Guy Gavriel Kay

Werthead

On 6/4/2020 at 1:07 AM, Gigei said:

I've seen the same ending in many GGK books though, so I was expecting it.

Reveal hidden contents

Though I was sad to see the fall of Constantinople, I mean Sarantium.

I'm interested to see where he goes next.

Spoiler

A third book in this milieu might be a bit much, but seeing Sarantium thrive under its new rulers would be interesting and subvert the "oh, the city has fallen, it's the end of days," thing.

After the visions of a version of the Napoleonic Wars in this world, I'd be interested if he leapt forward all the way to the not-19th Century and dealt with a much more advanced kind of world. As much as I like GGK, he certainly has a standard approach to his books which can threaten to get repetitive.

5 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Why did the Sarantine Mosaic have to be two books?

Just finished Sailing to Sarantium last night and it built and built, truly the first 150 or so pages seemed like they didn't go anywhere, but by the end, I wasn't ready for it to end...

I'm glad I wasn't reading them as they came out because it did feel more like one long novel and works best when read together.

3 hours ago, williamjm said:

I'm glad I wasn't reading them as they came out because it did feel more like one long novel and works best when read together.

I knew it was going to be that way...but noooooo...I only purchased the first one at this time so I could get other things too...I'm an idiot...

11 hours ago, Werthead said:

I'm interested to see where he goes next.

Hide contents

A third book in this milieu might be a bit much, but seeing Sarantium thrive under its new rulers would be interesting and subvert the "oh, the city has fallen, it's the end of days," thing.

After the visions of a version of the Napoleonic Wars in this world, I'd be interested if he leapt forward all the way to the not-19th Century and dealt with a much more advanced kind of world. As much as I like GGK, he certainly has a standard approach to his books which can threaten to get repetitive.

The Fall of Constantinople/Sarantium in GGK's world seems to have been much swifter than in ours.  In Children of Earth and Sky, the Empress was described as having the East at her feet, as a young woman, and Sarantium was still a city of a million people.  At the time of the Fall, Trakesia/Greece was still described as under imperial rule.

• 5 months later...

Over on Twitter, Kay revealed he was nearly done with drafting the next novel, with a delivery of the draft to the publisher in early 2021. "A long way" from being published yet, he notes, but still, late 2021 seems doable, or early 2022 depending.

He has given absolutely no hints at all about what the latest book entails. Very excited to read it.

On 7/17/2020 at 10:57 AM, SeanF said:

The Fall of Constantinople/Sarantium in GGK's world seems to have been much swifter than in ours.  In Children of Earth and Sky, the Empress was described as having the East at her feet, as a young woman, and Sarantium was still a city of a million people.  At the time of the Fall, Trakesia/Greece was still described as under imperial rule.

History is much more compressed in general in Kay's novels from my basic knowledge. Justinian is immediately succeeded by a Leo 3 analogue, who was nearly 200 years later in real life, and the end of the Reconquista over in 'Spain' took about ten-fifteen years rather than several hundred.

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

History is much more compressed in general in Kay's novels from my basic knowledge. Justinian is immediately succeeded by a Leo 3 analogue, who was nearly 200 years later in real life, and the end of the Reconquista over in 'Spain' took about ten-fifteen years rather than several hundred.

Those are good points.  My impression was that Sarantium was under pressure from the Asharites in her youth, but still a great power.  It’s like going from 1150 to 1453 in a single lifetime.

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

Those are good points.  My impression was that Sarantium was under pressure from the Asharites in her youth, but still a great power.  It’s like going from 1150 to 1453 in a single lifetime.

Maybe Sarantium never had an Alexios I, and things kept disintegrating?

Edited by The Marquis de Leech

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, unJon said:

Very cool. Wonder if it’s about the discovery of the New World? Or of the sea trade with the East? Hmmm. 

ETA: GGK does Shogun could be schweet:cool4: 

I'm thinking either of those are possible, just off the title. The first Western ships to reach the equivalent of China, thereby bringing together his interests and research for Under Heaven and River of Stars together, would work well.

But... could be something else entirely, perhaps more focused on Seressa.

I really need to catch up on my Kay.  Not sure if I'm 2 or 3 books behind.  I'm looking at two of them in hardcover on my bookshelf, unread, right now.

That said, would be interested in an alternate history where either Kitai or the European-equivalents attempt to colonize the Americas-equivalent, but they find a continent of 100 million people resisting them, due to the natives having magical vaccines to all the alien diseases the would-be conquerers bring.

Edited by SpaceChampion

I have three or four Kay books I've scored for a quarter at thrift stores but haven't ever gotten around to reading them.

Separately, 27 pages?  This thread is an abomination.  I feel dirty and corrupted even posting on the 21st page of a thread.  This feels transgressive and I kind of like it.

eta: egaaaads!!? 28! 

Edited by larrytheimp