Worst Husband in Westeros

Paxter

Well, following on from the "worst father" thread I posted a while back, here is the inevitable sequel.

Westeros is full of below-average husbands. It is not uncommon for men to marry for reasons other than love in ASOIAF (e.g. Roose Bolton, Ramsay Bolton, Bronn of Blackwater etc.) and so it is unsurprising that marriages are often strained (especially amongst the nobility). But, the question is, when it comes to husbands in Westeros, who are the worst of the worst?

The nominees are as follows:

[b]Petyr Baelish[/b]:
Killed his own wife, after she discovered his affection for Sansa. Played Lysa for a fool throughout most of the series.

[b]Rhaegar Targaryen[/b]:
Crowned Lyanna Stark Queen of Love and Beauty instead of his wife. His intimate relationship with Lyanna eventually resulted in the death of Elia and (at least one of) his children.

[b]Eddard Stark[/b]:
Has never told Catelyn the truth about Jon Snow, and refused to discuss the matter with her. Some would argue that a marriage should bear no secrets...

[b]Tyrion Lannister[/b]:
Watched his father's guards rape his wife. Even agreed to have sex with her afterwards. Of course, there are mitigating factors: he thought that Tysha was a whore and that she had entered into their marriage under false pretences. Also treated Sansa with respect during his second marriage. Still, him having sex with Tysha again after all that had happened was pretty hard to believe...

[b]Stannis Baratheon[/b]:
Is probably sleeping with Mel. Has a pretty frosty relationship with Selyse. Is yet to show any genuine affection for his wife.

[b]Doran Martell[/b]:
Is physically and emotionally separated from his wife, who lives in Norvos. Mellario left him when he sent their first-born son to live away from Sunspear.

[b]Balon Greyjoy[/b]:
Not exactly the model husband. Seemed to spend little or no time with Alannys, who lives at Ten Towers rather than Pyke.

[b]Victarion Greyjoy[/b]:
The only one on the list apart from Petyr who has actually committed the act of uxoricide. Killed his wife after finding out that she was sleeping with Euron.

[b]Robert Baratheon[/b]:
Habitually cheated on his wife by sleeping with prostitutes, and occasionally abused her physically. IIRC, he also called Cersei by Lyanna's name on their wedding night.

[b]Renly Baratheon[/b]:
Shared an intimate relationship with his wife's brother, but not with his wife.

[b]Craster[/b]:
Well, I've saved the obvious choice until last.

ETA: [b]Gregor Clegane[/b]: Married and widowed twice. Nominated by Rinso.

ETA: [b]Ramsay Bolton[/b]: Forced Lady Hornwood to marry him and then locked her up and starved her to death. Nominated by the Bastard of Godsgrace.

I've probably missed a couple of obvious choices, so feel free to nominate your own worst husband.

[quote name='Rinso' post='1729247' date='Mar 22 2009, 18.43']You might throw [b]Gregor Clegane [/b]as well. He was married and widowed twice. With his wonderful personality, it's not hard to imagine what happened :uhoh:[/quote]

Ah yes, how could I forget. Like you, I am guessing that neither of those deaths were accidents...

[quote name='Bastard of Godsgrace' post='1729252' date='Mar 22 2009, 18.59']Ramsay Bolton certainly should be on the list.[/quote]

Agreed. False imprisonment of one's wife has got to be worse than cheating. Not sure why I didn't include him initially.

I think [b]Joffery 'Baratheon' [/b]deserves a mention. His sadistic treatment of his betrothed, Sansa, was pretty awful in itself and he was only just getting started! As undisputed king and soon to be full-grown man, he would have given free reign to his every nasty impulse, not stopping short of murder either.

My vote for worst husband goes to [b]Gregor [/b]though. With Gregor, I think marriage is pretty much certain death, by brutal, bloody and possibly agonizing means. With the rest there are always ways to save your skin at least. Joff could be flattered or avoided, and Ramsay might not kill you if it wasn't politically expedient. Craster will sacrifice your boy children but not you. Gregor, though...Gregor is going to kill you every time.

Eddard Stark? [i]Eddard Stark?!?![/i]

:huh:

And whoa whoa whoa there to Tyrion. That was his father's doing, not his.

I don't have major problems with the rest of your picks, although I would say that Marg was probably aware of Renly's relationship with Loras and didn't care, that we don't see how Doran treats his wife ever. He could be writing her loving letters every week and treat her tenderly whenever they are together. Rhaegar was probably always dutiful and kind to Elia, and Targs can have multiple wives, so I think that's pushing it as well.

So I seriously disagree with the first two I mentioned, mildly disagree with those others...but I agree with the rest. Hell, if you put Doran on your list, I'd say Jon Arryn can make an appearance as well. Although that would be one that I mildly disagree with. :P

There are also ol' Wader (lecherous hundred-year-old with a taste for youn fillies, refers to his wives as sluts and bedwarmers, what's not to love in him?) and Azor Azhai. Bronn may or may not be abusive but he will not get along with your family very well.

Ramsay seems to beat them all but may be disqualified on the technicality that his marriage was not valid.

Petyr Baelish:
I totally agree, espiecally since I don't think he intended to be married to Lysa for very long.

Eddard Stark:
Nope. And there are some people who think that a marriage needs some secrets to succeed.

Tyrion Lannister:
Another nope. He was a kid when he was married to Tysha and the whole incident in the barracks was orchestrated by his dear old dad. And he was a good husband to Sansa.

Stannis Baratheon:
Not sure about this one. Everyone says Mel is pretty, but wouldn't you be afraid to sleep with her??? As far as affection to his wife, Stannis does not really show affection for anyone, does he?

Doran Martell:
I think we need more info to draw a conclusion here.

Balon Greyjoy:
Ditto.

Victarion Greyjoy:
He is in the top five of worst husbands.

Robert Baratheon:
Well, he wouldn't be my first choice of husbands, but in his defense, how would you like to be married to someone who hates you?

Renly Baratheon:
I kind of feel that he was married to the wrong sibling and its not his fault he's gay.

Craster:
Right up there on the worst list.

Gregor Clegane: Ditto.

Ramsay Bolton: Ditto.

A couple more to be considered:

Aerys Targaryen:
Pretty obvious, but worth mention as he did have abusive sexual relations with his wife against her will.

Lancel Lannister:
Would not sleep with his whorish wife who probably wanted nothing more then to get boned. He basically had no relationship with her at all and eventually abandoned her.

Randyll Tarly:
Sounds like he was mostly decent to his wife, and he says to Sam that he doesn't want to put her through more pain...but he threatens to kill their son and sends him away forever because he doesn't approve of him.

Ser Balman Byrch: Falyse's husband. Kinda minor in the story, but he prefers to sleep with virgins rather than his wife and shuns her bed.

I wouldn't really say that tyrion really respected sansa...recall that he was basically setting shae as sansa's maid and practically fucking shae right under sansa's nose...a rather low move on tyrion's part. so much for respect.

As for the worst husband...I'll need to think about it...

Low move? Tyrion told her what he was going to do. And she seemed fine with it as long as she wasn't the one being bedded.

After saying you never want your husband, you expect him to be celibate for you?
Have to say this is a case of Sansa being a bad wife (though completely justified and lists as one of my rare moments of Sansa being cool)

I don't really blame either Tyrion or Sansa for the way their marriage turned out. I mean, after Tyrion's family murdered her brother, sister, mother, and father...the chance of her opening up to Tyrion is understandably remote. Tyrion was always kind to Sansa, and I don't hold him cheating on her against him.

Perhaps Tyrion should have defied his father and not married her. He did swear an oath to return her to Cat if Jaime was freed. He didn't know about Jaime, but he knew he wasn't dead either. Of course, Tywin's retribution would have been harsh.

Ramsay Bolton: What he did was quite horrible.

Robert Baratheon: Cersei's an evil b*tch which almost mitigates the beatings. However, I have to draw the line at Robert raping her (which he did, at least by modern sensibilities). Cersei really should win the "worst mother" award.

Craster: Takes the cake. Read about that Fritz guy in Austria. Now picture someone doing that to more than one daughter. That's why Craster wins this award (IMO)!

Archived