Director and Dinkalage Confirmed

I'm sure the cost is under control. While Dinklage was the runaway popular choice, it's not like he's Jim Carrey or Denzel Washington. His only lead roles were in Indie flicks.

I guess I won't really worry about money for other things suffering until I see the finished product and the sets, costumes, swordfights and f/x look like crap. And, if that's the case, I hope it doesn't get picked up anyway.

Awesome news. A truly gifted actor with the range to play what it perhaps the most complex and fascinating character in the series, and certainly a personal favourite.

I assume Dinklage will be under a fair bit of make-up as Tyrion is hardly supposed to be a looker.

I assume Dinklage will be under a fair bit of make-up as Tyrion is hardly supposed to be a looker.

I doubt that's much of an issue. He is not respected because he is a dwarf. The uglyness isn't as relevant. He probably will have to wear a wig/dye his hair though, in order to be a proper Lannister.

I would like to be the first here to also praise the choice of Thomas McCarthy as director. The Station Agent and The Visitor were both great movies and very "actor-based" which is what I would like for the series. I think he'll do a great job.

As for Dinklage, he's the obvious choice, I don't know why there was concern that he'd be too expensive, Tyrion is bound to be the greatest acting role for a little person ever. If the series lives up to its potential, he'll be sure to get Golden Globe and Emmy nominations.

Awesome!

Just a side note: I didn't really like his accent in Prince Caspian. Hopefully it's different in this series. Not that it would put me off the show if it was the same or anything. But it would help to distance the character from the 'other' dwarf character.

Funny thing about Peter Dinklage... his mother was my elementary school music teacher.

I didn't realize until I saw him in The Station Agent(which he was amazing in and was shot close to my home in good ol' Jersey).

Can someone NOT photoshop Peter Dinklage's picture? Thanks.

Also - I watched the Visitor and the Station Agent recently. This is a solid, HBO pilot shaping up here, folks. I'm cautiously excited.

I know he was the favourite choice here but I admit I am not familiar with the guy's acting at all. I can't recall where I would have seen him, at least. Good news, anyway.

My question is: can he do a convincing UK-sounding accent? :)

My question is: can he do a convincing UK-sounding accent? :)

Maybe a silly question here... but why does he need to do a British accent? Other than the obvious parallels with knights and the feudal system, Westeros is hardly Merry Old England.

If I'm not mistaken, I saw him in a great episode of 30 Rock alongside Tina Fey one time. But I could be mistaken.

Whichever accent they choose, I just hope it's as consistant as possible.

The last thing we want is a Cersei with a southern drawl alongside a Jaime with an Irish accent.

ETA: I think the point is that the majority of actors will most likely be from the UK, as the pilot is being filmed in Northern Ireland. As such, the most common accent will be one from the UK, and therefore, to make things consistant, non-UK based actors will hopefully go with a similar accent so as to make things consistant.

Maybe a silly question here... but why does he need to do a British accent? Other than the obvious parallels with knights and the feudal system, Westeros is hardly Merry Old England.

As a British person, when I imagine the voices of ASOIAF characters in my head, they often sound American. The speech patterns are subtly American. But there is also a self-conscious "ye olde Englande" kind of phrasing, probably to give it a mediaeval atmosphere. I think they could use either UK or US accents and justify it.

Archived