The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

I vaguely recall it being from a reading? Is that possible...? Or a Q&A..

Hey it turns out we've disccused this before in Small Questions. I totally forgot but it came up in a search.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/113432-small-questions-v-10084/page-11#entry6000463

I would agree that the name should be changed unless anyone can point to a source for it. "Wars" makes it sound like something it wasn't, I think.

The direwolf section needs to be updated. It says in the opening blurb:

A direwolf is a close relative of the wolf, but larger and stronger. They are named after the real world direwolves, Pleistocenemegafauna, which were larger than modern wolves (but not as large as portrayed in the books). Direwolves are extinct South of the Wall, as they are a very large and dangerous predator, and people have probably hunted them out. [1] A grey direwolf in a white field is the sigil of House Stark.

If you actually follow the link to the reference it says this:

Shaw: Is there any reason why you never hear of direwolves north of the Wall?

Martin: They're an extinct animal in that part. They're a very large and dangerous predator, and people have probably hunted them out.

So according to Martin, direwolves are supposed to be extinct north of the Wall, not south of the wall as the wiki says.

I made that change, I think there's some kinda error or misunderstanding in that interview. We know from Game they haven't been seen south of the wall in two hundred years. Yet clearly the one the Starks find came from somewhere and it probably didn't take a boat from Essos. There's also this:

That was in the dawn of days, when our sun was rising. Now it sinks, and this is our long dwindling. The giants are almost gone as well, they who were our bane and our brothers. The great lions of the western hills have been slain, the unicorns are all but gone, the mammoths down to a few hundred. The direwolves will outlast us all, but their time will come as well. In the world that men have made, there is no room for them, or us.”

Which seems to indicate they are still around in greater numbers than the "few hundred" mammoths. I'd say it's way more likely these animals are living north of the Wall. Perhaps by "They're an extinct animal in that part" Martin meant the area north of the wall that we see through Jon, Chett and Sam's eyes.

Edit: How could I forget this:

“There are still direwolves beyond the Wall. We hear them on our rangings.” Benjen Stark gave Jon a long look.

Edited by RumHam

. He also explains to Davos that he has learned from Wex that Rickon Stark is alive and he needs a smuggler as opposed to a normal sailor to retrieve him from his current location, Skagos. Wyman promises Davos he will swear allegiance to Stannis if Davos does this task for him"

Wyman probably doesn't know it's Rickon. "Bring me back my liege lord " Bran is his overlord...

Wyman probably doesn't know it's Rickon. "Bring me back my liege lord " Bran is his overlord...

He must know it's Rickon, assuming Wex told him the Stark boy in question was walking. He's probably presuming Bran is dead, Wex probably passed on that Bran planned to travel north of the wall. Manderly would probably rather have an able bodied Stark to rally people behind, so he probably didn't look too hard for Bran anyway.

Edited by RumHam

He must know it's Rickon, assuming Wex told him the Stark boy in question was walking. He's probably presuming Bran is dead, Wex probably passed on that Bran planned to travel north of the wall. Manderly would probably rather have an able bodied Stark to rally people behind, so he probably didn't look too hard for Bran anyway.

Well, as long as Wex wasn't closeby enough to hear Bran and co discuss that they were going north of the Wall (and he can't have been closeby enough to hear, as the wolves would have smelled him if he had), he can't have known about it, and thus Wyman can't...

For Wyman it is simple. There are two sons of Ned Stark still alive, and he knows the location of one of them. Naturally, you first search for the one you know the location of.

(and he can't have been closeby enough to hear, as the wolves would have smelled him if he had)

Luwin was dying under the heart tree, and Wex climbed and hid in the heart tree. Glover says Wex heard their voices, though admittedly it's not clear that Wex could understand them. I think that would have to be an enormous tree for Wex to be up high enough to not be able to understand them. So the question is did they say anything beyond "our road is north" while in earshot.

I think the wolves not smelling Wex, both then and when he was tailing Rickon and Osha, is just one of those minor things that strains credibility a bit.

This page -- http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Battle_of_the_Kingsroad -- is incredibly wrong, with an entirely unsourced claim that Borros Baratheon outnumbered his opponents 10 to 1, and had 40,000 men.

In fact there was much nearer to a parity between the two sides, and the numbers were far, far smaller than 40k. I'm hesitant to provide precise figures, but the specific claim that Borros had 40,000 troops is wrong, and the claim that he was confident because he outnumbered the riverlords 10 to 1 is also wrong.

Regent Wars:

If my memory serves me correctly - which actually could be the case - then George himself used that term on his NAB when he mentioned how many worlds he had written on the Regency of Aegon III. That would be in the commentary section on an entry on either TPatQ, TRP, TWoIaF, or something else related.

Whether this is an appropriate term at all I do not know. Ran/Linda do not paint the Regency era as a series of wars although it very well could have been. There were campaigns against the Stepstones and the Ironborn, the battle in the Red Keep itself following the arrest of Thaddeus Rowan, and the fighting in the Vale that killed Corwyn Corbray. Whether this had anything to do with the regents and their parties fighting each other or a general uprising/unrest due to the fact that the central authority was weak I cannot possibly say.

Battle of the Kingsroad:

Well, TWoIaF makes it clear that Borros the Illiterate (or rather Borros the Moron) lost that battle because he dismissed the threat posed by women and children. 40,000 men in total would also surprise me as we know from both TPatQ and TWoIaF that there was fighting in the Riverlands from the beginning of the Dance which should be an indication that the Riverlords were pretty spent by then. The fact that Elmo Tully stayed at home with the Tully levies until Second Tumbleton could be a hint that there were some untapped resources but it should not have been that much. There has to be a reason, though, why Borros had not all Stormlanders at his back. Either there was previously fighting in the Stormlands or Borros let a good portion of his strength back in the city to hold it against other Black forces. But with both the Tully and the Stark army this would seem unlikely to me.

Regent Wars:

If my memory serves me correctly - which actually could be the case - then George himself used that term on his NAB when he mentioned how many worlds he had written on the Regency of Aegon III. That would be in the commentary section on an entry on either TPatQ, TRP, TWoIaF, or something else related.

Whether this is an appropriate term at all I do not know. Ran/Linda do not paint the Regency era as a series of wars although it very well could have been. There were campaigns against the Stepstones and the Ironborn, the battle in the Red Keep itself following the arrest of Thaddeus Rowan, and the fighting in the Vale that killed Corwyn Corbray. Whether this had anything to do with the regents and their parties fighting each other or a general uprising/unrest due to the fact that the central authority was weak I cannot possibly say.

I just searched his blog with google and livejournal's built in search engine and found no instances of the phrase "regent wars."

Okay, then I guess I imagined it. Or it was 'regency wars' or 'regent war' or something like that. Have you found the comment where George talks about the word count of Gyldayn's account on the Regency?

Okay, then I guess I imagined it. Or it was 'regency wars' or 'regent war' or something like that. Have you found the comment where George talks about the word count of Gyldayn's account on the Regency?

I just checked for "regency wars" and found nothing. A search for "regency" gave me what I think is the word count comment you were talking about:

And there's more than you can imagine. Not only the 80,000 word version of the Dance of the Dragons, but another chunk almost as long about the power struggles during the regency that followed... and a long piece preceding P&Q, about all that went before... and...

http://grrm.livejournal.com/347757.html?thread=18471789

Edited by RumHam

I can't find the term "King of the Isles and the Rivers" anywhere in the books. Where does it come from?

The Conquest chapter of TWOIAF: "North of the Blackwater, the riverlands were ruled by the bloody hand of Harren the Black of House Hoare, King of the Isles and the Rivers."