College Basketball - The Offseason

RedEyedGhost

My bracket is a mess and I'm in last place. I'm so embarrassed, I've never done so poorly on a bracket. Serves me right for not paying attention to the game this year at all. I'm gonna go hide in a hole now.

All three games right now within a handful of points.

MSU and Louisville are in some deep shit.

At least in Louisville's case they have some time left.

Even though I picked Louisville over Siena, I'm still excited to see Siena playing a competitive game. Besides, at this point it may be better to hope to see everyone else's picks go out early, even earlier than I predicted, and give my own picks an easier path.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1729777' date='Mar 22 2009, 18.23']Oh that poor bastard for Marquette stepping over the line on the inbound :wideeyed:[/quote]

Yeah.... wow. They probably weren't going to make it anyway, but what a way to turn it over when you absolutely can't afford it.

So, who's doing better than President Obama's picks so far? He got 14/16 of the Sweet 16, that's downright respectable.

[url="http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/entry?entryID=2813746"]The Presidential Picks[/url], courtesy of ESPN.

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1729817' date='Mar 22 2009, 20.10']So, who's doing better than President Obama's picks so far? He got 14/16 of the Sweet 16, that's downright respectable.

[url="http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/entry?entryID=2813746"]The Presidential Picks[/url], courtesy of ESPN.[/quote]
I think I only gott 13/16, which is sad because I could have gotten 14/16 by just picking the top 4 seeds to advance out of each bracket. Only one lower seed won in the second round, a five over a four. I suppose you could count a 12 over a 13 as a battle between lower seeds too. There were lots of close calls though.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1729835' date='Mar 22 2009, 18.30']Wow, this sweet 16 is absolutely devoid of Cinderellas.[/quote]

It's down right amazing that for as wide open as the field was this year, we have every 1-3 seed still remaining, two 4s, a 5, and Arizona @ a 12.

YW must be on cloud nine.

I don't know what it is but over the last 4-5 years there has been a sharp downturn on the number of upsets. Over that same time there has also been a large decrease in the number of mid majors. If those are related I'm not sure. Were there more upsets previously because mid majors were being upset more, or because they were upsetting others more? I'd have to lean towards the second, because even when there were more mid majors I don't think many of them were being seeded 1-4. (although there were exceptions like St Josephs and such) Next year if I remember I'll probably go much more chalk heavy in picks.

Honestly, I think Zona can beat Louisville. And in complete seriousness, my first bracket had Zona going to the Elite Eight and losing to Kansas...until I redid it with a "serious" bracket.

I curse the morning I woke up and decided to redo my bracket.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1729864' date='Mar 22 2009, 21.03']It's down right amazing that for as wide open as the field was this year, we have every 1-3 seed still remaining, two 4s, a 5, and Arizona @ a 12.[/quote]

What's been remarkable about the last two days is that in almost every game the underdog is right there with 4, 5 minutes to go, either leading or just about tied. And yet in every case, the favorite has then been able to find that extra gear and pull away. In the end, the difference between a 1 and an 8 isn't that large, often it's just that slight difference in composure down the stretch. None of the "great" teams have looked that great, but we're still in for one of the chalkiest Sweet Sixteens I can recall.

[quote]Honestly, I think Zona can beat Louisville.[/quote]
[quote]I absolutely believe Arizona can beat Louisville[/quote]

You don't get [url="http://s3.amazonaws.com/images.nachofoto.com/b-Rick-Pitino-the-Head-47749dd29a94.jpeg"]suits[/url] like this losing to Arizona.

Archived