College Basketball - The Offseason

RedEyedGhost

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1729040' date='Mar 21 2009, 22.58']Yeah I was surprised that there weren't any timeouts called in that span. Maybe they didn't have any left? It all happened so fast..[/quote]

Nah. If you stuck around after the Duke game ended, they talked to McDonald outside the locker room. He said he was trying to call timeout. They even showed a close-up of him on the sideline calling for a timeout twice. First when there was 7 seconds left before Gonzaga inbounded the ball and then again before that final heave with .9 left.

Refs should be aware and one of them should have been looking at the bench.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1729040' date='Mar 21 2009, 22.58']Yeah I was surprised that there weren't any timeouts called in that span. Maybe they didn't have any left? It all happened so fast..[/quote]

TV guys are talking about how WKU had a timeout left, so I'll believe that.

When I watched it live I figured, "Well, I guess that's the way it goes when you get to that play with no timeouts left." But if he was trying to call the TO and got ignored (or never noticed or whatever) that kind of sucks for him. Refs getting caught up in the moment, I doubt he was ignored on purpose. Still... too bad that thrilling ending has a bit of a bad taste.

Some great games to end the day yet again. I feel bad for Western Kentucky after I found out about the timeout fiasco.

The Big 12 is letting me down, they only went 1-2 today. I had Texas making the Elite Eight, so that loss messed up my bracket. Still, as long as Kansas wins out, I'll be happy.

[quote name='Rhom' post='1729046' date='Mar 21 2009, 21.05']Nah. If you stuck around after the Duke game ended, they talked to McDonald outside the locker room. He said he was trying to call timeout. They even showed a close-up of him on the sideline calling for a timeout twice. First when there was 7 seconds left before Gonzaga inbounded the ball and then again before that final heave with .9 left.

Refs should be aware and one of them should have been looking at the bench.[/quote]

I saw one of the WKU players signaling for a TO after Gonzaga made the shot and before the inbounds too. So the refs were not paying attention all around.

[quote name='Rhom' post='1729046' date='Mar 21 2009, 23.05']Nah. If you stuck around after the Duke game ended, they talked to McDonald outside the locker room. He said he was trying to call timeout. They even showed a close-up of him on the sideline calling for a timeout twice. First when there was 7 seconds left before Gonzaga inbounded the ball and then again before that final heave with .9 left.

Refs should be aware and one of them should have been looking at the bench.[/quote]

Oh damn, that's a tough break. A timeout changes everything. It was really strange to see the last 20 seconds go without a foul or a timeout. This makes a lot of sense. I feel bad for the WKU guys.

Holy shit! Less than 4 weeks after having surgery to insert a screw into his broken foot, [url="http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/41640992.html"]Dominic James has been cleared[/url] to play in Sunday's game versus Missouri.

[quote]The injury initially was expected to be season-ending. But over the past week James underwent numerous tests, an individual workout Friday and then practiced with the Golden Eagles for 90 minutes Saturday.

With no pain in the foot, James was given the all-clear to play late Saturday night.[/quote]

Some really exciting games last night. I was up way past my 'old-guy' bedtime and went to bed just before the Duke game. I'd have liked to see the Gonzaga game, it sounds like it was a good one.

I don't think there will be any major upsets today (at least I hope not) but the Marquette/Missouri game could prove interesting.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1729183' date='Mar 22 2009, 00.34']I saw that too. I would absolutely love it if Marquette went on a run now. I hate seeing good seniors go down with bad injuries.

That being said, I don't know how much we can expect from him. If he can make them better at all it will be a bonus. I actually went out and picked Marquette over Mizzou just cause I wanted to shake my bracket up a bit but this makes me want to pull for them much more.[/quote]

It would make a great story if he can pull off the win. I too hate win somebody has a season ending injury near the end of their senior season.

[quote]REG - You now have an ally against the hated Tiger.[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote]I am a bit embarrassed to not know the rule...does the clock not stop on a made basket in this instance? That's what I was thinking and so I was thinking that it was WKU's bad for inbounding it. Does the clock run?[/quote]

The clock was stopped, but the inbounding player lost his head and threw the ball in immediately. The refs should have still been looking toward the bench for the TO in that situation. The really big miss was WKU trying to get the TO before Gonzaga inbounded to score the go ahead bucket, because then WKU would have been allowed to set up their defense, a TO at 0.9 remaining wouldn't have made much difference.

Syracuse looked [b]good[/b] today. Their game against Oklahoma next weekend should be great.

WTF was I thinking when I filled out my bracket??? Two Pac 10 teams in the final four? That's why you don't make last minute changes - you end up thinking Washington and Arizona St. have a chance :leaving:

[quote name='DVD ROTS' post='1729549' date='Mar 22 2009, 12.37']Weird... Dayton seem to be outrebounding Kansas a little, but they just keep jacking up awful shots.[/quote]

and we can't buy a 3 pointer. We're 0-5 on wide open looks at this point.

Cole Aldrich with the first triple double in KU history!!

(Wilt had a couple but blocks weren't a recorded stat then.)

ETA: the last triple double in the tournament that included blocked shots? 1992 - Shaq.

[quote name='dalThor' post='1729658' date='Mar 22 2009, 14.47']Oklahoma State's hanging tough against Pitt. Heck of a game.[/quote]

I would love it OSU can pull out the win. It would destroy my bracket, but my bracket's fucked already so no big deal there.

Archived