The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

4 hours ago, Nittanian said:

@John Suburbs points out here that "Our Blades are Sharp" is not included for House Bolton in The Citadel's house mottoes page. I don't see mention in either of the RPG books. Did George mention it in an interview at some point?

It's from GRRM, revealed to westeros.org and Ran. I can't find in the forum exactly when he said it, but it's mentioned here and on this fanart page.

I just put up a non-canon disclaimer template for the video game stuff (both Cyanide RPG and Telltale), and it seems to work okay: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Template:Game

Feedback welcome either here or on the Template's discussion page.

The wording could probably be improved, but hopefully it clearly gets across the message that while the video games are based upon the books and show, there's no major input into them from GRRM/HBO or further involvement with the originating canons, and that this site/wiki remains primarily focused on the books (and show, to a certain extent) but provides the additional info about the official spin-off products as a courtesy to interested visitors.

On ‎26‎.‎03‎.‎2016 at 5:52 PM, The Wondering Wolf said:

Where is it stated that the seat of House Chyttering is Chyttering?

Anyone?

Mallador agrees with Ser Ottyn Wythers and counsels a retreat to the Wall after the discovery of the massive wildling force descending on the Fist of the First Men. However, Thoren Smallwood convinces him to change his mind and he then sides with Thoren for a swift attack.[3]He is killed during the fight at the Fist.

Source?

On 4/2/2016 at 10:52 PM, Mindset said:

It's from GRRM, revealed to westeros.org and Ran. I can't find in the forum exactly when he said it, but it's mentioned here and on this fanart page.

Thanks!

On 4/2/2016 at 6:51 PM, Alexander the Drake said:

I just put up a non-canon disclaimer template for the video game stuff (both Cyanide RPG and Telltale), and it seems to work okay: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Template:Game

Looks good!

1 hour ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Anyone?

Source?

Looks like Mallador is last mentioned as being at the Fist, but I haven't found confirmation of him dying there.

Can't find anything about a place named Chyttering. The Green Ronin RPG and The Citadel list the house as sworn to King's Landing. The AFFC Appendix says that Lord Lucos Chyttering is sworn to Storm's End in the Stannis section.

On 2-4-2016 at 0:51 AM, Alexander the Drake said:

Feedback welcome either here or on the Template's discussion page.

The wording could probably be improved, but hopefully it clearly gets across the message that while the video games are based upon the books and show, there's no major input into them from GRRM/HBO or further involvement with the originating canons, and that this site/wiki remains primarily focused on the books (and show, to a certain extent) but provides the additional info about the official spin-off products as a courtesy to interested visitors.

Looks good! :)

20 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Anyone?

I've looked, but I can't find anything on Chyttering.

@Nittanian

As others said, It's what George provided to us for them, and we passed it on to HBO, who used it in some marketing. Haven't updated our mottoes page because we haven't updated the shield as of yet.

George provided the Dayne one to us at the same time, but in that case he noted he wasn't happy with it, so we've not published it.

Edited by Ran

@Ran,

Do you consider the episode titles from Game of Thrones Season 6 as a spoiler, and the official one-line episode synopsis?

In other words, would it be ok to place those on the wiki as they are being revealed, or do we have to wait with that? And if so, when do you consider it to be appropriate?

For episode 1, for example, it would be the following:

Spoiler

Episode 1:

Title: The Red Woman

Synopsis: Jon Snow is dead. Daenerys meets a strong man. Cersei sees her daughter again.

Episode info: The episode is written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, and directed by Jeremy Podeswa

The Arya Stark page has a separate section titled "Arya and Death".  Would it be possible to work the contents of that section into the remainder of the page, instead of having it separate?

On 9-4-2016 at 0:20 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

@Ran,

Do you consider the episode titles from Game of Thrones Season 6 as a spoiler, and the official one-line episode synopsis?

In other words, would it be ok to place those on the wiki as they are being revealed, or do we have to wait with that? And if so, when do you consider it to be appropriate?

For episode 1, for example, it would be the following:

Reveal hidden contents

Episode 1:

Title: The Red Woman

Synopsis: Jon Snow is dead. Daenerys meets a strong man. Cersei sees her daughter again.

Episode info: The episode is written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, and directed by Jeremy Podeswa

No opinions?

The arms of House Edgerton don't match with the description at the Citadel, the fields are mixed up.

The arms of House Westbrook depict four bars instead of two.

@Ran House Yelshire - Barry green and gold, a black battering ram with a gold head on a black chief

Black on black seems a bit unlikely, and your version depicts a white chief, can you tell what's the right one?

Edited by The Wondering Wolf

In time, Lannister kings wed their children to Andals as well; indeed, when Gerold III died without male issues, a council crowned his only daughter's husband, Ser Joffery Lydden, who took the Lannister name and became the first Andal to rule the Rock. Other noble houses were also born in such unions—such as Jast, Lefford, Parren, Droxe, Marbrand, Braxe, Serrett, Sarsfield, and Kyndall. And thus revitalized, the Kings of the Rock expanded their realm still farther.

Many noble houses of the Reach trace their ancestry back to Andal adventurers given lands and wives by Garth IX, Merle I, and Gwayne V, amongst them the Ormes, Parrens, Gracefords, Cuys, Roxtons, Ufferings, Leygoods, and Varners. As the centuries passed, the sons and daughters of these houses intermarried so freely with those descended from the First Men that it became impossible to tell them apart. Seldom has a conquest been achieved with less bloodshed.

So were those two different houses with the same name?

On 17-4-2016 at 10:35 PM, The Wondering Wolf said:

The arms of House Edgerton don't match with the description at the Citadel, the fields are mixed up.

Is there a specific order of the fields in quartered arms? 

On 17-4-2016 at 10:35 PM, The Wondering Wolf said:

The arms of House Westbrook depict four bars instead of two.

This one can easily be fixed :)

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

4 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Yes, I think it's one of the basic rules. :) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartering_(heraldry

Cool, I didn't know! Thanks!

Ok, so from what I've gathered from the wikipedia page linked on the one you linked, the father's arms are always depicted in the upper left corner and lower right (so fields 1 and 4). 

But, do we know which one of the arms belonged to the paternal line, originally, and which one came from the female line? Since the wiki and the Citadel represent it in opposite order?

31 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

But, do we know which one of the arms belonged to the paternal line, originally, and which one came from the female line? Since the wiki and the Citadel represent it in opposite order?

It's not about the paternal or female line but the order in the description. The first field is always mentioned first, then the second one and so on.

"Quartered: black and white half-fusily, a wheel of flame on indigo" means that the first (and fourth) field show black and white half-fusily, the second (and third) field a wheel of flame indigo.

1 minute ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

It's not about the paternal or female line but the order in the description. The first field is always mentioned first, then the second one and so on.

"Quartered: black and white half-fusily, a wheel of flame on indigo" means that the first (and fourth) field show black and white half-fusily, the second (and third) field a wheel of flame indigo.

Ah, ok, I get it.

I can try to fix both of the sigils (House Edgerton and House Westbrook). It doesn't seem to be such a difficult issue. But since I'm not the original uploader, do I have that authority?