The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

Thanks!

Let's see...turns out there's also translations in Irish Gaelic, Mongolian, and Sinhalese (Sri Lankan). 

....But the chart on his site doesn't add up. If Azerbaijani will be the 47th language....

He lists 6 x 8 = 48 - 1 = 47 listed in a grid there, not including Azerbaijani.

He lists 3 alternate covers for English by country spelling, we should probably consider that one language, so 47 - 2 = 45.

Issue is that there are alternate covers for European versus Latin American Portugese and Spanish, and Simplified Versus Traditional Chinese.

There SHOULD be 46 maximum, to include Azerbaijani.

....I think the two versions of Chinese and Portugese are indeed different "translations" as they have different translators listed, while Spanish is like British vs American English (it doesn't list two different translators). 

So let's subtract one from 45, we get...44 that I'm aware of. Well, 45 including Azerbaijani.

So we're still short by 2.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Translations

https://www.agameofthronesbooks.com/my-book-collection/

I...cross-referenced with the wikipedia "List of Harry Potter Translations" to see if there are any major world languages we're missing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_in_translation

Major as in a national language like "Hindi" and not a prestige language or local language like Latin, Gaelic, Basque, Occitan, etc - anyone who speaks Latin or Occitan probably also knows one of the other languages. I mean in terms of "market penetration".

There are essentially four zones that still lack translations - 3 if you discount Africa, as Harry Potter doesn't have that either:

• Languages of the Indian subcontinent: Hindi, Bengali, Marathi, Gujarati, Nepali, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu, etc. (though there is a Sinhalese translation in Sri Lanka)
  • Languages of South-east Asia: Indonesian & Malay (dialect continuum, though Harry Potter has translations in both), Khmer (Cambodian), Filipino (there are Thai and Vietnamese translations, and English is widely known in the Philippines)
  • Languages of Central Asia: Persian/Farsi (lumping this in with Central Asia instead of Middle East), Pashto, Kazakh, etc.

A few leftovers, which may have been translated since 2017:

• Afrikaans (English is well-known in South Africa, and how similar is that to Dutch? Harry Potter does have an Afrikaans translation)
  • Armenian (an independent branch of Indo-European altogether)
  • Bosnian (Harry Potter has a Serbian and Bosnian translation. However, I asked on my YouTube channel, and a girl from Serbia pointed out that "Serbo-Croatian" / "South Slavic" is more of a dialect continuum across former Yugoslavia, more or less mutually intelligible dialects (much in the same way that Slovak speakers can pretty much understand Czech speakers). 

And of these, GRRM himself admitted in 2017 that "Hindi is probably the biggest language that A Song of Ice & Fire has not yet appeared in". 

Which languages has "The World of Ice & Fire" been translated into so far?

Is there a way Elio & Linda could just shoot GRRM's publisher an e-mail to ask for a listing of all Translations?

Edited by The Dragon Demands

Intriguing...there's unlikely to ever be a Persian translation...officially anyway:

turns out that Iran isn't a signatory to the Berne Convention for copyright. So everyone in Iran just downloads fan-translations into Persian for FREE. 

https://www.al-monitor.com/originals/2017/07/why-iranians-love-game-of-thrones.html

• 2 weeks later...

Confusion and disorder were offensive to Jaehaerys Targaryen, and with the help of his “smaller council,” he set out to “clean the stables.” “These Seven Kingdoms have one single king. It is time they had a single law as well.” A task so monumental would not be one year’s work, or ten’s; simply gathering, organizing, and studying the existing laws would require two years, and the reforms that followed would continue for decades. Yet here is where the Great Code of Septon Barth (who in the end would contribute thrice as much as any other man to the Books of Law that resulted) began, in that autumn year of 55 AC.

Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies

Should the wiki have an article for the Great Code of Septon Barth and the Books of Law ? Or should it rather be mentioned in the "Laws and justice of the Seven Kingdoms" article ?

Also how do you interpret this passage ? I interpret it as the "Books of Law" is a collection of books made by Jaehaerys and his "smaller council". Each book concerns a topic of law different and the "Great Code" is one of/the biggest book of the collection (possibly the most important one). Do you guys agree ?

Edited by Thomaerys Velaryon

On 4/3/2021 at 9:09 AM, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

Also how do you interpret this passage ? I interpret it as the "Books of Law" is a collection of books made by Jaehaerys and his "smaller council". Each book concerns a topic of law different and the "Great Code" is one of/the biggest book of the collection (possibly the most important one). Do you guys agree ?

Yes, that is my interpretation as well. 

• 1 month later...

For the Velaryons family tree there should be an unknown number of sons added to the children of the first Daemon, considering Alyssa Velaryon and her children are accompanied by Alyssa's brothers and cousins to Maegor's third wedding in 43 AC:

King Aenys’s widow, Queen Alyssa, was present as well, with her younger sons, Viserys and Jaehaerys, and her daughter Alysanne. A visit from the Dowager Queen and Vhagar had persuaded her to leave her sanctuary on Driftmark and return to court, where Alyssa and her brothers and cousins of House Velaryon did homage to Maegor as the true king.

It is certainly possible that this refers only to second and third cousins, but not all that likely. In any case, it allows for Aethan and Corlys having at least one additional brother.

@Lord Varys The family tree already takes into account Alyssa's brothers. As for her cousins, like you mentioned we don't know to which degree they are related, so we can't say for sure if Aethan and Corlys had other brother(s). Though I agree first cousins are more likely given that they were forced to come to the wedding and pay homage to Maegor. Until we know more, I wouldn't change the family tree.

We lack other information concerning the relations of the Velaryons of this era: 

• Valaena: Was she the sister of the first Daemon ?
  • Lianna and Larissa: Both of them are said to be Rhaena Targaryen's cousins but only Lianna is said to be the niece of the second Daemon. Therefore Lianna was the daughter of one of Alyssa and second Daemon's unknown brother(s). Was Larissa a niece to the second Daemon too ? We know the second Daemon had at least four daughters, maybe Larissa was one of them ?
  • Corwyn: Was he Corlys's father ?
Edited by Thomaerys Velaryon

2 hours ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

@Lord Varys The family tree already takes into account Alyssa's brothers. As for her cousins, like you mentioned we don't know to which degree they are related, so we can't say for sure if Aethan and Corlys had other brother(s). Though I agree first cousins are more likely given that they were forced to come to the wedding and pay homage to Maegor. Until we know more, I wouldn't change the family tree.

We lack other information concerning the relations of the Velaryons of this era: 

• Valaena: Was she the sister of the first Daemon ?
  • Lianna and Larissa: Both of them are said to be Rhaena Targaryen's cousins but only Lianna is said to be the niece of the second Daemon. Therefore Lianna was the daughter of one of Alyssa and second Daemon's unknown brother(s). Was Larissa a niece to the second Daemon too ? We know the second Daemon had at least four daughters, maybe Larissa was one of them ?
  • Corwyn: Was he Corlys's father ?

I think the tree could include an unknown number of siblings for Aethan and the first Daemon. Our sources are good enough to allow for that. We cannot pretend to know what kind of cousins showed up for the wedding, that's true. But considering the circumstances we can assume it would have been cousins with close ties to Alyssa and Daemon, considering the nature of the event which draw them to court.

If you think about the Silent Five who later apparently fought for the Greens during the Dance - those are so insignificant Velaryon cousins by comparison that they are only mentioned when they try to contest the succesion of Driftmark. Their role in the war must have been very minor, I'd imagine they were at best sworn swords in the service of Aegon II, and perhaps died during one of the earlier Green campaigns - say, Cole's campaigns in the Crownlands or later with the Aemond-Cole army in the Riverlands.

In relation to the sons of Daemon II the family tree cannot specify that he just had three sons - Corwyn, Jorgen, and Victor - those are merely the sons who show Jaehaerys and Alysanne the shipyards of Driftmark when they are visiting in 49-50 AC. They are the sons who are *right there* at that time, not necessarily a complete list of Daemon's sons. Daemon could have had other sons who weren't there at that time, and he could have had sons who were born later - say, if he took another young wife after he resigned as Hand of the King.

I think one can account for things like that by adding 'sons' to the family tree.

And chances aren't that bad that George doesn't necessarily view Corwyn as Daemon's eldest son - he didn't name Corlys' parents, so they could be people who weren't mentioned by name in FaB at all. Considering that Corlys himself insist that Jacaerys is a good and traditional Velaryon family name his father could have been another Jacaerys for all we know.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

In Arya sample chapter for TWOW (Mercy), there is a character called "Big Brusco", a mummer in Izembaro's troup. The wiki has merged this character with Brusco, a fishmonger. I think those are two different characters and should have different wiki articles. Do you agree ?

Yep, that makes sense to me. "Brusco" for the fishmonger and "Big Brusco" for the mummer. The fishmonger's page can have a hatnote at the top linking to the mummer. 

I realized that there were actually three "Westerling" characters in the events surrounding the Dance of the Dragons: Johanna, but also her father Lord Roland Westerling, and Harrold Westerling of the Kingsguard (of unclear relation to the main branch).  Also because Season 1 of House of the Dragon seems to be emphasizing Harrold a bit more.

So I added the Westerlings to the Dance/Lannister template:

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Template:Lannister_tree_Dance

This led to some complications, however, as Jason Lannister had bastard daughters by an unknown woman. Because there's a mate for Jason on both left and right, but Johanna's Westerling tree needs to go "up".

This is what I did: https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?title=Template:Lannister_tree_Dance&oldid=265498

Reversing Tyland and Jason left to right, but leaving a note that Tyland is older.  But I fear this is confusing.

Given that Jason's bastard daughters are unnamed, not to mention their mother, an alternative and more elegant solution would to simply leave one footnote "Jason had unnamed bastard daughters by an unknown woman"....then put JOHANNA and the Westerling branch left of the Lannister branch, with Jason restored to the left.

Which is better?  Because the second option means leaving out the bastards except as a footnote, but it's a lot neater.

5 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

So I added the Westerlings to the Dance/Lannister template:

Since it's a Lannister tree, it should focus on the Lannisters. You can also create a Westerling tree including Roland, Johanna and her children with Jason. I guess Harrold was an uncle of Roland, but in the end it's not clear at all, so I would not add him.

@Ran

POTSK and I were confused about how to handle articles and template for in-development projects which haven't been greenlit yet.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Template_talk:ASOIAF

This wasn't an issue before, because up until 2021 they only told us about projects that were actually greenlit, like the Long Night prequel. 

But now we've got reasonably confirmed pitches for "Nymeria & the 10,000 Ships of the Rhoynar", "The 9 Voyages of Corlys Velaryon", etc.

What should policy be on confirmed pitches that don't even have pilots lined up for filming?

@The Dragon Demands

The problem is that Gyldayn doesn't give a name for this conflict in Fire & Blood. The wiki page should be the closest possible to the words used in the text hence the word "struggle" is used by @Nittanian.

Similarly, does Gyldayn give a name for the succession crisis in the Vale after Lady Jeyne Arryn's death (134-136 AC) ?

I propose "civil war and struggle for power in the Iron Islands of 133-134 AC on the mysterious death of Dalton Greyjoy and the terrible crisis that came after". Maybe it is even possible to move all the content into the title, so people don't have to read the actual page anymore. :P

On a more serious note, no-one is going to search for a page like this, you just follow the link on other pages to get there, so the title doesn't really matter as long as the intro explains everything.