Breaking Bad Season 3

WarGalley

I was finally able to watch the first episode of season 2. For me, one of the great things about this show was that when Walter and Jesse were scared, so was I. Tuco seriously scares me. I don’t think any other tv villain has ever done that to me before.

Good interview with Cranston here at [url="http://www.avclub.com/articles/bryan-cranston,24943/"]AVClub[/url].

[quote]The tighty-whitey underwear was actually in the script. And initially I was going to change it, because I had done that on Malcolm In The Middle. But then the more I thought about it, the more I realized, “You know, this works in an oddly different way than it did on Malcolm.” So I kept it. What I came up with was that I thought this guy was invisible to himself and to the world, and so there should be some sort of mask on him. So I added the glasses and the mustache. That seemed to work.[/quote]

[quote name='TengAiHui' post='1717577' date='Mar 12 2009, 14.48']I don’t think any other tv villain has ever done that to me before.[/quote]i was on the edge of my seat whenever tuco was involved. tuco=unpredictable

best show i've seen in a long time. i really get into this show, i hate waiting a week to find out what happens next.

They consistently do the Future-Event-Intro very well. I also like the tension involved with major characters in peril. Even though they haven't killed any of the main characters, I find myself in suspense whenever Walt and Jesse are in danger.

And yet another great episode!

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1721693' date='Mar 16 2009, 20.07']They consistently do the Future-Event-Intro very well. I also like the tension involved with major characters in peril. Even though they haven't killed any of the main characters, I find myself in suspense whenever Walt and Jesse are in danger.[/quote]

This is definitely one of those shows where nobody is safe. Walt, while the main character, has a limited shelf life and he will be dead before the series is over. We'll just have to wait and see whether or not the cancer gets him or if it's something else.

so I've been rewatching the first season, and one thing that is absolutely brilliant is Jesse affecting a hip-hop dialect, it's hilariously awful

Sad to see Tuco's character go, he was one of the scariest drug dealers ever on the screen.

Did Skyler discover the 2nd phone when she took Walt's clothes after they got home? There seemed something odd about that scene and then she brought it up later and gave the cold shoulder after Walt's denial.

I thought Theo was going to pick Jesse out in the interview room. Also thought Hank was going to check the vending machines at the hotel to see if they had Hot Pockets and Funyons. Man I'm getting paranoid.

[quote]Did Skyler discover the 2nd phone when she took Walt's clothes after they got home? There seemed something odd about that scene and then she brought it up later and gave the cold shoulder after Walt's denial.[/quote]

I don't know if she did, but its probably not important. What's important is that Sky does not believe her husband (whether or not she actually found a cell phone). Its a very jarring moment because Walt played that entire transition perfectly! He had the cops, the hospital, the bad guys, everyone eating out of the palm of his hand! He was brilliant. Yes, some stuff had to break his way (Wendy getting hard-assed; the old guy ... not ringing), but he layed his play and everying came out for him...

... but sometimes, the best laid plans. Just when he thought he had handled everything - his reactions, he information sharring, the transfer of the lab, etc - just when he thought he had all the answers... Sky asked a knuckleball question, Walt lied, and she knows he lied. No matter what happens from this point on, he cannot get that back. He has to change that tactic.

The whole point of that last scene was simple: you cannot fool all the people all of the time, and the one person on Earth Wal needs on his side now does not trust him.

[quote name='Commodore' post='1729644' date='Mar 22 2009, 16.22']so I've been rewatching the first season, and one thing that is absolutely brilliant is Jesse affecting a hip-hop dialect, it's hilariously awful[/quote]

In context, Jesse [i]is [/i]a rich, or at least upper middle class white kid who grew up in the suburbs.

[quote name='Rockroi' post='1731806' date='Mar 24 2009, 13.48']I don't know if she did, but its probably not important. What's important is that Sky does not believe her husband (whether or not she actually found a cell phone). Its a very jarring moment because Walt played that entire transition perfectly! He had the cops, the hospital, the bad guys, everyone eating out of the palm of his hand! He was brilliant. Yes, some stuff had to break his way (Wendy getting hard-assed; the old guy ... not ringing), but he layed his play and everying came out for him...

... but sometimes, the best laid plans. Just when he thought he had handled everything - his reactions, he information sharring, the transfer of the lab, etc - just when he thought he had all the answers... Sky asked a knuckleball question, Walt lied, and she knows he lied. No matter what happens from this point on, he cannot get that back. He has to change that tactic.

The whole point of that last scene was simple: you cannot fool all the people all of the time, and the one person on Earth Wal needs on his side now does not trust him.[/quote]

Interesting I didn't realize that connection. Here's my take:

As you mentioned before, part of Walt's decision to cook meth is to protect the last thing he has in the world (his family). I've also attributed it to Walt not wanting to be invisible as mentioned in the Cranston interview (I swear I was going to use the word invisible to previously describe Walt.. before I even read that interview), or to be the guy who won't be remembered except by his family, or the guy who didn't do anything with his life when many of his colleagues have. Otherwise why not just take the more prestigious, high pay, good medical benefits job offer from his friend in S1? His refusal can't just be due to jealousy or shame given the criminal alternative he chooses. He doesn't want more of the mundane white collar life. He needs to fill the dull, unemotional void in his life and be able to take care of his family.

The consequence of this is that his lifestyle is slowly disconnecting himself from his family. While trying to avoid becoming an invisible figure to himself and the world, he's becoming the invisible man to his family. Walt began to realize that when he hid behind the door in his house and saw Skyler and Walt Jr. in the kitchen. He saw the toll on Skyler and his son trying to comfort and take care of her. This was what their lives would look like after Walt dies, even though Walt is still alive at that moment.

Not going to read this thread until I'm caught up, so I can avoid spoilers on S2, but we just finished Season 1 from Netflix, and this is a great show.

The actor who plays the lead is fantastic. The range of emotions he shows on his face without saying a word is nothing short of amazing: the resignation during the Intervention by his wife, the guilt when the high school janitor was fired for his theft, when he was contemplating how to kill the drug dealer in his basement, etc. Pretty much any scene, he knocks out of the park.

Great chemistry with Jesse, who could've just played it as an annoying wigger, but shows deeper layers. Rest of the cast is great as well. His wife and son are decent, but his klepto SIL and her DEA husband crack me up. I thought the Tuco character was kinda overacted: like Joe Pesci on meth. But he may not even be in S2, so I won't quibble too much about him.

Kinda bummed we missed the first few episodes of this season, but am hoping to find them online somewhere.

[quote name='Blaine23' post='1714876' date='Mar 10 2009, 11.45']Breaking Bad is what it is. A straightforward rumination on the effects of drugs and crime on 3-4 mostly realistic characters. And so far, they've only had 8 episodes, whereas Mad Men has covered two different periods, featured a much larger cast and aimed for more ambitious storytelling over 26 episodes.[/quote]

I've been trying to coherently, you know, figure out why I'm having some trouble with [i]Dollhouse[/i] and I think it comes back to this show. And really to your post, Blaine. I agree with your point, [i]Breaking Bad[/i] is not nearly as ambitious as [i]Mad Men[/i] artistically, but I think the reason (and this gets back to why I'm having trouble with [i]Dollhouse[/i]) folks are enjoying it so much is because of an intense (an HBO-ian) attention to mundane detail. All the good HBO shows spent some significant time dealing with the moments in between their individual genre action (it's odd that, you know, that was the whole point of [i]The Sopranos[/i] and fans were disappointed with the lack of killing and mobness) or that would normally be glossed over on a typical show (exhaustion and probable cause in [i]The Wire[/i]). They really spent a lot of time dramatizing and explaining the actions/motivations of their characters.

That quality of [i]Breaking Bad[/i]'s writing (internal consistency, thought, depth and vaguely planned narrative goals) should be the baseline for the medium. [i]Dollhouse[/i] and many network shows take so much for granted. That's, partially, why they aren't as well-received critically. This is what we, as television fans, should expect out of our shows. Shows like [i]Breaking Bad[/i] and [i]Mad Men[/i] are making it hard to go back and watch stuff that isn't as careful. Which is good, because they're pushing the medium forward, but bad because there aren't nearly enough of them on TV at the moment.

[quote name='The Sandy Llama' post='1737062' date='Mar 28 2009, 15.33']That quality of [i]Breaking Bad[/i]'s writing (internal consistency, thought, depth and vaguely planned narrative goals) should be the baseline for the medium. [i]Dollhouse[/i] and many network shows take so much for granted. That's, partially, why they aren't as well-received critically. This is what we, as television fans, should expect out of our shows. Shows like [i]Breaking Bad[/i] and [i]Mad Men[/i] are making it hard to go back and watch stuff that isn't as careful. Which is good, because they're pushing the medium forward, but bad because there aren't nearly enough of them on TV at the moment.[/quote]
I agree with pretty much all of that. In fact, I thought last night's episode might've been my favorite Breaking Bad installment since the pilot. Less about drug lord, all about characters. Seeing them push Walter and Jesse's characters to such depths, but it's not a "gun in your face"... that's stuff is easy to deal with compared to dealing with the kind of cruelty that only your family can dish out. And it's even worse when you totally deserve it - as both Walter and Jesse know they do.

I'm glad they're giving Skyler more depth, too. For too long on this show, she's been portrayed as a bit too pure and idealized - basically as a contrast to the sick world that Walter is sinking into. She needs more of her own arc and last night was a good (and disturbing) start, I think.

[quote name='Blaine23' post='1738843' date='Mar 30 2009, 14.53']I agree with pretty much all of that. In fact, I thought last night's episode might've been my favorite Breaking Bad installment since the pilot. Less about drug lord, all about characters. Seeing them push Walter and Jesse's characters to such depths, but it's not a "gun in your face"... that's stuff is easy to deal with compared to dealing with the kind of cruelty that only your family can dish out. And it's even worse when you totally deserve it - as both Walter and Jesse know they do.

I'm glad they're giving Skyler more depth, too. For too long on this show, she's been portrayed as a bit too pure and idealized - basically as a contrast to the sick world that Walter is sinking into. She needs more of her own arc and last night was a good (and disturbing) start, I think.[/quote]

I agree and found this episode somewhat relaxing and satisfiable. I don't need nor expect these characters to be in life or death situations every episode.

I had a good laugh when Jesse falls through the port-a-potty.

Great episode. On the face of it, it seems like a bridge between storylines but the exploration of the characters was so good that it doesn't matter. Who needs plot when the writing and acting is this well done?

:lol: at Jesse dropping into the portable toilet. I loved the way it served as a metaphor for what happened to him throughout the episode while being laugh out loud funny.

ETA: At the beginning of this episode there was a teddy bear fished out of a pool and then lined up, in an evidence bag, with Walt's glasses and a load of other items. WTF what that about? It had no bearing on what happened susequently.

Archived