Werthead

Guy Gavriel Kay

Finished Last Light of the Sun, which for reasons, I thought was about sometbing else initally, even though it was talked about here...I thought it was wonderful in many ways. Close to, but not quite on par with Lions.

Also finished Children of Earth and Sky, and I liked it, but it also felt a little disjointed in the tales it was telling...

10 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Finished Last Light of the Sun, which for reasons, I thought was about sometbing else initally, even though it was talked about here...I thought it was wonderful in many ways. Close to, but not quite on par with Lions.

Also finished Children of Earth and Sky, and I liked it, but it also felt a little disjointed in the tales it was telling...

As much as I like Kay's work, it's hard to discuss. I can't remember which events go with which title. Excluding Lions and the latest/freshest (most fresh?) Brightness.

On 8/21/2019 at 12:50 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

That's the one I need to re-read. Been ages.

On 8/21/2019 at 12:50 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Yeah, that's the structural issue I noted earlier. It's lovely, but dropping a thread for a couple hundred pages only to come back to it and wrap it up in like 30 felt a bit off. I'm not sure what Kay was thinking, exactly, but I'm sure he had an intention that I haven't apprehended.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Yeah, that's the structural issue I noted earlier. It's lovely, but dropping a thread for a couple hundred pages only to come back to it and wrap it up in like 30 felt a bit off. I'm not sure what Kay was thinking, exactly, but I'm sure he had an intention that I haven't apprehended.

Maybe if there'd been an intended sequel(s), it might have worked better...? 

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

So, is under heaven set in the same world as any of his other works? I thought it was but a character just mentioned there is only one moon.

I haven't read River of Stars, but it's obviously set in the same world as Under Heaven (a one moon place, rather than the two-moon one).

Edited by The Marquis de Leech

16 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

So, is under heaven set in the same world as any of his other works? I thought it was but a character just mentioned there is only one moon.

Aside from the sequel it's not set in the same world as his other books. It would have been easy to make it about the "Chinese" part of the Al-Rassan/Sarantium/etc. world but Kay seemed to decide against that.

Ah yes, for some reason I thought it was, then someone mentioned it would be neat to have two moons and pretty much winked at the camera.

Also, I have come to accept that every character in every Kay book is just horny, all the time.

On 10/22/2019 at 3:49 AM, Darth Richard II said:

Ah yes, for some reason I thought it was, then someone mentioned it would be neat to have two moons and pretty much winked at the camera.

Also, I have come to accept that every character in every Kay book is just horny, all the time.

Every woman in the Sarantine Mosaic seemed desperate for sex with Crispinus.

On 10/24/2019 at 10:00 AM, SeanF said:

Every woman in the Sarantine Mosaic seemed desperate for sex with Crispinus.

There's a Kvothe joke in there somewhere.

A Brightness Long Ago...

...is it weird that I love so many things about this book, but I'm not finding myself drawn in in such a manner that it is taking me more time to finish than I expected...?

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

A Brightness Long Ago...

...is it weird that I love so many things about this book, but I'm not finding myself drawn in in such a manner that it is taking me more time to finish than I expected...?

No. I feel the same way about many GGK books. They are works of art. Beautiful and moving. Amazing character studies. But not tightly written plots that make you keep wanting to turn the page. It scratches a different itch. 

The previous GGK thread ending is a bit of an end of an era, it has somehow managed to persist without being locked for over a decade.

17 hours ago, unJon said:

No. I feel the same way about many GGK books. They are works of art. Beautiful and moving. Amazing character studies. But not tightly written plots that make you keep wanting to turn the page. It scratches a different itch. 

I think he's definitely been moving away from traditional epic fantasy plot structures in his recent books, having started off with the very traditional Fionavar Tapestry. I do still tend to find them compelling even if the storyline can sometimes meander a bit.

ETA - obviously I spoke too soon with my first comment, the thread has risen again.

Edited by williamjm

I seriously thought the original thread was locked...that's why I started a new one...finding it merged to the old...wow.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I seriously thought the original thread was locked...that's why I started a new one...finding it merged to the old...wow.

Ran loves him some GGK. 

The argument that this thread is rather historic moved me. And yes, I do love GGK inordinately. ;)

Usually in a GGK novel between moving scenes there is a sex interlude.    :leer:   Can't start a new thread until there is one.

Edited by SpaceChampion