MLB Thread

Jaime L

Sportswriter friend of mine says [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7257"]Zack Greinke[/url] wins the Cy Young this year. Told me this early in the day (before gametime). Fucker must've been drunk cause the notion of anyone on KC winning jack shit just sends me into fits of laughter.

On a side note, KC beats the White Sox today.....Greinke pitches a shutout. Fuck...

Fucker would have to go 30-0 to win shit with the Royals, so that prophecy still ain't coming true.

In either case, I fucking love baseball season. Even if ESPN insists on treating it like Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs season. (yeah I went there.) In either case, may any team north of the Loop and within the original 13 colonies with and die this season. Go Sox! (the real ones)

[quote name='EHK for Darwin' post='1750227' date='Apr 9 2009, 02.08']Sportswriter friend of mine says [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7257"]Zack Greinke[/url] wins the Cy Young this year. Told me this early in the day (before gametime). Fucker must've been drunk cause the notion of anyone on KC winning jack shit just sends me into fits of laughter.

On a side note, KC beats the White Sox today.....Greinke pitches a shutout. Fuck...

Fucker would have to go 30-0 to win shit with the Royals, so that prophecy still ain't coming true.

In either case, I fucking love baseball season. Even if ESPN insists on treating it like Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs season. (yeah I went there.) In either case, may any team north of the Loop and within the original 13 colonies with and die this season. Go Sox! (the real ones)[/quote]

I love Greinke. I think he was rushed up way too early and as a result, had a few rough seasons that really shook his confidence but over the past few years, he's been steadily improving. If he doesn't put it together this year, he will next.

And I will say, that offense is improved with Coco Crisp leading off and Teahen moved to 2nd base. The problem the Royals have is that after Meche and Greinke, they have no starting pitching.

Now that the Yankees are 0-2, the world is over. Bring on the articles...

I will say though, that Baltimore offense is really good. I wouldn't want to pitch against them.

[quote name='EHK for Darwin' post='1750227' date='Apr 9 2009, 02.08']Even if ESPN insists on treating it like Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs season. (yeah I went there.) In either case, may any team north of the Loop and within the original 13 colonies with and die this season. Go Sox! (the real ones)[/quote]
Fail.

:)

So when the Royals finish above the White Sox in the standings this season, does that mean EHK will stay out of the television threads I like that he doesn't like any more...? ;)

And I really almost wanted to come into this thread to see a Caliban, "FUUUUUUUUUKKKKOOOODOOOMMMEEEEEE!" post after his 4/5 with a homer last night. :P

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1750193' date='Apr 8 2009, 22.03']Great news everyone, the Dodgers beat the Padres 5 to 2.[/quote]

Any series against the Padres where you don't sweep will eventually put you at a competitive disadvantage with the rest of the division.

Crazy, was watching Baseball Tonight last night and they were talking about a new hot pitcher for the Angels. And now less than 12 hours later he is dead. :(

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4055343"]http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4055343[/url]

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1750600' date='Apr 9 2009, 12.43']Crazy, was watching Baseball Tonight last night and they were talking about a new hot pitcher for the Angels. And now less than 12 hours later he is dead. :(

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4055343"]http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4055343[/url][/quote]

I had the exact same reaction. "He can't be dead... they were just talking about him on TV last night!" Bit of a local connection here as he grew up and played his high school ball here. A few years ago it looked like we might try to trade for him in a Miguel Tejada package (or at least his name was thrown around, who knows how real the talks actually were).

Tragedy really can strike anyone at any time. It is very sad and a bit scary.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1750389' date='Apr 9 2009, 08.16']So when the Royals finish above the White Sox in the standings this season, does that mean EHK will stay out of the television threads I like that he doesn't like any more...? ;)[/quote]

Impossible. Royals ineptitude is as scientifically certain as Republican idiocy.

[quote name='EHK for Darwin' post='1750910' date='Apr 9 2009, 14.19']Impossible. Royals ineptitude is as scientifically certain as Republican idiocy.[/quote]
I don't believe the Royals actually exist. I keep hearing about them, but I've never seen one with my own eyes. Like the yeti or chupacabra they are nothing more than a persistent myth.

FUCK! Fucking Dodgers! Lead off triple in the 9th and the fucking Dodgers can't score him to tie the game, even with the 3 4 5 guys coming up! FUCK! Same old problems; can't score our runners, and our starters can't go deep into games. We should have crushed the Padres! Splitting with them is a disaster.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1750212' date='Apr 8 2009, 23.00']What's the matter? Randy Johnson got you down?[/quote]
I have a feeling this will be another long season for me in this thread.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1751002' date='Apr 9 2009, 15.54']FUCK! Fucking Dodgers! Lead off triple in the 9th and the fucking Dodgers can't score him to tie the game, even with the 3 4 5 guys coming up! FUCK![/quote]
But it should be fun. :thumbsup:

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1751320' date='Apr 9 2009, 23.20']I have a feeling this will be another long season for me in this thread.
But it should be fun. :thumbsup:[/quote]

I think you have great reasons for optimism. Your team is the sort that Bochy managed to wrest playoff berths out of on a regular basis when he was in San Diego. He's a manager who needs a bullpen on which he can rely, and I think the pieces are there for the Giants.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1752065' date='Apr 10 2009, 23.18']Say it with me people: Kevin Gregg is awful.[/quote]
That loss was Soriano's fault. Not that difficult a play that he butchered to allow a run in and the winning run on second. A competent left fielder makes that play. I think Soriano is one of those guys, up there with LenDale White, whose value in fantasy baseball is on a utterly different tier than his actual value to a real team.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1752075' date='Apr 10 2009, 23.36']That loss was Soriano's fault. Not that difficult a play that he butchered to allow a run in and the winning run on second. A competent left fielder makes that play. I think Soriano is one of those guys, up there with LenDale White, whose value in fantasy baseball is on a utterly different tier than his actual value to a real team.[/quote]

Doesn't mean Gregg doesn't suck any less. The one move that made me shake my head this offseason was getting Gregg. He's not top tier. I'm not saying Kerry Wood was top tier either, but he didn't instill a total lack of confidence in his abilities either.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1752494' date='Apr 11 2009, 19.30']St. Louis explodes for 19 hits and beats Houston 11-2 in an Oswalt start. Wainwright has another decent outing. Pujuls hits a GS and a 3-run shot. Ankiel gets going with three hits. Rookie Rasmus goes 2-5. Looking down at the Cubs.

ETA: [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=290411124"]Watch the highlight.[/url]

The two balls that Pujols jacks were not home run pitches.[/quote]

Enjoy it for the day or two it'll last... :P

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1752075' date='Apr 10 2009, 23.36']That loss was Soriano's fault. Not that difficult a play that he butchered to allow a run in and the winning run on second. A competent left fielder makes that play. I think Soriano is one of those guys, up there with LenDale White, whose value in fantasy baseball is on a utterly different tier than his actual value to a real team.[/quote]

Come on. That ball was scorched. Thats a tough play for any left fielder, because they are all usually bad outfielders. Blaming a loss on the left fielder because he doesnt glove a hammered rope he had to go back on. How much beaseball do you watch? How often does that get caught? The ball was ripped, if it was 10 feet to the left he couldnt have even tried for it.

Soriano really fucked the game up today though. That ninth inning two run bomb looks a lot better on the fantasy box then when you are down one in the ninth in a road division game.

Archived