Coldhands

cerankoman

.... I'm not sure in what extent all the brothers of the Night's Watch are up to speed with secret passages below the wall, in a castle not used any more.

So maybe it's someone older, as in, back when all the castles were still manned.

Coldhands works for Bloodraven, so could simply have been told about the black gate by his boss. Given Bloodraven is a greenseer, it is easy to explain him finding out about it.

Ok well here's my theory:

Ben Stark goes into the woods

The Others kill him and he gets frostbite while he lies dead, explaining the hands (or maybe they turn him into a wight, again explaining the cold hands)

Either his body or his wight is found by the children of the forest (who I think are somehow connected to the three eyed crow)

The children resurrect him (or breath life back into his wight), either ways he's still looks like a wight

They teach him how to kill the Others (i.e. obsidian/dragonglass)

He hides the obsidian by the Fist of the First men to help the NW in their approaching fight with the wights (unable to show himself incase he's mistaken for a wight)

He then saves Sam and sends him to get Bran so Bran can meet the three eyed crow and learn to do something (I don't really know what, maybe to teach him to really master his abilities as a warg so he can become his replacement because he is dying or something, i don't know)

The three eyed crow is a warg who I think has been in contact with Ghost the whole time he was beyond the wall, I think when Ghost went 'hunting' he was really being led off by the three eyed crow to do his bidding

I also think the three eyed crow has been in contact with Mormonts raven quite frequently while beyond the Wall, also, like with Ghost, using him as a means with which to keep Jon Snow safe

I don't think the three eyed crow is a crow in the literal sense, he is an ex-brother of the Nights Watch who is a warg and is working with the children of the forest in some way

And to finish, could this have anything to do with the story Bran was told about that knight of the laughing tree who went to the Isle of Faces? And what connection do the Weirwoods have to the children of the forest? Because I think the weirwoods have a big part to play in this whole affair

I know that's a lot but that's what I think biggrin.gif

Any opinions?

Ice Wolf, know you posted this ages ago but I am reading it for the first time and liked your theories about Coldhands--it's now a big theory that he was in fact the Night King, but it could still work. Also, you had the gist when it came to the three eyed crow, now confirmed as Bloodraven.

As far as the visitor to the Isle of Faces, he was described as a crannogman. It is up in the air whether the Knight of the Laughing Tree was in fact Howland Reed, the crannogman. My personal opinion is that the mystery knight was Lyanna Stark herself--somewhere along the way I had the impression she was good with a lance.

Know this is an old thread and your thoughts may have been addressed a million times--I have read all of these books since Christmas, basically devoured them, and now can't get enough of forum theories. I just thought you had some very astute observations, since I have the benefit of having read more than you had at the time of your theory.

I just can't believe Bran would travel that far with his own uncle and not make a mental note of it.

I kinda think CH might be the guy from the story about the last hero standing against the others, just a feeling. It might help speed along explanations for the final battle.

I personally believe Coldhands is the Night King

Yes! :agree:

And, as much as I want to see Benjen again, I'm not sure we will. At any rate, though, in reading through a similar thread some months ago, I became convinced, as per many posts on that thread, that Coldhands is much too old to be Benjen. Evidently it is generally accepted by a number of posters that Coldhands goes all the way back to the Long Night. Given that the Night King did end up 'betraying' the NW and marrying a blue-eyed [wight] woman, it's my guess that is why he cannot pass beneath the Wall.

I'm rusty on my memory of all this and hope I'm not putting really incorrect info out there, but at any rate, that's what makes the most sense to me. :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

Referring to the last post, the Game of Thrones Companion app describes this person as "A ranger of the Night's Watch. He lived during the reign of King Dorren Stark. He wrote an account of a ranging from the Shadow Tower to Lorn Point on the Frozen Shore. During that ranging they fought giants and traded with the children of the forest."

Referring to the last post, the Game of Thrones Companion app describes this person as "A ranger of the Night's Watch. He lived during the reign of King Dorren Stark. He wrote an account of a ranging from the Shadow Tower to Lorn Point on the Frozen Shore. During that ranging they fought giants and traded with the children of the forest."

Cheers mate

Archived