The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

That is a tough one. Ideally we could have some sort of spoiler-protection thing in place, but... yeah, I mean, he's been a knight for over 20 years now, he should probably be listed as one. Lord, I am less sure of.

1 hour ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

There has been an edit recently which changed the date of birth to 7 AC, although I still think it is ambiguous and could have been at a later point, as well.

7 AC has no sense, anyway, it is stated the dragon grew up with Aenys, the prince collapsed after the death of Meraxes and the dragon was useful for his health. 

A 6 years old dragon should be bigger than Drogon, look what Drogon and his siblings are doing in Mereeren 

22 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

I'm not sure about that, but maybe Somnium Draconis (not sure about their username here) can weigh in and explain why 8 or 9 AC isn't a possibility in their opinion.

Some made the theory that the egg hatched from the funeral pyre of Rhaenys on Dragonstone after Aegon read the famous letter, that's why her body was never recovered, something similar to what happened to Daenerys and Drogo

1 minute ago, KingAerys_II said:

Some made the theory that the egg hatched from the funeral pyre of Rhaenys on Dragonstone after Aegon read the famous letter, that's why her body was never recovered, something similar to what happened to Daenerys and Drogo

Well, the text heavily implies Aenys bonded with the dragon before his mother died, I'm just not sure about the exact date.

1 hour ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Well, the text heavily implies Aenys bonded with the dragon before his mother died, I'm just not sure about the exact date.

I found this theory on reddit, it states that actually Aenys bonded with the dragon to recover his health, if I am not wrong he started crawling when the mother died

8 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

The wiki says that the child had difficulties to grow up in his early ages, so it's likely there is a mistake in the wiki and the dragon was given to him at 10 AC, but a 3 year old dragon is not a young hatchling 

8 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

I found this theory on reddit, it states that actually Aenys bonded with the dragon to recover his health, if I am not wrong he started crawling when the mother died

I'm afraid there are a lot of theories out there which actually contradict the text. This is what F&B says:

Aenys came first. Born in 7 AC to Aegon’s younger wife, Rhaenys, the boy was small at birth and sickly. He cried all the time, and it was said that his limbs were spindly, his eyes small and watery, and that the king’s maesters feared for his survival. He would spit out the nipples of his wet nurse, and give suck only at his mother’s breasts, and rumors claimed that he screamed for a fortnight when he was weaned. [...] And the prince was slow to grow as well. Not until he was given the young dragon Quicksilver, a hatchling born that same year on Dragonstone, did Aenys Targaryen begin to thrive.

Prince Aenys was three when his mother, Queen Rhaenys, and her dragon, Meraxes, were slain in Dorne. Her death left the boy prince inconsolable. He stopped eating, and even began to crawl as he had when he was one, as if he had forgotten how to walk.

So it's clear the sequence of events was Aenys being born, having a difficult time, getting a dragon and improving, having some regression after his mother's death. Question remains whether 'born that same year' refers to the year Aenys was born or to the year Aenys bonded with Quicksilver, which could have been in 8 or 9 AC, as well.

His regression continued after the date of 11 AC, Visenya announced her pregnancy this year, because Maegor is born in 12, Visenya became pregnant because Aenys was dying, some lords suggested to replace Visenya with their fertile daughters. 

So the agony continued at least till Visenya announcement, the effect of the dragon seemed almost useless, then Fire and Blood doesn't tell how Aenys recovered his health, it must be the dragon because Jaehaerys wished to save first Daenerys using a dragon, so Quicksilver played a role, but the effect of the dragon seemed useless, that's why the theory of Quicksilver birth in 13 AC

The problem with Quicksilver born in 7 AC is that at the age of 4, a dragon, that doesn't live in the Dragon pit because it was not built yet, should grow very fast as Daenerys dragons do, a 4 year old dragon is not a hatchling and I think it's dangerous to give it to a frail infant kid, Quentyn died because of a 1 year old dragon

The text makes it very clear that Aenys had a difficult start, improved when he bonded with his dragon and had some regression after his mother's death. We don't know how he overcame that regression, we only know he did and we can assume the already existing bond with his dragon helped him.

Since this topic has come up a dozen times so far and is also disputed on the wiki, @Ran, could you state your opinion on the Quicksilver matter?

11 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

The text makes it very clear that Aenys had a difficult start, improved when he bonded with his dragon and had some regression after his mother's death. We don't know how he overcame that regression, we only know he did and we can assume the already existing bond with his dragon helped him.

Since this topic has come up a dozen times so far and is also disputed on the wiki, @Ran, could you state your opinion on the Quicksilver matter?

He overcame the regression thanks to the dragon, that's why Jaehaerys wanted Daenerys to bond with a dragon when she fell ill

I don't really see the contradictions at all. Aenys appears to have been about a year old when he was given Quicksilver, and Quicksilver was then born in 7 AC or 8 AC, Aenys improved, then Aenys regressed after his mother's death for a time before sorting out. The idea that Quicksilver doesn't enter the picture until 12 or 13 AC is completely contradictory to the plain reading of the text.

On 10/11/2023 at 1:02 PM, Ran said:

That is a tough one. Ideally we could have some sort of spoiler-protection thing in place, but... yeah, I mean, he's been a knight for over 20 years now, he should probably be listed as one. Lord, I am less sure of.

"Lord Stokeworth" is just what his men are calling him (for 18 years now :eek:) rather than any sort of official recognition (like in the appendixes), so yeah, I wouldn't put it in the infobox as his title, but it is there as one of his aliases. As for "Ser",  personally, I'm like, if we're including his chain-and-green-flames sigil in the infobox (and we are, as well as the Stokeworth sigil), then avoiding the title "Ser Bronn of the Blackwater" makes no sense.

It would be interesting if we could set up some sort of spoiler-level classes to apply to various text sections in the editor, and create a setting that would let people select their chosen spoiler level in their wiki settings that would display them or not. (Like in the WOIAF app and how another ASOIAF fan site used to do it.) However, the people who would want to hide spoilers are unlikely to have a wiki account, and those who have an account are unlikely to want to hide spoilers, so it would undoubtedly be a lot of work for very little useful purpose. Ah well.

BTW, sorry to bug you on this again, but it looks like that session cache is full again, I'm unable to edit or to upload.  edit: I can edit and upload, but  I can't add external links because the CAPTCHA doesn't work (even very simple math, sigh), and I can't login in a different browser, so there's definitely still some sort of issue.

Edited by Mindset

It seems Aenys regressed for years. 

Visenya announced pregnancy in 11 AC, Maegor is born in 12 AC, so his regression actually lasted for years. 

The book says 7 AC, it's the right date to write in the wiki, but there are some doubts about the date, Aenys clearly came out thanks to the dragon, the King Jaehaerys wished to heal the first Daenerys in the same way, so bonding with the dragon healed Aenys, Jaehaerys was Aenys son, so it's likely he acknowledged the truth from his father

On 10/13/2023 at 9:39 AM, The Wondering Wolf said:

So it's clear the sequence of events was Aenys being born, having a difficult time, getting a dragon and improving, having some regression after his mother's death. Question remains whether 'born that same year' refers to the year Aenys was born or to the year Aenys bonded with Quicksilver, which could have been in 8 or 9 AC, as well.

In my opinion it's safe to say that "born that same year" refers to the year mentioned a few lines earlier, that is 7 AC, when Aenys was born.

Edited by Oneiros Drakontos