Jump to content
Werthead

Guy Gavriel Kay

Recommended Posts

Finished Last Light of the Sun, which for reasons, I thought was about sometbing else initally, even though it was talked about here...I thought it was wonderful in many ways. Close to, but not quite on par with Lions.

Also finished Children of Earth and Sky, and I liked it, but it also felt a little disjointed in the tales it was telling...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Finished Last Light of the Sun, which for reasons, I thought was about sometbing else initally, even though it was talked about here...I thought it was wonderful in many ways. Close to, but not quite on par with Lions.

Also finished Children of Earth and Sky, and I liked it, but it also felt a little disjointed in the tales it was telling...

As much as I like Kay's work, it's hard to discuss. I can't remember which events go with which title. Excluding Lions and the latest/freshest (most fresh?) Brightness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 12:50 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Finished Last Light of the Sun, which for reasons, I thought was about sometbing else initally, even though it was talked about here...I thought it was wonderful in many ways. Close to, but not quite on par with Lions.

That's the one I need to re-read. Been ages.

On 8/21/2019 at 12:50 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Also finished Children of Earth and Sky, and I liked it, but it also felt a little disjointed in the tales it was telling...

Yeah, that's the structural issue I noted earlier. It's lovely, but dropping a thread for a couple hundred pages only to come back to it and wrap it up in like 30 felt a bit off. I'm not sure what Kay was thinking, exactly, but I'm sure he had an intention that I haven't apprehended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ran said:

 

Yeah, that's the structural issue I noted earlier. It's lovely, but dropping a thread for a couple hundred pages only to come back to it and wrap it up in like 30 felt a bit off. I'm not sure what Kay was thinking, exactly, but I'm sure he had an intention that I haven't apprehended.

Maybe if there'd been an intended sequel(s), it might have worked better...? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

So, is under heaven set in the same world as any of his other works? I thought it was but a character just mentioned there is only one moon.

I haven't read River of Stars, but it's obviously set in the same world as Under Heaven (a one moon place, rather than the two-moon one).

Edited by The Marquis de Leech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

So, is under heaven set in the same world as any of his other works? I thought it was but a character just mentioned there is only one moon.

Aside from the sequel it's not set in the same world as his other books. It would have been easy to make it about the "Chinese" part of the Al-Rassan/Sarantium/etc. world but Kay seemed to decide against that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah yes, for some reason I thought it was, then someone mentioned it would be neat to have two moons and pretty much winked at the camera.

Also, I have come to accept that every character in every Kay book is just horny, all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2019 at 3:49 AM, Darth Richard II said:

Ah yes, for some reason I thought it was, then someone mentioned it would be neat to have two moons and pretty much winked at the camera.

Also, I have come to accept that every character in every Kay book is just horny, all the time.

Every woman in the Sarantine Mosaic seemed desperate for sex with Crispinus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 10:00 AM, SeanF said:

Every woman in the Sarantine Mosaic seemed desperate for sex with Crispinus.

There's a Kvothe joke in there somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Brightness Long Ago...

...is it weird that I love so many things about this book, but I'm not finding myself drawn in in such a manner that it is taking me more time to finish than I expected...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

A Brightness Long Ago...

...is it weird that I love so many things about this book, but I'm not finding myself drawn in in such a manner that it is taking me more time to finish than I expected...?

No. I feel the same way about many GGK books. They are works of art. Beautiful and moving. Amazing character studies. But not tightly written plots that make you keep wanting to turn the page. It scratches a different itch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The previous GGK thread ending is a bit of an end of an era, it has somehow managed to persist without being locked for over a decade.

17 hours ago, unJon said:

No. I feel the same way about many GGK books. They are works of art. Beautiful and moving. Amazing character studies. But not tightly written plots that make you keep wanting to turn the page. It scratches a different itch. 

I think he's definitely been moving away from traditional epic fantasy plot structures in his recent books, having started off with the very traditional Fionavar Tapestry. I do still tend to find them compelling even if the storyline can sometimes meander a bit.

ETA - obviously I spoke too soon with my first comment, the thread has risen again.

Edited by williamjm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seriously thought the original thread was locked...that's why I started a new one...finding it merged to the old...wow.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I seriously thought the original thread was locked...that's why I started a new one...finding it merged to the old...wow.

 

Ran loves him some GGK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The argument that this thread is rather historic moved me. And yes, I do love GGK inordinately. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually in a GGK novel between moving scenes there is a sex interlude.    :leer:   Can't start a new thread until there is one.

Edited by SpaceChampion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×