Football nº 10

The Inquisitor

So...

Real Madrid - Barcelona in 24 hours.

Barça arrives with +4 points of difference. Winner of the encounter shall probably be the champion of La Liga with 4 matches left to go.

The moment of truth in the championship has arrived.

... and of course, I shall be there at the Bernabeu. ;)

Critical match for both teams as you say. Barca should play for a win but must at any case not lose. Pre-occupation with the Chelsea match might lead to exactly that though, plus Madrid has home advantage and has also enjoyed fine form.

I suspect though that Barca will not be tricked tomorrow.

I don't much care who wins, but I'm certainly rooting for a match with a lot of running. Tiring Barca a bit might be useful next week.

Hmm, they've gone with blue. That's a clever move.

I hear blue is the colour ;) (I don't actually subscribe to this view and comepletely disassociate myself from any connection to all football teams who wear blue).

Critical match for both teams as you say. Barca should play for a win but must at any case not lose. Pre-occupation with the Chelsea match might lead to exactly that though, plus Madrid has home advantage and has also enjoyed fine form.

I suspect though that Barca will not be tricked tomorrow.

I meant to keep my anti-soccer trolling to one frivolous comment, but I couldn't let this pass. Is anyone else disturbed by a sport where there might actually be an active incentive not to play to win? Shouldn't 'playing to win' pretty much be a given in any worthwhile sport?

Also, while most sports have elements of 'run out the clock' once ahead, that shit usually doesn't come into play til really late in the game. It is not uncommon in soccer however to score a goal and then play keep-away for the next 45 minutes. How is that interesting?

If there's a consensus on not turning this into a soccer/anti-soccer debate, I will make this my last comment. Don't want to hijack if everyone would much rather discuss the actual match itself.

Also, while most sports have elements of 'run out the clock' once ahead, that shit usually doesn't come into play til really late in the game. It is not uncommon in soccer however to score a goal and then play keep-away for the next 45 minutes. How is that interesting?

In the US don't you have baseball which as far as I can tell is a sport fueled by steriods, American Football were they stop for a break every three seconds and basketball were it appears only the last two minutes of the game matter?.

I actually don't mind baseball and American football :dunno:

If there's a consensus on not turning this into a soccer/anti-soccer debate, I will make this my last comment.

Bingo. Do you really think that we haven't heard it all before? If it bothers you then open a thread about it and who knows, maybe we'll all convert to the glorified rounders with all those fun drug cheats. Yay for baseball!

Bingo. Do you really think that we haven't heard it all before? If it bothers you then open a thread about it and who knows, maybe we'll all convert to the glorified rounders with all those fun drug cheats. Yay for baseball!

I concur. I think it's a waste of time to try to convince people to enjoy the beautiful game. I they don't appreciate it, it's their loss. /me hums champions league theme :cheers:

Juicers are more entertaining than floppers.

And that's my last contribution to the thread.

Well I would say, without wanting to be derogatory to Americans, how interesting really, are the 4 big typically American sports?

Basketball: I find this the most watchable of the 4. Played it in the gym in highschool so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with it. I'll take footie, tennis or cycling over it any day though. Can't watch an entire match on tv no matter who is playing. It's nice if you're really, really big I suppose.

Ice hockey: Pretty cool. If I were to do a sport in the US and it was one of the 4 it would be this one. But I really don't care for the consistent violence I see. The whole sport seems like an excuse to legally beat each other up. Yes it's hard, yes it's tough and yes it's played in some European countries on the same high level. But it's not really exciting, big heavily padded guys skating on ice, occasionally punching the other guy's teeth in with a small referee thrown in for good measure for a semblance of law. How much fun is that tiny goal anyway, not to mention you can't actually see the puck going into the net except in slow replay?

Baseball: Very static sport. Boring to watch, boring to do.

American football: I never cared much for rugby, and American football is rugby without the cool elements. Again, heavily padded guys with big helmets, even bigger shoulder pads, taking a time out every other throw. I can't help but think the sometimes monstrous looking European rugby players would run straight through the American football chaps, even if they were allowed to retain their armour.

Yes, basketball has elements where the clock runs out. So what, how does that make it more exciting? I suppose you could say why can there be draws in football, when in some American sports you can't? Maybe that's a fair point, but the fact is that with football teams are sometimes so well matched that the dynamics of the game simply don't allow for a winner. That's why we have the much disliked penalty shoot out in knock-out matches, because after 120 minutes of playing each other, the teams are still evenly matched. Football isn't perfect, and it certainly isn't always exciting.

I know, so much of it depends on where you've grown up. Where I a born American I might be sitting here talking about the virtues of baseball ( which surely is just as mindnumbing to watch as crickett?). I guess I'll take solace from the fact that unlike any of the Big 4 American sports, football is truly the World Sport, most practiced and most beloved sport across the world. It's been a success in every country it's been introduced, except of course in .......

Would it be the lack of padding that turns Americans off? Has the Helmet lobby been succesful in crippling the sport's evolution in the US? Or is it the fact that you actually play 45 minutes non-stop at a high pace that scares them?

Oooooohhh. Poor Loras. Sorry, mate.

Cali, every sport has its charm. EHK posted what he did here because (though I enjoy his posts quite a bit) its his nature to try and rile people up. Don't worry about it.

How many games remain in the Premiership seasons? Man Utd. are six points clear of Liverpool with an equal number of matches played; can we just "crown their asses," as Denny Green would say?

Archived