Series title: A Game of Thrones?

Ok, to be honest I don't know whether this has come up before, but does anyone know if the title a Game of Thrones (or Thrones as I read in some threads) is definitive?

Like everyone here I am a huge fan of the books, but the titles always made me cringe a bit. They never give a real idea of what the story is about and are more catered to fantasy fans than to mainstream readers (IMHO). Moreover, a Game of Thrones could just as well apply to book 3 as it did to book 1 and equally valid arguments can be found for the opposite.

Setting my initial dislike for the titles aside, isn't there a continuity aspect to consider? What if the second season gets picked up, we can't go calling that A Game of Thrones as well can we? And won't viewers be confused when they're looking for season 2 in their manuals and are unable to find A Game of Thrones, cause now its called A Clash of Kings? It probable is a stupid question, but isn't it logical to name the show A Song of Ice&Fire?

Or is this already the case and I have been sleeping

All the trades have been referring to it as "Game of Thrones" so I assume that is the official series title. A Song of Ice and Fire is too long and not representative of the show's content. Game of Thrones is short and to the point. Plus it gets across what the show is about. Makes sense to me.

Moreover, a Game of Thrones could just as well apply to book 3 as it did to book 1 and equally valid arguments can be found for the opposite.

In GRRM's very, very early ideas for the book series, the first 3 books were all encompased into one book, aGoT. So all works out really (at least for the first 3 seasons for the TV series). :P

Like everyone here I am a huge fan of the books, but the titles always made me cringe a bit. They never give a real idea of what the story is about and are more catered to fantasy fans than to mainstream readers (IMHO).

"When you play the game of thrones, you either win, or you die." Cersie said to Ned..

bad title??? are you kidding me...... :bs:

IF all goes well and the show continues....i'm sure the producers can handle that bridge crossing when they get there......

Have a little faith in their ability to make any transitions smoothly from season to season(hopefully)

"A Song of Ice & Fire" is a good name for the books, works for fantasy fans but for the show I think "A Game of Thrones" is a far superior name. It works better for a general audience - it's both evocative and it describes very well what the show is about.

I much prefer 'A song of ice and fire'. It sounds better to me, though thats just my opinion.

Also, 'game of thrones' could refer to a historical drama, and i think you need to illustrate that this show is fantasy. Some people might get confused and think its 13th century Britain.

Just by being fantasy, it's a victim of the skiffy ghetto. Extra niching is hardly what we need.

ASoIaF might be a pretty name by itself, but it brings to mind the substanceless and cliche trash that a lot of the rest of the world thinks equals fantasy. Fantasy fans -- the audience that you, Ser, seem to want to target -- are already hooked, or at least know about ASoIaF, and do not require further clarification. It's the people who don't usually consume fantasy media -- people who may have negative stereotypes about fantasy -- that would really be great to hook.

As for confusing Westeros with 13th-century Britain... heh. Well, two things to say to that: first, that's the disadvantage of using "British" accents for all the fantasy stuff; and second, O tempora, o mores! that education be in such a state ;)

I'm sure that there will be mention made somewhere in the titles that the series is based on A Song of Ice and Fire, by George R R Martin.

When discussing the title of the world book, GRRM said that it would be very easy to give it an insanely long title (The World of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire) that wouldn't fit on the spine, and he pushed hard for it to be just The World of Ice and Fire.

Going by that, I think it's unlikely that his name or the book series title will appear in the actual name of the series. It's more likely to be A Game of Thrones followed by 'Based on the novel A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin' (maybe followed by 'Based on ACoK' for Season 2 or 'ASoS' for Season 3) or maybe 'Based on A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin'. Or something along those lines. Who knows?

They won't change the overall title every year though. Heroes keeps its volume titles distinct from the series name and Babylon 5's season titles only appeared on the DVDs and in reference materials at the time, never as the actual series title.

The title question I have is whether it's going to be A Game of Thrones or just Game of Thrones, as the latter has been appearing a lot in trade reports and press releases.

Just by being fantasy, it's a victim of the skiffy ghetto. Extra niching is hardly what we need.

ASoIaF might be a pretty name by itself, but it brings to mind the substanceless and cliche trash that a lot of the rest of the world thinks equals fantasy. Fantasy fans -- the audience that you, Ser, seem to want to target -- are already hooked, or at least know about ASoIaF, and do not require further clarification. It's the people who don't usually consume fantasy media -- people who may have negative stereotypes about fantasy -- that would really be great to hook.

As for confusing Westeros with 13th-century Britain... heh. Well, two things to say to that: first, that's the disadvantage of using "British" accents for all the fantasy stuff; and second, O tempora, o mores! that education be in such a state ;)

Good point. Still dont like 'game of thrones' though.

Yeah, i'm thinking of your average american teenager there tbh :P

I like the idea of going with A Game of Thrones, as long as it's A Game of Thrones. 'Game of Thrones' seems a bit, I don't know...flat, or something. It just doesn't flow as well. Whereas 'A Game of Thrones,' or even 'The Game of Thrones' sounds like a title, 'Game of Thrones,' sounds like a thing to me, if that makes sense.

In either case, I do think it's a better option than calling the series A Song of Ice and Fire, for reasons previously mentioned, but also because I'm just not a huge fan of that title in general. I've always though 'A Game of Thrones' was the best title GRRM has come up with for the series, followed by 'A Feast for Crows'.

well, I guess that's 13 vs. 2 or something :unsure: It is obvious this is not a sentiment shared on this board or perhaps even by a wider public.

It is just that when I look at GRRM in book stores I always see the same fantasy titles next to these great books called Swords of Winter or what have you. They all look and sound the same and IMHO a bit cheesy. I myself am just not that into reading fantasy and it took some convincing from a friend to try these books some 10-odd years back. To me they looked and sounded the same as any other. It is only that when you started reading it that you realize that they are amazingly well written.

I guess there are not that many people who share the view, but I somehow found the reference to 'A Song' more beautiful, more tragic. Like the Odyssee (written in rhyme, a story flowing like a song). What's one of the other books called again... A Song for Lya?!? I always loved that concept. A title like that almost makes me believe the writer is in the room with me, telling the story as it unfolds. I guess A Song of Ice & Fire could come across more as being fantasy..

A Game of Thrones... ah well, I guess it's time for me to go with the flow.

I'd be happy with either A Game of Thrones or A Song of Ice and Fire as titles, really. What I didn't want them to do was to dump both, and come up with something completely different for the series, as that would indicate to me that they didn't intend to stick that closely to the plotline or character depictions either.

Game of Thrones is indeed the official series title, from what GRRM told me.

So the "A" is definitely dropped than? I assumed so since the trades were referring to it as Game of Thrones, but then the Northern Ireland press release had it as A Game of Thrones so I wasn't sure which one was the official title. If Martin says it is the former, than that is a good enough confirmation for me. :)

I don't think "A game of thrones" is a bad name for the entire series really. Ultimately, it is a story of the throne of Westeros, and how a handfull of powerful families are "playing" for control of it.

Ultimately it's true. When you play the game of thrones, you either win or die. By the end of the series, I doubt there will be too many living players left... Especially as it's based somewhat on the War of the Roses, a conflict that saw potential pretenders to the throne being killed off right up until the Stewarts took the throne.

No takers for George RR Martin's Super-Wacky Murderrific Fun Time Party Hour?

That's the transliteration of the Japanese title of the series.

Oh, well, I can't say definitively that it's not A Game of Thrones, I suppose, but at least the usage I've seen from him suggests they've dropped the "a", yes.

Archived