The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

12 minutes ago, Ran said:

Just noticed that a couple of items on the front page -- Featured Article and Did You Know -- are not rendering right. I'm not quite sure why, but if someone who understands the templates can look at it, it'd be great.

I don't know how to permanently fix it, but for now, it should be displaying correctly again. (or, perhaps, this is the permanent fix, I don't know, we should try to test that somehow).

The template "days in month" is used for both featured articles and quotes, and that template was made with the statement that February has 28 days. As this year is a leap year, February has 29 days, and therefore, the template got confused.

I changed the 28 to 29, and as far as I can tell, the display is correct again. I don't know if the template will display erroneously again if next year the month counts only 28 days again (we could perhaps test this by telling the template this month has 30 days, and see how it responds tomorrow), but for now, it works.

If the template has troubles displaying when the month is a day shorter than is stated in the settings (as will be the case next year, if the template isn't adjusted), you could always choose to manually adjust the template when there's a leap year, :) as I did now

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Re: House Ball,

An interesting quirk of George's heraldry is that when he says 'chevron', he means what in our world is the 'chevron inverted'. This is  due to a misunderstanding on his part more than anything, I think, but regardless when he blazoned the Ashford arms with a chevron, and we did the standard  chevron, he indicated that he wanted it pointing down.

Thanks a lot for this clarification. :)

Maybe we should add a note, stating what GRRM really means with "chevron" and linking to Ran's comment.

On 2/26/2016 at 4:40 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Looks good :) We do the same for the other regions?

Sounds good. I created new start and finish templates for the north.

20 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Since we don't know enough about those houses, we shouldn't devide the houses into categories they may not even fit in. What do you think about the houses Nayland, Darry and Whent?

With the two new north templates, I merged the Noble and Other houses into one group.

Regarding the Naylands, maybe they can be in the Noble group (for template purposes) with their article mentioning the possibility of being landed knights?

Jeyne Darry, Mariya Darry, and Wynafrei Whent aren't attainted, so I think the Darrys and Whents should still remain in the Noble grouping.

6 minutes ago, Nittanian said:

Jeyne Darry, Mariya Darry, and Wynafrei Whent aren't attainted, so I think the Darrys and Whents should still remain in the Noble grouping.

Both houses are stripped of their lands, and Jeyne, Mariya and Wynafrei aren't even members of their original houses anymore but of House Frey. Darry goes to House Lannister of Darry, Harrenhal to House Baelish of Harrenhal. Of course a Lannister marries a descendant of the Darrys, but int he end both houses are expropriated.

Do we have criteria for inclusion in a Noble grouping? If it is possessing land, we don't know if many lesser-known families actually have land (like the Tyrells before the Conquest, or the Mollens and Pooles). GRRM allows women to identify with either house, and he mentions the aforementioned women by their maiden names in the appendices. In AGOT Joffrey grants Harrenhal to Janos Slynt, yet he demands Shella swear fealty to the Iron Throne (even if she is now landless) rather than forcing her into immediate exile. In AFFC Gemma states that "House Darry is extinguished in the male line", indicating it still exists in the female line.

Yeah, it's difficult to categorize/group many of the houses because of limited information available. The Iron Throne strips Brightwater Keep from the Florents in ASOS, but no mention is made of them being exiled from Westeros and there are still Florents at the Arbor and Oldtown. In contrast, the Mad King exiled Jon Connington and Jorah Mormont fled from Ned into exile. Maybe deposed would be a better word to use than exiled?

From the entry of Bellegere Otherys:

She was born of a union between a Braavosi merchant’s daughter and an envoy from the Summer Isles.[1]

But in the Mercy chapter of The Winds of Winter it is stated that Bellegere was the daughter of a Sealord's son and a princess from the Summer Isles. And asked for clarification, GRRM replied that the novels always trumped.

So what to do with it?

1 hour ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

From the entry of Bellegere Otherys:

But in the Mercy chapter of The Winds of Winter it is stated that Bellegere was the daughter of a Sealord's son and a princess from the Summer Isles. And asked for clarification, GRRM replied that the novels always trumped.

So what to do with it?

I think Elio's answer below GRRM's tells you, doesn't it? (emphasize mine)

What George says. There's a correction for it in place if there's ever a 4th printing, and I suppose it may make its way into the electronic editions eventually. :) There's a number of other corrections for the future. Eventually we hope to get an errata out just so that people with earlier editions know what was changed. Most of it is quite minor stuff, but there's a couple more substantial things.

On 2-3-2016 at 2:39 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

The Tyrion Lannister article has a section specifically dedicated to Tyrions major relationsips. However, we don't have this for any of the other characters.

Wouldn't it be better to delete that section and insert the information in the remainder of the article, when appropriate?

No opinions on this?

3 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I think Elio's answer below GRRM's tells you, doesn't it? (emphasize mine)

I didn't realise that that comment was written by Elio. :D Alright, so the wiki entry needs to be changed.

16 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

No opinions on this?

I agree with you, especially the section of Cersei contains some assumptions a wiki shouldn't make.

Looks like there was a discussion about POV relationships back in 2011, using the Harry Potter wiki as an example, but that type of content has only been rarely applied to AWOIAF (like Tyrion and Quentyn Martell). I agree that at this point it would probably be better to integrate the relationship content into the rest of the article. Ran wants these to be useful summaries and frowned against excessively large articles in the past.