The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

On 7/16/2021 at 3:42 PM, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

The battles in the Dance of the Dragons need to have their army numbers updated.

1) The Red Fork should list the Lannisters as having 1K knights and 7K crossbowmen + men-at-arms, which means Lords Piper and Vance had less than that and that the Lannisters had less than 8K at Acorn Hall as well as the Fishfeed

2) Depending on how many casualties Borros took subduing KL as well as the rest of the Crownlands the Stormlands' strength at the Kingsroad should read "less than 4K foot and 600 knights"

3) In the lead-up to First Tumbleton Munkun's account states that the Hightower army was 20K strong and that a tenth of that (2K) were knights (Incidentally, this means that the Greens had less than 20K at Second Tumbleton)

4) The Greens marched out of KL with around 500+ men (500 household knights and an unknown number of sellswords if my memory serves) but after adding the strength of Rosby as well as Stokeworth and sacking Duskendale the Greens' strength at Rook's Rest was roughly 4K (Incidentally, the "Fall of Rosby" and "Fall of Stokeworth" pages need to be removed because F & B V1 reveals that, contrary to TWOIAF's wording, there were actually no battles or sieges at either castle)

5) The short, sharp battle at the Gods Eye between Ser Criston Cole's vanguard and Houses Wode, Roote, and Darry should maybe have its own page (Same for Borros subduing the Crownlands, the Sack of Lannisport, the Fall of Fair Isle, and the Capture/Siege of Kayce (I don't think @Ran ever addressed that particular discrepancy between TWOIAF and F & B V1))

On 7/16/2021 at 3:47 PM, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

The Redgrass Field page should list there being 10K casualties in the table itself

Here you go @The Dragon Demands!

As for the Fishfeed, I think GRRM just screwed up his numbers. (To be fair, the Dance is not well-plotted as far as Westerosi conflicts are concerned.)

Edited by The Grey Wolf Strikes Back

On 4/20/2022 at 8:18 PM, The Dragon Demands said:

"By nightfall two thousand men were dead, amongst them many notables,including Lord Frey, Lord Lefford," etc

Including TWO THIRDS of the Winter Wolves, numbering 2,000 at first.  Two thirds of 2K is about 1,300 men!

I agree that 2k riverlord and Winter Wolves deaths make sense, and that pretty much the entirety of the Westerlands host was destroyed, explicitly trapped as they were; perhaps a few were captured or hid among the dead and escaped at night, maybe some even managed to swim out to the lake, but mostly it was total slaughter. We've tried to word things for TRoftD to not strictly contradict the (current) F&B phrasing but leave room for (probable) correction.

Edited by Ran

So i have a question regarding a possible mistake in the text of GoT, @Thomaerys Velaryon thinks the 3000 years in the text below should be 300 years and that we should ad this to the errata on the wiki, but i'm not sure about that because it could be a skull that was brought over from Valyria. That there are only 19 skulls does not change that because, there are 26 know dragons from the conquest down to the dance of dragons, so even if it was only the dragons after the conquest there would be 7 missing. I see no reason there being only 19 skulls means that there are no skulls from before the conquest.

I think they only way we can be sure if this is a mistake is for someone with a later edition to check if this has been changed Thomaerys thought that @zionius might know since he is usually well informed on things regarding errata's but if anyone else knows or wishes to give a opinion (strongly hoping @Ran may actually know) please feel free.

A Game of Thrones - Tyrion II

There were nineteen skulls. The oldest was more than three thousand years old; the youngest a mere century and a half. The most recent were also the smallest; a matched pair no bigger than mastiff's skulls, and oddly misshapen, all that remained of the last two hatchlings born on Dragonstone. They were the last of the Targaryen dragons, perhaps the last dragons anywhere, and they had not lived very long.

Edited by direpupy

To my knowledge, it has never been changed and is not a mistake. I too suppose that some are skulls from Valyria.

It absolutely should not be added as errata on the wiki unless the text changes or GRRM confirms it's erroneous.

Yeah it's still unchanged in the latest e-edition. The skull could either from old Valyria or even found in Westeros. GRRM settled the issue back in 1999:

In 'The Hedge Knight' ancient dragons are mentioned, thousands of years olds. Were there Dragons in Westeros before the Targaryens brought them, or did the Targaryens bring the skeletons of the old Dragons with them?

There were dragons all over, once.

19 hours ago, Ran said:

To my knowledge, it has never been changed and is not a mistake. I too suppose that some are skulls from Valyria.

It absolutely should not be added as errata on the wiki unless the text changes or GRRM confirms it's erroneous.

4 hours ago, zionius said:

Yeah it's still unchanged in the latest e-edition. The skull could either from old Valyria or even found in Westeros. GRRM settled the issue back in 1999:

Thanks to both of you, that settles the question.

Prince Daemon did remain at King’s Landing for half a year, that is beyond dispute. He even resumed his seat on the small council, according to Grand Maester Runciter, but neither age nor exile had changed his nature.

Fire & Blood, Heirs of the Dragon - A Question of Succession

After Daemon's return to the capital in 111 AC, he apparently regain a place on the small council. What does "his seat" refer to here ? Was he reinstated as master of coin/master of laws or just on the small council as simply an advisor ? I know the Commander of the City Watch doesn't have a permanent seat on the small council but maybe Daemon did.

Any insight would be appreciated.

So, the front page of the wiki names 'Eleven sister Wikis' that are connected to the English one. The thing is, that at least for me, four of those aren't accessible anymore. The Turkish one just ends up on a blank page, the Thai and Polish ones cause my browser to tell me it can't connect to the server and the Italian one has my browser's security feature kick in and tell me I shouldn't proceed.

Does anyone know if those Wikis are down? And if so, should they still be linked to?

2 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

The Turkish wiki seems to be gone, the Italian one just changed the domain. Don't know about the other ones.

Good call on these. What's the new site for the Italian wiki?

We'll have to figure out how to test if the others are gone or just moved.

On 5/13/2022 at 2:39 PM, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

After Daemon's return to the capital in 111 AC, he apparently regain a place on the small council. What does "his seat" refer to here ? Was he reinstated as master of coin/master of laws or just on the small council as simply an advisor ? I know the Commander of the City Watch doesn't have a permanent seat on the small council but maybe Daemon did.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I'd imagine that Daemon just sat there as the brother of the king - like Alysanne did as the queen, or Mathis Rowan and Paxter Redwyne do in ASoS without having an actual office. One imagines that Viserys II was also always a part of Aegon III's small council, even when still a minor and without office.

About Daemon's earlier stint as Master of Coin I've a thought - I'd like to imagine that the ailing Jaehaerys who was clearly haunted by the memory of Saera and how things turned out between them (this being the reason why he mostly mistook Alicent for her rather than with his late wife or his other daughters), asked Lord Lyman Beesbury to travel to Volantis to convince her to come back to Westeros so that her father could apologize to her before he died.

But Saera never came, Jaehaerys died before Lyman returned, and in the mean time Viserys I made Daemon Master of Coin.

On 5/20/2022 at 6:29 PM, Ran said:

Good call on these. What's the new site for the Italian wiki?

We'll have to figure out how to test if the others are gone or just moved.

I did a quick search and it seems that the Italian wiki is now at: https://www.labarriera.net/wiki/index.php/Pagina_principale

There is another one at https://iltronodispade.fandom.com/it/wiki/Il_Trono_di_Spade_Wiki, but that's not the one that was linked before.

I also found two sites that I think are Polish Song of Ice and Fire wikis, though not the one from before, I don't think. But I don't actually speak the language, so...

https://piesnloduiognia.fandom.com/wiki/Pieśń_Lodu_i_Ognia_Wikia

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/pl/wiki/Gra_o_tron_Wiki

I have no idea about the Turkish and Thai ones.

On 5/22/2022 at 5:26 PM, Lord Varys said:

About Daemon's earlier stint as Master of Coin I've a thought - I'd like to imagine that the ailing Jaehaerys who was clearly haunted by the memory of Saera and how things turned out between them (this being the reason why he mostly mistook Alicent for her rather than with his late wife or his other daughters), asked Lord Lyman Beesbury to travel to Volantis to convince her to come back to Westeros so that her father could apologize to her before he died.

But Saera never came, Jaehaerys died before Lyman returned, and in the mean time Viserys I made Daemon Master of Coin.

Plausible. I like the idea.

23 hours ago, Alyx Rivers said:

Someone's been adding a lot of information about the TV series to various wiki articles.. Is that a thing we do? It doesn't seem to be the right place for that, but I'm not sure..

As far as i know its not, there are separate pages for the tv series.