Director and Dinkalage Confirmed

What does having a British Equity card actually mean? Does anyone who films in the UK for a UK-based tv company, or who is involved in a play in the West End, need one? Or would non-UK nationals who work over here at times be fine with whatever the equivalent from their own country is?

I'm just thinking that there are quite a lot of American and Australians in particular who do a lot of work in the UK. Are they likely to be in the running, or not?

Doesn't it mean EU based actors?

I believe the Schengen agreement makes it possibel for al EU members to participate their profession in all EU states.

Which would mean the possiblity for French, Spanish, Italian, German and Dutch actors among others. I would love to see Rutger Hauwer as Tywin Lannister, with those pearcing blue eyes, in his younger years he would hav e made a good Jaime.

00137.jpg

and now it he would be great for Tywin

snct19b.jpg

First, David and Dan, congratulations for McCarthy and Dinklage, amazing to have them on board.

As for U.K. actor suggestions (although neither character is in the pilot, so just keep them in mind for the future:):

IMHO, Charles Dance would be the perfect Tywin. He has a sharp, hard edge, and a tremendous, sometimes a little scary presence. And golden eyes.

Charles Dance

Picture

For Littlefinger, James Callis would be great, but I recommend John Simm.

John Simm

Picture

I prefer him for the role mainly because he has a boyish, sympathetic charm, and most recognize him from his nice-guy role in Life on Mars (UK) - and it is really important to keep Littlefinger ambiguous till the last moment. We have to believe that he is helping Ned, that he is a good guy afterall. And with Callis being mainly known as Gaius Baltar (as much as I admire him, and I'd really love to see him in some other main role), lulling the suspicion would maybe be harder. (Of course, it is possible that I overestimate the number and magnitude of BSG-fans.:))

Not really for the pilot, but Alan Dale as Tywin would be a great call.

In the short term, and no doubt D&D are thinking this way already, the casting of Ned should prove instrumental in getting the series green-lit.

SPOILER: AGOT

Since the actor will only be needed for series one, or most of it, it could be possible to tie down a higher profile actor to boost the show's profile, without him needing to commit to the show for several years.

OK, I have some suggestions for UK actors in the pilot:

Bradley James: A possible Jaime

Picture

Hannah Murray: Dany

IMDB

Bradley James (Arthur from the current BBC series Merlin) is 25, so on the young side for Jaime, and on the old side for Robb or Jon, though if they simply decide not to mention character ages, it could work. I was impressed with him in Merlin, where he overcame some often dodgy writing to deliver an interesting performance that overcame the cliches of the character. However, a sizeable problem is that I believe they shoot Merlin in the spring of each year, so assuming it comes back for a third season (Season 1 got excellent ratings and the producers claim to have a five-season plan for the show) its shooting schedule would likely clash with that of AGoT's first season, although he'd in theory be available for the pilot (pending any other commitments).

Hannah Murray as Dany is a very good call, actually.

Rupert Penry Jones for Jaime?

I'm still holding out a tiny bit of hope for Gillian Anderson as Catelyn. She lives and works in the UK, so she must be a member of Equity, surely? She's done Bleak House for the BBC, and is currently rehearsing The Doll's House at the Donmar Warehouse, so I'm guessing so.

There are a ton of great actors and actresses over here in the UK. I'm pretty sure the cast will be great.

For Littlefinger, James Callis would be great, but I recommend John Simm.

John Simm

Picture

I prefer him for the role mainly because he has a boyish, sympathetic charm, and most recognize him from his nice-guy role in Life on Mars (UK) - and it is really important to keep Littlefinger ambiguous till the last moment. We have to believe that he is helping Ned, that he is a good guy afterall. And with Callis being mainly known as Gaius Baltar (as much as I admire him, and I'd really love to see him in some other main role), lulling the suspicion would maybe be harder. (Of course, it is possible that I overestimate the number and magnitude of BSG-fans.:))

I recommended Simm for role of Littlefinger in casting section.

It seems that he has all the tools, and charms you would expect from someone who would be asked to play what is one of key roles in the series.

He is a great actor, and of a right age too...

It seems that he has all the tools, and charms you would expect from someone who would be asked to play what is one of key roles in the series.

Heh, having only seen him in his Master role in Doctor Who, I was mostly struck by his lack of chin...

Agreed on John Simm being a great actor, but haven't you both missed a major issue in suggesting him as Littlefinger?

Petyr Baelish is perhaps the shortest adult male in the series who isn't technically a dwarf - his famous nickname is even derived from it. Whereas John Simm is at the most a few inches off six foot, in fact I've considered him from time to time as a potential Jaime Lannister (incidently opposite Keeley Hawes as Cersai).

Actually when I think of potential Littlefingers I keep getting drawn back to Peter Jackson's LoTR films and three out of the four hobbits (sorry to Sean Astin, his Sam Gamgee was perfect but he is too bulky for Baelish). The idea of Ellijah 'Mister. Frodo' Wood playing Littlefinger has amused me long since people were saying Viggo Mortensen should be Eddard and all's fair I think he'd do a good job though I've always found his english accent a little 'Harry Potteresque' (aside wouldn't it be great to cast Daniel Radcliffe as one of the total scumbag characters like say the bastard of Bolton?).

That leaves my personal favourites of either Domenic Monaghan and Billy Boyd, both of whom have always a slight edge to their characters. Dom Monaghan as 'Charlie' was arguably one of the best things in 'Lost' a very multi-factuacated personality with a definite dark side. Billy Boyd has been a bit quieter since LoTR but done a fair bit of TV and theatre work. Both are now about thirty.

Finally another outside possibility from LoTR though he may be little old for the part now is Andy Serkis...

stuff about height

I know there's a website (probably more than one) that lists "celebrity heights". I don't know how extensive its/their coverage is, but perhaps that could be a useful tool in filtering suggestions, at least for more well-known actors.

Agreed on John Simm being a great actor, but haven't you both missed a major issue in suggesting him as Littlefinger?

Petyr Baelish is perhaps the shortest adult male in the series who isn't technically a dwarf - his famous nickname is even derived from it. Whereas John Simm is at the most a few inches off six foot, in fact I've considered him from time to time as a potential Jaime Lannister (incidently opposite Keeley Hawes as Cersai).

John Simm is too small to be Jaime Lannister, but he could be a reasonable Littlefinger. Yeah, Petyr is smaller than Simm but not by a huge amount.

Then again, I've always thought of Simm being quite short and small because recently he's shared a lot of scenes with Philip Glenister, who is quite a big guy, and looks small in comparison.

How about Glenister for a role? A fifty-something knight or lord? Must be a few candidates.

John Simm is too small to be Jaime Lannister, but he could be a reasonable Littlefinger. Yeah, Petyr is smaller than Simm but not by a huge amount.

The Internetz say Simm is five foot ten. The average height for present-day American men is five foot nine. If Simm is made of awesome, I'm sure they can mess about with camera angles or whatever like they did in LotR, but it'd be a real bother if they can get an equally talented actor of less height.

Then again, I've always thought of Simm being quite short and small because recently he's shared a lot of scenes with Philip Glenister, who is quite a big guy, and looks small in comparison.

Yeah, I'm often surprised by how tall actors actually are -- they look average-height onscreen next to all the other tall actors >.>

Then again, there's Tom Cruise, who's somewhere around Dinklage's height and is always paired with tall people, and it's still unnoticable. John Simm could work. I liked him enough.

Darn, there goes my bit part as Third Dothraki from the Left, Row Two. ;)

Thanks for dropping by. This'll likely lead to a new round of casting discussion as people zero in on U.K. actors. (Charles Dance for Tywin! Or more saliently, Roy Dotrice for Grand Maester Pycelle!)

Dance would be great. I have no part zero'd in on, mainly because I do not consider casting that much, but if Pete Postlewaite could be involved at all that would be awesome. Not that I expect or anything but he is one of my long-time favorite actors from the UK.

Perhaps he would be a good Maester Luwin.

Archived