Swine flu outbreak in Mexico

IheartTesla

It has already claimed 68 victims south of the border. None so far here in the US, although there are 8 reported cases all of whom have recovered. Linky:

A unique strain of swine flu is the suspected killer of dozens of people in Mexico, where authorities closed schools, museums, libraries and theaters in the capital on Friday to try to contain an outbreak that has spurred concerns of a global flu epidemic.

The worrisome new virus — which combines genetic material from pigs, birds and humans in a way researchers have not seen before — also sickened at least eight people in Texas and California, though there have been no deaths in the U.S.

"We are very, very concerned," World Health Organization spokesman Thomas Abraham said. "We have what appears to be a novel virus and it has spread from human to human ... It's all hands on deck at the moment."

Fingers crossed that the epidemic is halted, but there is a lot of traffic particularly in Mexico city. There is also no vaccine for swine-related virus.

It's been going on for a while now but people only really give a shit about it when it affects people in the US. A bit like nobody is that bothered about the few hundred people that have been killed by H5N1 - because it happened in SE Asia. Same old, same old.

It's been going on for a while now but people only really give a shit about it when it affects people in the US. A bit like nobody is that bothered about the few hundred people that have been killed by H5N1 - because it happened in SE Asia. Same old, same old.

Eh...bullshit. Bird Flu got plenty of play over here. Articles claim the Mexican authorities just got the details on the new Flu thursday, started shutting public shit down Friday, and by Friday we had a thread, frontpage news stories on Yahoo, and reporting on most of the major networks. Its hardly being ignored. But yeah, god forbid people be just SLIGHTLY more interested in an outbreak if its in their own backyard. I think that's an accusation you can levy against every nation and community in the world.

I might actually get a flu shot for the first time with this one. This one sounds really bad and it might have already shown up in NYC, I heard.

Ok, no cow, no birds, no pig... I'm left with fish to eat only?!

If you want a nice pork substitute, you could try human flesh. I hear it tastes just like pork. And, unfortunately, fish can give you mercury poisoning.

Okay, *eating* the animals will not give you influenza. Those who have contracted H5N1 did so via close contact with live or recently deceased, infected poultry. If you don't play with chickens, the human-to-human transmission risk is very low.

That being said, we'll see how this unfolds - my dad (in public health) is apparently having a rather busy day.

I might actually get a flu shot for the first time with this one. This one sounds really bad and it might have already shown up in NYC, I heard.

Huh. I might do the same, I almost never get them. Do we have a vaccine that's good against this one?

The general flu shot usually protects against only certain strains of the flu. Is there a vaccine for this one yet, since it is knew and never before seen?

There seems to be a link between the fatalities and not having flu shots. So it's too early to tell, but there is a belief that the flu shot might help fight off the fatal aspects. The fact it has been fatal to people in the 25-45 year old range makes sense because young people and old people tend to get their flu shots every year.

This flu is not *entirely* new or never before seen. It's a novel animal strain of H1N1 - the same influenza type that was responsible for the pandemic of 1918-19. The anti-virals that we have will actually work against it. I can't speak for the vaccine, but it's possible there'd be some cross-coverage to cover it from current vaccines. We don't really know how different this one is yet... :\

Huh. I might do the same, I almost never get them. Do we have a vaccine that's good against this one?

There is no vaccine for this particular strain yet. However, since this is a combo of 2 pig viruses, one bird virus and one human virus ........... most people are likely to have been exposed to the human strain and have developed partial immunity. Again, there are currently no vaccine, but the infected could be treated with Tamiflu and Relenza to decrease severity of symptoms. The best precautions right now would be to isolate the sick and closing down schools and sporting venues. As with all flu, the following preventive measures are recommended:

1) Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.

2) Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also effective.

3) Try to avoid close contact with sick people.

4) If you get sick, stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.

5) Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way.

There seems to be a link between the fatalities and not having flu shots. So it's too early to tell, but there is a belief that the flu shot might help fight off the fatal aspects. The fact it has been fatal to people in the 25-45 year old range makes sense because young people and old people tend to get their flu shots every year.

I'm not clear that it's *only* been fatal to people in the 25-45 year old range. Rather, it's simply unusual that they are being affected to that extent at all. "Normal" influenza doesn't do that.

Archived