The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

A couple of notes:

We have enabled auto-redirect for mobile devices to http://m.westeros.org/, which will (outside of the front page) provide mobile users the MobileFrontEnd skin of the page without having to fiddle with changing around.

We have also enabled CloudFlare's RocketLoader, which can help streamline the loading of pages by doing such things as asynchronous javascript loading and such. We tried it a couple of years ago and it did not play well with IPB3, but we want to see if it'll work with IPS4. Problems that could result will be javascript related, such as check boxes, buttons, etc. not working as expected. Let us know if you see any such problems.

Separately, here is another example of someone reading House pages and coming to inaccurate conclusions because of the ADWD updates.

We know nothing of House Marsh aside from their sigil (also mentioned in the newer RPG book, IIRC) and that Bowen Marsh is a member of the Watch. This would be less confusing if the infobox states they are sworn to the Starks, the situation at the start of AGOT. House Wayn's article states they are sworn to House Tully, while House Goodbrook states they are sworn to House Baelish.

Using the Sandbox, I added "House Stark (AGOT), House Bolton (ADWD)" as the overlords for House Marsh. Does listing the specific book changes or start vs. current situations seem like a good compromise?

Edited by Nittanian

So can we remove the category "other houses" and list them under "Noble houses"?

I tried a merger of "Other" into "Nobles" with the northern houses template, again at the Sandbox. We know that some of them are sworn to higher lords (like Forrester to Glover and Stout to Dustin), but I'm not sure how to differentiate that.

Ran, do you know if the Flints of Breakstone Hill (mentioned in TWOIAF as royals reduced to vassals by the Kings of Winter) are the same as the Flints of the mountains (mentioned in ASOS and ADWD)?

The family tree "Template:Targaryen tree Aemon", has been deleted, (reason stated that it was seen as redundant), and replaced by "Template:Targaryen tree Dance".

However, the family tree for the Dance, while displaying Aemon's relations, shows a lot of information unnecessary for Aemon himself (which was why the "Targaryen tree Aemon" template was created in the first place).

Should Aemon thus keep a seperate family tree? Or do we keep the family tree for the Dance?

Edit: We have the same thing for Viserys, after all. One tree focussing on his marriage, and another focussing on the complete situation around the time of the Dance.

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

What are the dates of the three major battles during Aegon's Conquest (Harrenhal, Last Storm, Field of Fire) based on?

No idea, besides the fact that the War of Conquest in its entirety lasted about two years, and only when it was over did 1 AC begin, making the war 1 and 2 BC. But why all three have been placed in 2 BC, I don't know.. We could make it "2 or 1 BC"..? Or remove the dates entirely

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

There seems to be some mess about the dates regarding the Conquest on the wiki in general. And a lot of years of death (the Gardeners, Harren, Argilac) are based on the dates of the battles, so there are many subsequent faults.

Did you notice that Aegon I dying at the age of 64 means a deviation by Yandel from his usual style? Since there is no year 0 (by the way, the date in the box on the site of King's Landing needs to be changed), Aegon would have become 65 in 37 AC.

We could make it "2 or 1 BC"..?

That works fine for me.

There seems to be some mess about the dates regarding the Conquest on the wiki in general. And a lot of years of death (the Gardeners, Harren, Argilac) are based on the dates of the battles, so there are many subsequent faults.

Did you notice that Aegon I dying at the age of 64 means a deviation by Yandel from his usual style? Since there is no year 0 (by the way, the date in the box on the site of King's Landing needs to be changed), Aegon would have become 65 in 37 AC.

That works fine for me.

Changed the box.

How do you mean? Aegon was born in 27 BC, and died in 37 AC. 27+37 = 64 years old.

Yandel, as far as I currently recall, only deviates once.. with Aegon III, who he mentions is 36 years old when he dies in 157 AC. With Aegon's birth in 120 AC, following Yandel's usual style, Aegon should have been described as dying at the age of 37. Personally, I assume this means that Aegon died in the first half of the year somwhere, as we know he was born towards the end of the year.

Changed the box.

How do you mean? Aegon was born in 27 BC, and died in 37 AC. 27+37 = 64 years old.

This calculation doesn't work without a year 0. But I got it wrong myself as well. Aegon became 26 in 1 BC and 27 in 1 AC. So he became 28 in 2 AC, 29 in 3 AC, 30 in 4 AC, 31 in 5 AC, 32 in 6 AC, and 33 in 7 AC. So he became (or would have become) 63 in 37 AC and would have become 64 just in 38 AC. I guess this mistake results from the damn missing year.

This calculation doesn't work without a year 0. But I got it wrong myself as well. Aegon became 26 in 1 BC and 27 in 1 AC. So he became 28 in 2 AC, 29 in 3 AC, 30 in 4 AC, 31 in 5 AC, 32 in 6 AC, and 33 in 7 AC. So he became (or would have become) 63 in 37 AC and would have become 64 just in 38 AC. I guess this mistake results from the damn missing year.

Huh, you are correct, I just counted it out myself..

Hm.. A small mistake then.

Ran, perhaps that one can be put on the errata list as well, or are you no longer planning to release an errate?

Some of the reference links to posts on this forum aren't working. I'm guessing since the forum upgrade? Here's a list of articles that cite this forum as a reference:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=site:http:%2F%2Fawoiaf.westeros.org%2F+"A+Forum+of+Ice+and+Fire:"

For example the Lady Forlorn, House Oakheart and Rhaena Targaryen articles now have references that just point to the main forum page. 

I updated House Oakheart (Three Leaves), Lady Forlorn (not Valyrian steel), Rhaena Targaryen (year of birth), crypt of Winterfell (Artos), Aegon Targaryen (year of birth), Alysanne Blackwood (aunt), Robert's Rebellion (283 Trident), Customs (primogeniture), Harrenhal/Alys Harroway/Lucas Harroway/Desmond (deaths in 44).

There is a potential issue regarding the articles for "Martyn Hightower", "Morgan Hightower", "Ceryse Hightower", "Patrice Hightower", and "High Septon (Hightower)".

TWOIAF: Aenys I

Queen Visenya proposed that Maegor be wed to Aenys's first child, Rhaena, but the High Septon mounted a vigorous protest, and Maegor was wed instead to the High Septon's own niece, Lady Ceryse of House Hightower.

TWOIAF: Oldtown

The High Septon during the first years of Maegor's reign was kin by marriage to the Hightowers.

Some believe His High Holiness was removed by his own brother, Ser Morgan Hightower, commmander of the Warrior's Sons in Oldtown (and it is undeniably true that Ser Morgan was the sole Warrior's Son pardoned by King Maegor). Others suspect Lord Martyn's maiden aunt, the Lady Patrice Hightower, though their argument seems to rest upon the beliefe that poison is a woman's weapon.

Ran states here

Note that Patrice is called maiden aunt to Lord Martyn Hightower. Morgan is Martyn's younger brother, not the High Septon's. Small error.

If I am interpreting this correctly, the Oldtown section is incorrect in stating the High Septon is Ser Morgan Hightower's brother, but instead the HS had family who married into the Hightowers ("kin by marriage to the Hightowers"). Martyn is lord, his daughter is Ceryse, his younger brother is Martyn, his aunt is Patrice, and an in-law is the HS.

There is a potential issue regarding the articles for "Martyn Hightower", "Morgan Hightower", "Ceryse Hightower", "Patrice Hightower", and "High Septon (Hightower)".

TWOIAF: Aenys I

Ran states here

If I am interpreting this correctly, the Oldtown section is incorrect in stating the High Septon is Ser Morgan Hightower's brother, but instead the HS had family who married into the Hightowers ("kin by marriage to the Hightowers"). Martyn is lord, his daughter is Ceryse, his younger brother is Martyn, his aunt is Patrice, and an in-law is the HS.

Yes, I think that is correct. 

I updated House Oakheart (Three Leaves), Lady Forlorn (not Valyrian steel), Rhaena Targaryen (year of birth), crypt of Winterfell (Artos), Aegon Targaryen (year of birth), Alysanne Blackwood (aunt), Robert's Rebellion (283 Trident), Customs (primogeniture), Harrenhal/Alys Harroway/Lucas Harroway/Desmond (deaths in 44).

Thank you! 

The page of Lys reads

Many men lose themselves in Lys and are never found – at least alive. When a man runs out of coin the Lysene may grant him their other specialty.

Where does that info come from?

Also, no opinions on this?

The family tree "Template:Targaryen tree Aemon", has been deleted, (reason stated that it was seen as redundant), and replaced by "Template:Targaryen tree Dance".

However, the family tree for the Dance, while displaying Aemon's relations, shows a lot of information unnecessary for Aemon himself (which was why the "Targaryen tree Aemon" template was created in the first place).

Should Aemon thus keep a seperate family tree? Or do we keep the family tree for the Dance?

Edit: We have the same thing for Viserys, after all. One tree focussing on his marriage, and another focussing on the complete situation around the time of the Dance.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just noticed that the Sansa Stark page is returning a blank for no obvious reason. Anyone know when this happened? I'm not getting any error report explaining the blank page, so need to ask Sparks to look into the error logs.

ETA: Nevermind, now fixed. Increased the memory limit of wiki pages from 20M to 32M.

Edited by Ran

On 12/13/2015 at 3:47 PM, Nittanian said:
I don't see mention in either of the RPG books.

I think that it's a quote from 'Free Cities' video ('Game of Thrones - History and Lore' - videos added to CDs with GoT).

So, unless there is any evidence in the books, it should be changed/deleted.

Welcome back, Westerosi. I didn't have much time last months, so I was only 'lurker' here.

BlueTiger

;)

Edited by Lord Bluetiger