An honest assessment of WOT?

Jon Fossaway

I think it comes down to alternatives. What would you read instead? Also, at some point don't you want to see for yourself why people feel so hot over the WoT for yourself?

Like many others here, I really liked the early books of WoT, the characters seemed interesting and parts of the story were interesting. Then, the plot went out of control and Jordan died, so we will never know how he would have ended the series (major fear with GRRM).

In defense of WoT, much of the Aes Sedai concept was interesting -- the different colors, training and ranks and the prohibition on direct lies etc. There are so many characters that you have to like some. I liked Moiraine, Nynaeve, Siuan, Lan and Mat. Many readers liked the Aiel, to the point that Jordan sort of spoofed readers by having non-Aiel characters in his books act like Aiel (just as readers were acting like Aiel!)

The power and draw of WoT is clear to anyone who plays online computer games. The names of his characters are often used and entire guilds were based on notions of Aiel, warders, Aes Sedai, Seanchan.

If you like Tolkien, then I bet you will like Brooks. I found Brooks to be very fun, but very closely patterned on Tolkien's work.

I really liked Salvatore's early books about Drizzt Do'Urden a Drow. The Drow society was a great idea and fun to read. But after a while, the series became more of the same. But if you have not read the first few books, Drizzt is a phenomenal character.

Have you read any of The Black Company? Croaker remains one of my favorite fantasy characters and his romance is sweet. The series is extremely uneven in quality though and not completely satisfying.

Good luck finding a new read.

If Sanderson kills off Valan Luca in the finale, the book will automatically get an extra star in my review :)

:lol:

I didn't want to post, but like most boarders here I thought WOT was the best series I ever read until ASOIAF. For me, it was Lord of Chaos is where I felt the series started the big drop off in quality. I don't think I have read past Crown of Swords. It has been so long since I read WOT that the majority of the details escape me, and yet I do want to see how the series end. Like Jacen said, the re-read project will be daunting, especially I have yet to read the worst books in the series!

I wonder how many people picked up A Game of Thrones based on the front cover blurb by Jordan? I know I was one them.

If you like Tolkien, then I bet you will like Brooks. I found Brooks to be very fun, but very closely patterned on Tolkien's work.

Paraphrase: "If you like the best english steak cooked by a best french chef, with a goat's cheese dressing and a glass of vintage wine, I bet you'll like eating raw cow offal." Closer analogy: the remains of that steak, vomited into the mud, scraped up and served on a plate. The vomit is indeed closely derivative of the steak, but the taste, texture and presentation are altogether different.

And don't even get me started on the "bonding" between Rand and his three women, which is a stupid vehicle for teenage boy titillation. It's not even mentioned obliquely like Dany's handmaid scene, but harped on and on and on about, to maximise exposure (and also maximise irritation to anyone who doesn't like pointless titillation for male readers).

What titillation?

If Sanderson kills off Valan Luca in the finale, the book will automatically get an extra star in my review :)

Finale? My hope is for him to bite it in the prologue. "Where's Matt?" "I don't .... arrgggghhhh!!!!"

:mellow:

I wonder how many people picked up A Game of Thrones based on the front cover blurb by Jordan? I know I was one them.

I was also one of those people. But, to be fair, the only reason I picked up WoT was because it had that "Jordan has come to dominate the world that Tolkien began to reveal" quote on the cover. It didn't take much to convince me to start a series, back in those days.

Brooks reads more like The Hobbit and less like Lord of the Rings. He's probably a good gateway drug for kids to get into fantasy, and he's harmless enough, but he's probably not what you're looking for.

What titillation?

Oh don't you know? Apparently, Jordan cannot possibly have any reason for giving Rand three girl-friends except that this has been his greatest fantasy, and is, of course, the fantasy of all the stupid boys who read and enjoy his work.

That even Min is scarcely anybody's idea of a dream bombo is not an issue. Some people can read the sub(squared? cubed?)-textual evidence: WoT is all about awesome foursomes between Rand, Min, Elayne and Aviendha. Despite the fact that they've all been in the same room for about ten minutes. But Aiel are known for their speed anyway! :rolleyes:

Brooks reads more like The Hobbit and less like Lord of the Rings. He's probably a good gateway drug for kids to get into fantasy, and he's harmless enough, but he's probably not what you're looking for.

Interestingly enough I don't remember much of Shannara (I read the Scions first, because for some reason they were translated BEFORE Sword/Elfstones/Wishsong) and the thing I DO remember is that it gave me nightmares. There was this one scene when they were going through this lethal jungle or something and it scared me shitless for some reason. Probably wouldn't bother me NOW, but back then it was really scary.

What titillation?

I don't think there's much titillation in the foursome situation, but elsewhere there's definitely some issues going on. By Book 11 it feels like half the Aes Sedai (plus one Cairhienin and one Sea Folk Windfinder) have gotten into girl-girl action at some point, including some pretty major characters (like Moiraine, Siuan and Elaida).

Curiously, male homosexual or bisexual characters are notable by their total absence from the series (despite theories that Demandred was totally gay for Lews Therin ;) ).

I don't think there's much titillation in the foursome situation, but elsewhere there's definitely some issues going on. By Book 11 it feels like half the Aes Sedai (plus one Cairhienin and one Sea Folk Windfinder) have gotten into girl-girl action at some point, including some pretty major characters (like Moiraine, Siuan and Elaida).

Curiously, male homosexual or bisexual characters are notable by their total absence from the series (despite theories that Demandred was totally gay for Lews Therin ;) ).

There is, IIRC one brief mention of this in one of the Seanchan chapters. But yeah, not much there and one of the things that bug me a lot.

There is, IIRC one brief mention of this in one of the Seanchan chapters. But yeah, not much there and one of the things that bug me a lot.

There's also a very oblique reference in New Spring, when Moiraine mentions men who aren't interested in women. But apart from that, yeah there really isn't any exploration of male homosexuality in the series.

Same with the Aiel polyandry. It is mentioned in passing, but that's it.

There's also a very oblique reference in New Spring, when Moiraine mentions men who aren't interested in women. But apart from that, yeah there really isn't any exploration of male homosexuality in the series.

Same with the Aiel polyandry. It is mentioned in passing, but that's it.

To be fair to Jordan, he's obviously not the only one to cater to this particular double-standard (looking at you GRRM) we get graphic lesbian sex-scenes and the only male-male relationship we have is only really hinted at.

Oh don't you know? Apparently, Jordan cannot possibly have any reason for giving Rand three girl-friends except that this has been his greatest fantasy, and is, of course, the fantasy of all the stupid boys who read and enjoy his work.

Jordan can give a reason ;) At some point in life RJ dated two women. Apparantly they knew of each other and arranged dates together. So Jordan thought, why can't the main character have three? :P

If any of you think he is going for titilation in these books try reading his historical fiction. I read Fallon Blood and it had a lot more gratuitous sex, maybe he is really, really holding back in not including it in WoT.

well, if Sanderson's own books are anything to go by, gratuitous and/or graphic sex will be nothing to worry about in the WOT finale ;)

I used to amuse myself by thinking about what Martin would do with A Memory of Light. It would mostly involve gratuitous and/or graphic sex.

I always figured at least some level of lesbianism was present in Aes Sedai, just because of the whole "Only women" thing.

Apparently "pillow friends" amongst Aes Sedai had a somewhat sexual connotation to it, but was considered normal.

The whole 'pillow friends' thing would have worked better if it hadn't come out of nowhere in Book 9. I don't think it was mentioned even once in any book prior to that at all.

On a related note the New Spring comic is being remounted this month with the final three issues being released before Tor release the graphic novel version at the end of the year. Looks like the Dabels won that battle with Red Eagle then.

Archived