The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

From Triarch of Volantis:

While the elections have ended,[11] the results of the new elections have not yet been revealed. With the city thirsty for war against Daenerys Targaryen[2] speculation is rife that two tigers might be elected triarch, something that has not happened for three hundred years.[Citation Needed]

Where does the bolded come from?

I'm guessing from Tyrion VI in Dance:

“The Yunkishmen have bought your triarchs?”
“Only Nyessos.” Qavo removed the screen and studied the placement of Tyrion’s army.
“Malaquo may be old and toothless, but he is a tiger still, and Doniphos will not be returned as triarch. The city thirsts for war.” 

and Tyrion VII:

"I am no lady," the widow replied, "just Vogarro's whore. You want to be gone from here before the tigers come. Should you reach your queen, give her a message from the slaves of Old Volantis." She touched the faded scar upon her wrinkled cheek, where her tears had been cut away. "Tell her we are waiting. Tell her to come soon."

I'm guessing from Tyrion VI in Dance:

and Tyrion VII:

So because one of the two elephants is not expected to be re-elected, and because the city thirsts for war (and war is favored by the tigers)?

Volantis might not have had two tigers as triarch at the same time for three hundred years, but they have fought in wars in the past three hundred years. It's not as if two ruling elephants is a reassurance of peace.

As well, two of the three previous triarchs (one tiger, one elephant) are willing to go to war

“What word from old Volantis?” Yandry called. “War,” the word came back. “Where?” Griff shouted. “When?”
“When the year turns,” came the answer, “Nyessos and Malaquo go hand in hand, and the elephants show stripes.” The voice faded as the other boat moved away from them. They watched its light dwindle and disappear.

And this quote equally implies that even the elephants are generally willing to go to war (with the exception of such as Doniphos).

So shouldn't that statement be removed or rephrased?

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

So because one of the two elephants is not expected to be re-elected, and because the city thirsts for war (and war is favored by the tigers)?

Volantis might not have had two tigers as triarch at the same time for three hundred years, but they have fought in wars in the past three hundred years. It's not as if two ruling elephants is a reassurance of peace.

As well, two of the three previous triarchs (one tiger, one elephant) are willing to go to war

“What word from old Volantis?” Yandry called. “War,” the word came back. “Where?” Griff shouted. “When?”
“When the year turns,” came the answer, “Nyessos and Malaquo go hand in hand, and the elephants show stripes.” The voice faded as the other boat moved away from them. They watched its light dwindle and disappear.

And this quote equally implies that even the elephants are generally willing to go to war (with the exception of such as Doniphos).

So shouldn't that statement be removed or rephrased?

It probably should be removed or rephrased, but personally I don't think it's wrong because of the stuff about how "the tigers are coming," I guess that could just mean Volantis is becoming more militant, but I tend to think that the Widow is saying they are gonna win another seat. There's also this quote that I think is along those same lines.

"Grey skies and strong winds," Moqorro said. "No rain. Behind come the tigers. Ahead awaits your dragon."

but maybe I'm wrong and tigers is just representing the military arm of Volantis in those two quotes.

What is the source for House Wells from Dorne being a knightly house?

It seems to be an assumption since Ser Willam Wells of ADWD is the only member mentioned. Same situation for Ser Gerris Drinkwater. We know that Gerold Dayne is the Knight of High Hermitage, Symon Santagar is the Knight of Spottswood, and Deziel Dalt is the Knight of Lemonwood (and therefore landed knights), but that isn't necessarily the case for Wells and Drinkwater. I think "Template:HousesDorne" first stated they were knightly houses, but they should probably be changed to noble houses.

Chett is from Hag's Mire which is seat of House Nayland.

From SoS prologue:

he only women Chett had ever known were the whores he'd bought in Mole's Town. When he'd been younger, the village girls took one look at his face, with its boils and its wen, and turned away sickened. The worst was that slattern Bessa. She'd spread her legs for every boy in Hag's Mire so he'd figured why not him too? He even spent a morning picking wildflowers when he heard she liked them, but she'd just laughed in his face and told him she'd crawl in a bed with his father's leeches before she'd crawl in one with him. She stopped laughing when he put his knife in her. That was sweet, the look on her face, so he pulled the knife out and put it in her again. When they caught him down near Sevenstreams, old Lord Walder Frey hadn't even bothered to come himself to do the judging. He'd sent one of his bastards, that Walder Rivers, and the next thing Chett had known he was walking to the Wall with that foul-smelling black devil Yoren. To pay for his one sweet moment, they took his whole life.

'When they caught him down near Sevenstreams, old Lord Walder Frey hadn't even bothered to come himself to do the judging. He'd sent one of his bastards, that Walder Rivers" - Nayland is knighly house so they can't sentence to death. Chett was sentenced by Freys so they must be Nayland overlords.

Hey this is my first post. I was using the wiki to make some trivia games about the dragons and I found some things to fix or add. I tried to register for wiki editing but registration is closed. This looks like the place to suggest changes so I'll just put them here.

Page: Rhaegal

Line: When Daenerys receives the news of the Usurper's death Rhaegal is on her lap.

Suggestion: Drogon is on her lap rather than Rhaegal. I considered the possibility that both of them could have been on her lap at the same time, but the text seems to indicate not.

Reference:

When they entered, she was seated on a mound of cushions, her dragons all about her.

[...]

"A gift of news. Dragonmother, Stormborn, I tell you true, Robert Baratheon is dead."

Outside her walls, dusk was settling over Qarth, but a sun had risen in Dany's heart. "Dead?" she repeated. In her lap, black Drogon hissed, and pale smoke rose before her face like a veil. "You are certain? The Usurper is dead?"

ACOK Daenerys II

Line: Alias: The green beast

Suggestion: I searched but I couldn't find anywhere Rhaegal is called The green beast. He was called the green dragon though, and even a fat lady.

Page: Drogon

Suggestion: Rhaegal and Viserion are described with black teeth but Drogon's teeth description is missing. Drogon's teeth are black too.

Reference:

Drogon moved quicker than a striking cobra. Flame roared from his mouth, orange and scarlet and black, searing the meat before it began to fall. As his sharp black teeth snapped shut around it, Rhaegal's head darted close, as if to steal the prize from his brother's jaws, but Drogon swallowed and screamed, and the smaller green dragon could only hiss in frustration.

ASOS Daenerys I

"No" was all that she had time to say. No, not me, don't you know me? The black teeth closed inches from her face. He meant to tear my head off. The sand was in her eyes. She stumbled over the pitmaster's corpse and fell on her backside.

ADWD Daenerys IX

Edited by rustythesmith

On 18-1-2016 at 10:50 PM, rustythesmith said:

Hey this is my first post. I was using the wiki to make some trivia games about the dragons and I found some things to fix or add. I tried to register for wiki editing but registration is closed. This looks like the place to suggest changes so I'll just put them here.

Line: When Daenerys receives the news of the Usurper's death Rhaegal is on her lap.

Suggestion: Drogon is on her lap rather than Rhaegal. I considered the possibility that both of them could have been on her lap at the same time, but the text seems to indicate not.

Reference:

Line: Alias: The green beast

Suggestion: I searched but I couldn't find anywhere Rhaegal is called The green beast. He was called the green dragon though, and even a fat lady.

Page: Drogon

Suggestion: Rhaegal and Viserion are described with black teeth but Drogon's teeth description is missing. Drogon's teeth are black too.

Reference:

Rhaegal's entry is, I suppose, based on this part of Dany learning about Robert's death

“Then I grieve for you, Dragonmother, and for bleeding Westeros, bereft of its rightful king.”
Beneath Dany’s gentle fingers, green Rhaegal stared at the stranger with eyes of molten gold. When his mouth opened, his teeth gleamed like black needles. “When does your ship return to Westeros, Captain?”

I agree that it is a bit unclear whether Rhaegal is sitting on her lap (since Drogon is already sitting there), or whether he is simply next to her.

"The green beast" is how Tyrion describes Rhaegal in the sample chapter for Winds. I don't think it is used as a name though..

All corrected! Thank you for mentioning them :) 

On 8.1.2016 at 10:15 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Hmm.. I agree that it is most likely not 300 AC.

Though can we state with certainty that it was 299 AC?

Perhaps we can list it as  299 AC/300 AC, with a reference tag stating it was too close to the turning of the year to be certain?

I think I've found something. Robb intended to leave the Twins the day after Edmure's wedding to attack the Ironborn on the first day of the new year. I don't think it is possible to reach Moat Cailin within two days, so three days after the Red Wedding would still be 299 AC.

30 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

I think I've found something. Robb intended to leave the Twins the day after Edmure's wedding to attack the Ironborn on the first day of the new year. I don't think it is possible to reach Moat Cailin within two days, so three days after the Red Wedding would still be 299 AC.

Hey, yeah!

We know that Crossing the Neck takes 12 days (AGOT, Sansa I), and that Moat Cailin is located at the northern end of the Neck, whereas the Twins are a little bit south of the Neck.

If Robb wanted to have reached Moat Cailin by the first day of the new year, that travel takes at least 12 days, and he'll leave the day after the wedding, there should be at least 12 days between the wedding and the start of the new year.

5 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

I guess Robb's march wouldn't have taken as long as the one of Robert's group, since they didn't travel really fast. But two days seems to be impossible. :)

Robb would be bringing more people, which would slow him down (or, if Robert was travelling extra slow, would bring their speed closer together). As well, Robb wasn't planning for all his man to take the shortest road.

Three hosts will leave the Twins, but only two will reach Moat Cailin. Mine own battle will melt away into the Neck, to reemerge on the Fever. If we move swiftly once my uncle’s wed, we can all be in position by year’s end. We will fall upon the Moat from three sides on the first day of the new century, as the ironmen are waking with hammers beating at their heads from the mead they’ll quaff the night before.

While he wants to travel fast, the Neck is still an area which is more difficult to travel through.

As well, Robert's final fortnight of journey from Winterfell to KL took a fortnight, and the distance is rather similar to the length of the Neck. Since no one was stalling the journey that last fortnight, I don't think they took their sweet time in the Neck either. It doesn't sound like a place they'd like to hang out additionally long

Sansa shuddered. They had been twelve days crossing the Neck, rumbling down a crooked causeway through an endless black bog, and she had hated every moment of it. The air had been damp and clammy, the causeway so narrow they could not even make proper camp at night, they had to stop right on the kingsroad. Dense thickets of halfdrowned trees pressed close around them, branches dripping with curtains of pale fungus. Huge flowers bloomed in the mud and floated on pools of stagnant water, but if you were stupid enough to leave the causeway to pluck them, there were quicksands waiting to suck you down, and snakes watching from the trees, and lizard-lions floating half-submerged in the water, like black logs with eyes and teeth.

This doesn't sound like an area which you'd be able to cross fast.. Especially not with an army not familiar with that area.

• 2 weeks later...

Lord Blacktyde

Lord Blacktyde died during the Greyjoy Rebellion, fighting for Balon Greyjoy. After the rebellion was over, his son was made a hostage to ensure the Blacktydes' loyalty to the Iron Throne and taken to Oldtown.[1]

Is it stated explicitly that Baelor's father died during the Greyjoy Rebellion or just an assumption based on Baelor's statement "Balon the Widowmaker, call him. I will gladly trade his freedom for a father."? And is Baelor's father called lord at all?

Edited by The Wondering Wolf

7 minutes ago, Gonzalo said:

Is there a source for other Lords of Casterly Rock besides Tywin to be bear the title of Shield of Lannisport?

Other children followed in good course, but Tywin, the eldest, was the only grandchild his lordship ever knew. In 244 AC, Gerold the Golden died of a bad bladder, unable to pass water. At the age of four-and-twenty, Tytos Lannister, his eldest surviving son, became Lord of Casterly Rock, Shield of Lannisport, and Warden of the West.

[...]

In 267 AC, Lord Tytos Lannister's heart burst as he was climbing a steep flight of steps to the bedchamber of his mistress (his lordship had finally put aside his wet nurse, only to become besotted with the charms of a candlemaker's daughter). So at the age of five-and-twenty, Tywin Lannister became the Lord of Casterly Rock, Shield of Lannisport, and Warden of the West. With the Laughing Lion at last laid to rest, House Lannister had never been stronger nor more secure. The years that followed were golden ones, not only for the westerlands, but for all the Seven Kingdoms.

(TWOIAF - The Westerlands: House Lannister Under the Dragons)

Tytos is specified as having been Shield of Lannisport as well. He became Shield of Lannisport upon Lord Gerold's death, implying that Gerold had had the title as well.

Tywin then inherited the title from Tytos upon Tytos's death.

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

Where is stated that Lucos Chyttering is the son of the late Lord Chyttering?

Any opinions regarding the following stuff?

On 17.1.2016 at 0:40 PM, Blue Tiger said:

'When they caught him down near Sevenstreams, old Lord Walder Frey hadn't even bothered to come himself to do the judging. He'd sent one of his bastards, that Walder Rivers" - Nayland is knighly house so they can't sentence to death. Chett was sentenced by Freys so they must be Nayland overlords.

On 17.1.2016 at 0:57 PM, The Wondering Wolf said:

Hm, I'm not really sure about that, because they caught him near Sevenstreams, not near Hag's Mire. So the Freys might be their overlords, but maybe Lord Walder just didn't bother sending Chett back to his vasall. Or is it stated that the culprit needs to be sentenced by the lord of the culprit's hometown?

On 29.1.2016 at 7:57 PM, The Wondering Wolf said:

Is it stated explicitly that Baelor's father died during the Greyjoy Rebellion or just an assumption based on Baelor's statement "Balon the Widowmaker, call him. I will gladly trade his freedom for a father."? And is Baelor's father called lord at all?