths of that chapter and the previous don't seem to match up with other editions.

I own the first four books in paperback and ADWD in hardcover, all US editions. The ADWD US hardcover numbers are correct, and I'll check the US paperback numbers for the other four later.

The page numbers in that table are, for ACOK US paperback, based on Bantham September 2000 edition. Is it possible that's where the discrepancy is coming from, or are all the page numbers before and after still the same as yours? Because if they are, it might be that the 698 is a typo, though it might be worth to check that with someone who owns the Bantham 2000 edition.

All the other page numbers are the same, so I think it is a typo.

Edit: To strengthen my case: Consider the lengths of Arya IX and Daenerys IV in three different editions -- US hardcover (1999), US paperback (2000), UK hardcover (1998) -- based on the page numbers on the wiki page.

Arya IX: 16, 23, 15

Dany IV: 10, 11, 9

Comparing the page numbers of the last chapter (719, 956, 699) we see that the US paperback has about 33% more pages than the US hardcover and 37% more than the UK hardcover. If we attempt to predict the length of the two chapters in the paperback by their length in the US hardcover, we get about 21.3 and 13.3; using the UK hardcover numbers, we get 20.5 and 12.3. This lines up much better with my proposed correction, under which Arya IX would be 21 pages and Dany IV 13 pages. And since the hardcover editions referenced are from before 2000, that means that there would have to be something particularly odd about the 2000 edition, rather than something changing after 2000.

(I typed that up and then thought "wait, maybe this is overkill", but then I already had it typed so I figured might as well post...)

Edited by Zizoz

All the other page numbers are the same, so I think it is a typo.

Edit: To strengthen my case: Consider the lengths of Arya IX and Daenerys IV in three different editions -- US hardcover (1999), US paperback (2000), UK hardcover (1998) -- based on the page numbers on the wiki page.

Arya IX: 16, 23, 15

Dany IV: 10, 11, 9

Comparing the page numbers of the last chapter (719, 956, 699) we see that the US paperback has about 33% more pages than the US hardcover and 37% more than the UK hardcover. If we attempt to predict the length of the two chapters in the paperback by their length in the US hardcover, we get about 21.3 and 13.3; using the UK hardcover numbers, we get 20.5 and 12.3. This lines up much better with my proposed correction, under which Arya IX would be 21 pages and Dany IV 13 pages. And since the hardcover editions referenced are from before 2000, that means that there would have to be something particularly odd about the 2000 edition, rather than something changing after 2000.

(I typed that up and then thought "wait, maybe this is overkill", but then I already had it typed so I figured might as well post...)

That seems like a really large difference for Arya all of the sudden..? 

Posting this question here for some more replies... I don't have the answer for this, but for an overview of the houses, I think we can look at this page.. So does anyone know where the category "Other Houses" comes from and how it is determined whether or not a house falls into that category? 

Hi!

Big fan of the wiki here! While checking houses, I cannot fail to notice than while most Houses fall under the category "Noble Houses", other are put in a category called "Other Houses". 

This category often includes really minor houses, like the clans from the wolfswood (Bole, Branch, etc.); scions of greater houses (Lannett, Darke, Dargood), or really minor houses from the Iron Islands (Humble, Netley, Weaver). But while this makes sense for this type of houses, or for houses from the Neck (Boggs, Myre), it doesn't makes sense for other lordly houses included in the "Other Houses" category. 

In the Reach, for example, you find there old and noble houses like Ball, Fossoway, Webber, Graceford. Some of them, like the Fossoways, are quite powerful ones. In the North you can also find the likes of House Stout there.

In my opinion, it doesn't make much sense to keep those kind of lordly houses there, and I would keep the category for the ones I meantioned before. But again, I'm not sure what the criteria are to sort them out and I would love to know more.

Thanks!

Posting this question here for some more replies... I don't have the answer for this, but for an overview of the houses, I think we can look at this page.. So does anyone know where the category "Other Houses" comes from and how it is determined whether or not a house falls into that category?

I'm not sure, maybe it was the decision of the templates' creators way back when? The Citadel does not differentiate.

Separately, here is another example of someone reading House pages and coming to inaccurate conclusions because of the ADWD updates.

longtime reader first post. So i was clicking random page on AWOIAF and came across House Marsh. I assumed they would be sworn house Reed. Turns out they are sworn to house Bolton. Any chance there was more to the ides of marsh than we initially are lead to believe?

We know nothing of House Marsh aside from their sigil (also mentioned in the newer RPG book, IIRC) and that Bowen Marsh is a member of the Watch. This would be less confusing if the infobox states they are sworn to the Starks, the situation at the start of AGOT. House Wayn's article states they are sworn to House Tully, while House Goodbrook states they are sworn to House Baelish.

I'm not certain I follow? Arya IX is the chapter before Dany IV so moving the start of Dany IV two pages makes Arya IX two pages shorter/longer.

I meant that it is quite a difference when you compare editions, apparently. Where the length of Dany IV differs only one or two pages between editions, Arya IX would suddenly be a difference of 9 pages between US hardcover and paperback? That seems like quite a lot, imo.

It goes in the opposite direction. I think the numbers should look like:

Arya IX: 16, 21, 15

Dany IV: 10, 13, 9

So it's going from a 7-page difference to a 5-page one.

I realized that this analysis of chapter lengths could allow me to find errors more easily than checking manually, so I copied the table for AGOT into Excel and used it to calculate the ratio between the wiki-derived and expected (based on the US paperback, which I have confirmed) chapter lengths.

Here are all the chapters in AGOT that were more than 10% shorter or longer than expected:

In the US HC:

Shorter:

35 Eddard IX .684

37 Bran V .769

26 Jon IV .828

9 Tyrion I .855

31 Tyrion IV .855

Longer:

36 Daenerys IV 1.196

27 Eddard VI 1.196

30 Eddard VII 1.133

38 Tyrion V 1.111

In the UK paperback:

Shorter:

0 Prologue .861

9 Tyrion I .886

49 Eddard XIV .886

Longer: none

In the Kindle edition:

Shorter: none

Longer: 39 Eddard X 1.119

In the EPUB edition:

Shorter:

64 Daenerys VIII -.531

59 Catelyn IX .227

0 Prologue .884

24 Bran IV .898

Longer:

63 Catelyn X 3.714

60 Jon VIII 1.796

So I would suggest checking the page numbers for chapters 27, 31, 35, 36, 37 in the US hardcover and 60 and 64 in the EPUB edition.

I'm not sure, maybe it was the decision of the templates' creators way back when? The Citadel does not differentiate.

Separately, here is another example of someone reading House pages and coming to inaccurate conclusions because of the ADWD updates.

We know nothing of House Marsh aside from their sigil (also mentioned in the newer RPG book, IIRC) and that Bowen Marsh is a member of the Watch. This would be less confusing if the infobox states they are sworn to the Starks, the situation at the start of AGOT. House Wayn's article states they are sworn to House Tully, while House Goodbrook states they are sworn to House Baelish.

So can we remove the category "other houses" and list them under "Noble houses"?

It goes in the opposite direction. I think the numbers should look like:

Arya IX: 16, 21, 15

Dany IV: 10, 13, 9

So it's going from a 7-page difference to a 5-page one.

I realized that this analysis of chapter lengths could allow me to find errors more easily than checking manually, so I copied the table for AGOT into Excel and used it to calculate the ratio between the wiki-derived and expected (based on the US paperback, which I have confirmed) chapter lengths.

Here are all the chapters in AGOT that were more than 10% shorter or longer than expected:

Hidden Content

So I would suggest checking the page numbers for chapters 27, 31, 35, 36, 37 in the US hardcover and 60 and 64 in the EPUB edition.

I don't have a hardcover copy, so I can't help you there I'm afraid.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but there seems to be problem with my login. I type in the name and password yet it doesn't login.

Check here