Guy Gavriel Kay

Werthead

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

A Brightness Long Ago...

...is it weird that I love so many things about this book, but I'm not finding myself drawn in in such a manner that it is taking me more time to finish than I expected...?

No. I feel the same way about many GGK books. They are works of art. Beautiful and moving. Amazing character studies. But not tightly written plots that make you keep wanting to turn the page. It scratches a different itch. 

The previous GGK thread ending is a bit of an end of an era, it has somehow managed to persist without being locked for over a decade.

17 hours ago, unJon said:

No. I feel the same way about many GGK books. They are works of art. Beautiful and moving. Amazing character studies. But not tightly written plots that make you keep wanting to turn the page. It scratches a different itch. 

I think he's definitely been moving away from traditional epic fantasy plot structures in his recent books, having started off with the very traditional Fionavar Tapestry. I do still tend to find them compelling even if the storyline can sometimes meander a bit.

ETA - obviously I spoke too soon with my first comment, the thread has risen again.

Edited by williamjm

• 4 months later...

I've been reading his books as available through the library as eBooks. I really enjoyed Under Heaven, Children of Earth and Sky, A Brightness Long Ago but somehow Lord of Emperors (second Crispin book) hasn't grabbed me. I'm finding myself skipping ahead to the end of chapters to see what's happening with the plot more than I have with his other books. 

Footage of GGK plotting his books: 

It's funny to think of him working in the famously chaste world of Tolkien. Probably some Noldor slash fiction out there from his days in that gig. 

1 minute ago, Vaughn said:

I've been reading his books as available through the library as eBooks. I really enjoyed Under Heaven, Children of Earth and Sky, A Brightness Long Ago but somehow Lord of Emperors (second Crispin book) hasn't grabbed me. 

Can't speak to why it's not grabbing you, but there's a point where everything comes together into a very taut, very decisive series of events that are really just top-notch. 

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

Can't speak to why it's not grabbing you, but there's a point where everything comes together into a very taut, very decisive series of events that are really just top-notch. 

I think Lord of Emperors was one of my favourite Kay books, the first book also had some great moments but took a while to get going.

I think it might just be that in the other books, there have been fewer main characters so the narrative was a bit tighter. It's certainly a good book, just easier to put down for me vs. the others. 

It is remarkable how he's written four excellent books in the last 10 years, not even all in the same fictional worlds. 

On 4/21/2020 at 1:08 AM, Vaughn said:

I think it might just be that in the other books, there have been fewer main characters so the narrative was a bit tighter. It's certainly a good book, just easier to put down for me vs. the others. 

It is remarkable how he's written four excellent books in the last 10 years, not even all in the same fictional worlds. 

All four of his last novels are set in the same world. The last one that wasn't was Ysabel in 2007.

I know there's some oddness with the moons in Under Heaven which made some people think they're different worlds, but otherwise they're the same planet with references to the same countries.

On 4/23/2020 at 12:59 PM, Werthead said:

I know there's some oddness with the moons in Under Heaven which made some people think they're different worlds, but otherwise they're the same planet with references to the same countries.

Think you're misremembering. Under Heaven and River of Stars are a world with only one moon. They're their own thing. He may refer to western land with names very similar to those revealed in previous novels, but that's just his "Europe by another name" approach to things.

The settings Kay has written:

The Fionavar Tapestry and Ysabel share a universe.

Tigana and A Song for Arbonne are each standalones in unique settings, although they are the start of the trope of worlds with two moons instead of one. These novels contain Fionavar grace note references.

The Lions of Al-Rassan, The Sarantine Mosaic, The Last Light of the Sun, Children of Earth and Sky, A Brightness Long Ago are one setting, featuring Jaddites, Asharites, and Kindath, and a blue and white moon. Some of these, but I think not all of them, contain Fionavar grace notes (though Lions has the most explicit by far of these, I think, and it's something he begins to drift away from as time goes by).

Under Heaven and River of Stars are a setting with a single moon, and presumably are uniquely different from the Fionavar universe since the level of magic and lack of direct dieties meddling in things and all that doesn't fit Fionavar. Also only the thinnest of Fionavar  grace notes, the poet from UH dreaming about being in a place with a second moon.

Edited by Ran

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Think you're misremembering. Under Heaven and River of Stars are a world with only one moon. They're their own thing. He may refer to western land with names very similar to those revealed in previous novels, but that's just his "Europe by another name" approach to things.

Several of the earlier books also refer to Kitai or Khitai (by that name) and the same intervening lands, so it appears that they are the same world. Perhaps different timelines/reflections of the same world (one with two moons, one with one), but the same basic planet.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Several of the earlier books also refer to Kitai or Khitai (by that name) and the same intervening lands, so it appears that they are the same world. Perhaps different timelines/reflections of the same world (one with two moons, one with one), but the same basic planet.

I can't find any prior book reference Kitai or Khitai.

ETA: This interview also seems to have Kay being explicit that it's not the same world. Even if there's some similarity in names (which I'm not sure is the case), it's just a different world/universe. But they're all just shadows of the prime world, Fionavar, so ... can look at it that way.

Edited by Ran