Director and Dinkalage Confirmed

I'm lovin Dinklage in this scene. Though its a comedy, he displays a lot of authority and shows some real rage, wich will be great for a complex character as Tyrion.

And his voice is sure to send chills down my spine in his more dramatic moments in the series. Unlike many little people its deep and rich. Yeah, this was pretty convincing.

I just saw that scene. He's awesome. He's perfect. I was worried about his being funny, because in the one movie I saw him (Living in Oblivion. He played an angry dwarf actor), he was good dramatically but had only one funny line ("I DON'T HAVE DWARVES IN MY DREAMS, AND I AM A DWARF!"), but he was great in that clip.

I'm pretty hopeful.

The first time I saw Dinklage was a couple of years ago in some episodes of Nip/Tuck. I was totally hipnotized by his charisma, he has a very strong screen presence and I haven't forgotten him since.

I only started reading ASOIAF last year, needless to say that Dinklage was my one and only Tyrion.

Me happy!!!! :cheers:

I'd say the most important characters in the pilot are Tyrion, Ned and Catelyn. Possibly Jaime too. We've already got our Tyrion, so I'd expect the others to be next on the list to be announced.

Wow. I totally didn't realize that this is the same actor/director Thomas McCarthy that played Scott Templeton (the fabricating hack reporter) on season 5 of The Wire. HBO really loves to keep it all in-house, don't they?

He's quite a good actor, too. Maybe he'll have a small recurring role. God knows there will be plenty to go around.

Hello All--

We're happy that you guys are happy! Tom brings to the project not only great vision and expertise, but a tremendous respect for the material; he was our first choice, and we're very lucky to have him. And of course, Peter was our dream Tyrion. Sometimes, when you wish upon a red comet, dreams really do come true.

The rest of the casting decisions are less clear cut, and will no doubt inspire more debate. But please keep it all coming: agreements, disagreements... and most of all, your suggestions. We really do appreciate and listen to them.

[Do keep in mind that, with the exception of Peter, all other roles will most likely be UK-based, which means they will probably have to belong to British Actors' Equity (for guild-related reasons).]

That's all for now. More news to follow.

D&D

Darn, there goes my bit part as Third Dothraki from the Left, Row Two. ;)

Thanks for dropping by. This'll likely lead to a new round of casting discussion as people zero in on U.K. actors. (Charles Dance for Tywin! Or more saliently, Roy Dotrice for Grand Maester Pycelle!)

Hm. I wonder what the rules are like for actors from non-British Commonwealth nations?

And if it's anything like the US/Canadian versions of Equity and SAG, bit players aren't required to be part of the union. So hold out hope, Ran!

Great work so far David and Dein. I'm sure things are going to be very busy for the next 6 months, so good luck with all the planning. :)

[Do keep in mind that, with the exception of Peter, all other roles will most likely be UK-based, which means they will probably have to belong to British Actors' Equity (for guild-related reasons).

Interesting. I wonder how that works for Irish based actors. I know there is an Irish Equity branch but no idea about their relationship with British Equity. (OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if some Irish actors were a member of both. They seem to drift between the 2 countries).

Given its in Northern Ireland, it is bound to attract people from both sides of the border. And such things are more encouraged these days. :)

Thanks for dropping by. This'll likely lead to a new round of casting discussion as people zero in on U.K. actors. (Charles Dance for Tywin! Or more saliently, Roy Dotrice for Grand Maester Pycelle!)

Alan Dale does a lot of UK TV such as Torchwood and does a couple of London plays a year, so he can still be Tywin or Randyll Tarly :)

I believe James Marsters has a UK Equity card as well, as he recently did several spots on Torchwood. And he can do an English accent as proven repeatedly over seven or eight years :) Not sure which ASoIaF character he'd be good for though.

James Callis for Littlefinger? That would be awesome.

David and Dan: Just wanna say thanks for updating/joining us here on the board. We are indeed very lucky! And congrats on getting Tom and Peter on board. If the rest of the people involved are half as perfect, it will be a great pilot indeed.

so now that we have our first confirmed official casting info, are we going to keep the very confusing "official" in the title of the casting threads? Perhaps a mod can replace the official with 'fan' or 'board' or append either 'fan' or 'board' to those threads. Or make separate parallel threads for, "the official HBO really, actually, truly cast in the show thread: Tyrion" for the real casting news?

Hello All--

We're happy that you guys are happy! Tom brings to the project not only great vision and expertise, but a tremendous respect for the material; he was our first choice, and we're very lucky to have him. And of course, Peter was our dream Tyrion. Sometimes, when you wish upon a red comet, dreams really do come true.

The rest of the casting decisions are less clear cut, and will no doubt inspire more debate. But please keep it all coming: agreements, disagreements... and most of all, your suggestions. We really do appreciate and listen to them.

[Do keep in mind that, with the exception of Peter, all other roles will most likely be UK-based, which means they will probably have to belong to British Actors' Equity (for guild-related reasons).]

That's all for now. More news to follow.

D&D

This settles it. British accents.

Ill start the rally right friging now... Ian McKellen for Maester Aemon!!!

OK, I have some suggestions for UK actors in the pilot:

Bradley James: A possible Jaime

Picture

Luke Pasqualino: Theon, Jon Snow, Viserys

IMDB

Hannah Murray: Dany

IMDB

Henry Garrett: Viserys, Theon, Jory other...

IMDB

Rafi Gavron: Jon Snow, Theon, Viserys

IMDB

Rupert Grint: Robb

IMDB

James Callis: Benjen, viserys, other...

IMDB

Alfie Allen: Jamie

IMDB

Joey Ansah: Drogo

IMDB

There appears to be no shortage.

CASSIE as Dany?! That is an interesting choice. I would think of her more as a Sansa myself.

:) Just seeing how easy it was to come up with experienced actors in the UK around the younger age group. Some of these would work, some not. I was impressed watching Skins with the talent they came up with for such a young group of characters. I suggest D&D look into whatever casting agency/director they used for that series. To me, the hardest ones to find actors for are Ned and Catelyn. Anyways, i'm looking forward to their picks and I suspect some of them have already been made.

Hannah Murray: Dany

IMDB

CASSIE as Dany?! That is an interesting choice. I would think of her more as a Sansa myself.

Well, she's 20 years-old this year. I'm not familiar with her, never seen her work, or what she looks like now (are those pictures on IMDb recent), but she's likely too old to play Sansa. Dany makes more sense if ony fr thta reason.

Archived