Westeros Total War Beta v0.53

Werthead

Every time the mod looks like it's gone the way of the dodo, someone else sees how great it could be and picks up the mantle :)

The mod has now been updated so you don't have to mess around with the core files any more. However, it does now require the use of the Kingdoms expansion as well.

Download and installation information can be found here.

Thanks for posting this Werthead.

I'm the current team leader of the project and will hopefully be able to work towards completing this great mod. We've assembled a new team and are picking up on development.

As always, ideas and suggestions are welcome. I'll primarily post in our forum over at twcenter.net but will be regularly checking these forums as well.

Thanks for your interest and support!

• 3 weeks later...

I have installed the Kingdoms expansion and it works fine on my computer. However, when I tried to run the batch file in the mods/Westeros folder to try the new mod, it gives an "Medieval Total War has encountered an unexpected error...." and I cant load the mod at all. I do catch a tantalizing glimpse of a guy with a helmet and a sword (I think).

I patched Kingdoms to 1.5 and am running Vista, if that helps. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I have installed the Kingdoms expansion and it works fine on my computer. However, when I tried to run the batch file in the mods/Westeros folder to try the new mod, it gives an "Medieval Total War has encountered an unexpected error...." and I cant load the mod at all. I do catch a tantalizing glimpse of a guy with a helmet and a sword (I think).

I patched Kingdoms to 1.5 and am running Vista, if that helps. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Was this 0.55, the new version just uploaded? 0.55 is a test release that is quite fundamental in how much it takes out of the game, and is slightly more unstable than the previous versions. There's some work going on at the moment tracking down any crashes and problems.

Are you running the mod on Steam or a standard install? Do you have any other mods installed? Have you previously installed any other versions of the mod?

If it's a clean (previously unmodded, but it shouldn't matter if you have previous folder mods installed) install with Kingdoms and Medieval II updated to 1.5, you shouldn't be having problems. That might mean it's a Vista, hardware or driver issue :(

Its 0.53 actually (that was the latest version posted on the link in the first post). Its a standard install with no other mods ....and with Kingdoms patched to the 1.5 version.

I might just try to do a clean install of Kingdoms all over again and see if that works.

I think this should work. Thanks for doing this :)

Also, another bit of information...I just tried to run Medieval Total War II (the original disk) and it gives the same error - "M:TW2 has encountered an unexpected error...". It looks like I have to reintall everything from scratch all over again.

Weird thing is that all the kingdoms campaigns work fine though.

Exactly where do you get patch 1.5? Im on totalwar.com and none of the patches for kings is labeled. They are labeled as US version, UK version etc but no numbers. Any help in hooking me up for a link to the proper 1.5 patch would be appreciated.

Those are the latest patches. Some list it as 1.05 but that is still the latest version. Just download from one of the links that corresponds to the country you purchased the game.

Yes, I would definitely try to reinstall M2TW and Kingdoms from scratch. Then reinstall the Westeros mod. Let me know how you make out.

Just wanted to mention that the Westeros mod now works. I played a couple of turns as House Stark last night, and there didnt seem to be any problems with it. The campaign map looks very nice indeed.

Just wanted to mention that the Westeros mod now works. I played a couple of turns as House Stark last night, and there didnt seem to be any problems with it. The campaign map looks very nice indeed.

Good to hear. Feel free to post any suggestions for future versions.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a problem that could really use your help. I downloaded everything (version .53) it worked fine and I even took over almost half the map with the martells. But after I turned my computer off and tried to play it again it will only open the batch file for a second then close it and not open up the game. help is appreciated!

• 2 months later...

I started playing yesterday and I have to say I'm loving it. Naturally I started playing as Stannis, went straight for King's Landing and had Tommen try to break the siege and meet me on the battlefield, to his demise. I then took the city, crowned myself king and began my conquest. So far I've taken over all of the King's Landing area as well as the Stormlands. The victory requirements are to take out all the other kings, is it not? Well this sucks cuz now I have to take over the entire north as well as the Iron Isles. Oh, and one quibble I have, why have every single one of Stannis's generals disloyal? I think I have one Estermont lord who is loyal to me, the rest are struggling to stay loyal. Stannis had some questionable loyalty from the Stormlords but those from Dragonstone were loyal enough.

I started playing yesterday and I have to say I'm loving it. Naturally I started playing as Stannis, went straight for King's Landing and had Tommen try to break the siege and meet me on the battlefield, to his demise. I then took the city, crowned myself king and began my conquest. So far I've taken over all of the King's Landing area as well as the Stormlands. The victory requirements are to take out all the other kings, is it not? Well this sucks cuz now I have to take over the entire north as well as the Iron Isles. Oh, and one quibble I have, why have every single one of Stannis's generals disloyal? I think I have one Estermont lord who is loyal to me, the rest are struggling to stay loyal. Stannis had some questionable loyalty from the Stormlords but those from Dragonstone were loyal enough.

I think the loyalty settings for Stannis are supposed to be dubious, to reflect the enthusiasm with which he was turned on by his loyal bannermen after defeat on the Blackwater. I don't recall what the precise setting was in the old beta, but I think you only needed to defeat the other kings claiming kingship and take over x number of provinces. You could then make peace with the others if you so wished. Stannis definitely doesn't need to take over the North to win.

The mod is still in development but due to a lack of skinners things are going s-l-o-w at the moment. It should pick up again next month.

Success! I've played twice and won both times, as Stannis and as the Starks. Stannis was tougher because I had more places to take over, as both Robb and Euron both claimed kingship and I had to take them both out, which meant that I had to take over everything except for Dorne. Playing as the Starks, the goddamn Arryns attacked me, which forced me to send Roose over there to straighten them out. I was making a push into the Westerlands, only to find that the Tyrells already had the Lannisters' demise well in hand. Joffrey was fun to take out. I sent Bran down to King's Landing, had him take out Joff while he was afield, and besieged Tommen in King's Landing, only to have him ride out and meet me on the field (does he do this all the time?). It was a tough battle, but eventually I had him beat and the rest of the army folded shortly thereafter. Victorious, I sacked King's Landing, crowned myself King, and since the Tyrells took finished off the Lannisters and I had Roose take over the Eryie, I had the added victory conditions. I was going to continue my conquest by taking out the Tyrells, who had already attacked me to no avail, but I figured I'd just try another faction. Perhaps the Tullys this time.

Oh, and one minor quibble, in the future you might want to edit the faction descriptions as there are a few punctuation errors, most notably the frequent misuse of apostrophes. FYI.

Best game in the Beta v.53 I had ended up with Jaime Lannister as King of the Iron Throne by age 40, seduced into the House Joffrey (Crownlands) faction by way of his very own daughter. A few choice "Send them off to die horrible deaths" later and he was king.

I haven't given it a proper spin in quite some time though as I'm waiting for the overhaul.

Archived