Guy Gavriel Kay

Werthead

1 hour ago, Cithrin's Ale said:

The new novel sounds very similar to Children of Earth and Sky in terms of setting and themes, which is disappointing to me. I'm certain I'll enjoy the novel, but I would've liked Kay to explore new ground.

Have to say I have the same feeling. I'm not very excited by this synopsis. 

On top of that, his last couple of books have not been as good as his earlier work. I'm not sure I'd say he's lost it as he is clearly still a superb wordsmith but his plots have become less interesting. His first couple of works are still the best regarded ones as well if you look at ratings on forums etc. I do hope it will be better than the last few.

Edited by Calibandar

2 hours ago, Wik said:

I've read Lions and Light....what are some other of his popular ones? I need something to read!

I am surprised as I THOUGHT one of his other novels already covered Italian Renaissance (obviously just one of them I had not yet read). Fairly excited to hear of this new one. 

Tigana is Renaissance Italy inspired, but much more fantastical than his historical fantasies have generally been. I'm guessing this is in the same milieu as the previous novel. Excited as that's when it comes to GGK. With the timing, I hope there's a chance he'll do some touring next year.

"Key Selling Points" from Edelweiss catalog:

FOLLOWS THE ACCLAIMED CHILDREN OF EARTH AND SKY, inspired by Renaissance Europe

STANDALONE NOVEL that takes place in a similar locale to Children of Earth and Sky but is a generation removed

A PREEMINENT NAME IN HISTORICAL FANTASY: River of Stars and Under Heaven received rave reviews from The Washington Post, The Huffington Post, The Globe and Mail (UK), Publishers Weekly, and Library Journal

HUGE BESTSELLER IN CANADA: Children of Earth and Sky was a #1 bestseller in Canada, and Guy Kay was recently named to the Order of Canada, the country’s highest civilian honor

AWARD-WINNING AUTHOR: Winner of the International Goliardos Prize for his fantasy writing and a World Fantasy Award winner for Ysabel

FIONAVAR TAPESTRY SERIES OPTIONED FOR TV by the people behind Orphan Black, which will raise the author’s profile

BASED ON EXTENSIVE REAL-WORLD RESEARCH: His novels appeal to fans of historical fiction (like fans of Bernard Cornwell and Edward Rutherfurd) as well as fantasy (like fans of David Mitchell and Lev Grossman)

NATIONAL BESTSELLING AUTHOR: Children of Earth and Sky was a #1 Locus Bestseller for August 2016

6 hours ago, Wik said:

I've read Lions and Light....what are some other of his popular ones? I need something to read!

I am surprised as I THOUGHT one of his other novels already covered Italian Renaissance (obviously just one of them I had not yet read). Fairly excited to hear of this new one. 

Tigana, The Sarantine Mosaic duology (Sailing to Sarantium and Lord of Emperors) A Song for Arbonne, River of Stars, Under Heaven, Children of Earth and Sky, The Fionavar Tapestry.

I was hoping for a new setting(still loved that of Children of Earth and Sky and its callbacks to Sarantium), but still excited for another GGK book.

Edited by Astromech

9 hours ago, Wik said:

It was Tigana, the one that really made his career, after the Fionavar Tapestry, which was too much both Narnia and LOTR, + his own kinks right up front.

My humble opinion is that Tigana (1990), though providing yet another large window into the author's personal kink, and appropriating a whole bunch out of the very famous academic work of European folklore, The Night Battles: Witchcraft & Agrarian Cults in the Sixteenth & Seventeenth Centuries (1966) by Carlo Ginzburg, is still his best novel.  Kay always starts with somebody else's work to construct his fictions.v  Which is one reason his 'languages' are so clumsy.

Edited by Zorral

On 8/26/2018 at 1:31 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Heh, I hate Tigana. Where is @Datepalm when we need her?

I think calling Tigana fascist (even fascist-lite) is over-egging the pudding. It's more a case of being asked to sympathise with terrorists. 

Honestly, if Tigana were better edited, lost a third of its length, and dropped the torturing element, it'd actually be fun, rather than frustrating.

It has been accused of presenting some fascist ideas, but I think that's wrong. I love the novel, myself, and think it's a feature, not a bug, that the protagonists do some very unpleasant things in the course of attempting to achieve their goals, goals which are on the one hand extremely understandable (Brandin's magical damnatio memoriae of Tigana itself is horrific in a society where every province has its strong national character and pride) and on the other hand has a  decided ambiguity (after all, after freeing Tigana's name, the goal is... to re-establish the traditional Tiganan aristocratic ruler instead of the foreign aristrocratic ruler, which to the hoi polloi probably doesn't actually make that much day-to-day difference otherwise).

The comments on the review are much more edifying than the review itself, I have to say, but I've never been a fan of using memes in critiques, and this isn't even a critique as such, just outright mockery of something she feels beneath her time to critique.

Two other reviews touching on whether the text is in some fashion supportive of fascism can be found at this English-language Polish review site. Ola G. here and piotrek's response here. I find these quite thoughtful and interesting.

It is true that Tigana _is_ melodramatic and full of pathos, and that Kay takes what he's writing quite seriously in the novel. It's clear that the themes he was exploring moved him and had some special resonance for him.

Edited by Ran

2 hours ago, Ran said:

The comments on the review are much more edifying than the review itself, I have to say, but I've never been a fan of using memes in critiques, and this isn't even a critique as such, just outright mockery of something she feels beneath her time to critique.

Two other reviews touching on whether the text is in some fashion supportive of fascism can be found at this English-language Polish review site. Ola G. here and piotrek's response here. I find these quite thoughtful and interesting.

It is true that Tigana _is_ melodramatic and full of pathos, and that Kay takes what he's writing quite seriously in the novel. It's clear that the themes he was exploring moved him and had some special resonance for him.

I've read Tigana twice and it moved me twice. 

2 hours ago, Ran said:

I've heard good things about the novel but haven't got around to reading it yet.

It seems that one's attitude towards nationalism has a large bearing on whether one likes the novel.

Personally? it has always felt to me that Tigana's political conditions, despite the magical trappings, was more modeled on Poland's 1980's Solidarity Movement and its final success in breaking away from the Soviet Union in 1989 (Tigana was published in 1990).

The long history of Poland literally being disappeared from the globe and history from the 18th century until it very short reappearance prior to WWII, maps well upon Tigana: the names are disappeared, even the language is disappeared.  People are not able to speak it, hear it or even sing lullabyes.  All this happened to Poland after the partition among Prussia, Russia and Austria, until the final bits were gobbled up entirely.  The Soviets were no less welcoming of Polish culture and especially the Roman Church to which most Poles adhered before and after (Russia was Orthodox, and the Soviet was supposedly entirely non religious, seeing religion as a nexus for subversion and rebellion, which indeed it was).

That so-called review? That's incredible self-conscious fanfic writer bs.  That's not criticism or even a review.

There are authentic criticisms to be made of Tigana and his other books too, some much more so than others -- especially his truly awful use of pretend language.  That wasn't it though.

Edited by Zorral