Director and Dinkalage Confirmed

Yeah, I think acting ability, and basic looks in some cases, is more important than height. The only two characters in the series whose height is actually a factor in anything are, as Lord O'Bones said, Tyrion and Gregor. Possibly Brienne, as well, but we don't need to worry about her in the first season.

Looks in other senses are important for certain characters - for example, the actors playing Jaime and Cersei really need to look similar, as do the children playing Joffrey, Myrcella and Tommen. It would help if the kids playing Jon and Arya looked like the actor playing Ned, and the kids playing Robb, Sansa, Bran and Rickon looked like the actress playing Catelyn. Hopefully, makeup, wigs and coloured contacts can help to enhance all of that, though.

Dance would be great. I have no part zero'd in on, mainly because I do not consider casting that much, but if Pete Postlewaite could be involved at all that would be awesome. Not that I expect or anything but he is one of my long-time favorite actors from the UK.

Perhaps he would be a good Maester Luwin.

Pete is one of the few established actors I keep coming back to as being perfect for thsi series. He could play any of the older characters to perfection I'm sure, but I've always thought of him playing Barristan, or Jeor Mormont. I don't know how he rates in terms of A, B or C list actors, but even if he rates a big paycheck he'd come with the same advatages playing Jeor that people say a big name actor playing Ned would have. And he's got a long association with the BBC from playing in the Sharpe series. I'd be shocked if he isn't on somebody's list.

Also, I've always thought Tim Roth was born to play Littlefinger. He's basically already played Petyr Baelish before in Rob Roy anyway, so except for possibly being too old and too expensive now, I think he's a shoe in. Seriously, has anyone ever oozed tricksy smarm as much as Archibald Cunningham?

And, this isn't technically a casting thread so shame on us!

I could be completely wrong here, but I think possibly one of the advantages with having a predominantly British cast is that there is much more crossover with tv and movies and stage for actors here.

It's perfectly normal to see actors like Helen Mirren or Judi Dench or Sean Bean do a movie, followed by a tv series, followed by another movie, followed by a stage play in the West End, than I think it seems to be in the US, where actors tend to be predominantly either tv stars, or movie stars, or theatre actors. If I'm correct in that feeling, then it stands to reason that British actors are perhaps more used to being paid highly for one project, and accepting a much smaller fee for a different type of project. That means we might perhaps be more likely to see a few 'big name' British actors than we would be to see 'big name' American actors if the show was being filmed in the US.

I might be totally off-base here, though.

Somehow I don't think casting an actor as Littlefinger that doesn't match Littlefinger's exact height would be much of a problem.

Somehow I don't think anybody cares about casting an actor as LIttlefinger that does match Littlefinger's exact height. "Don't cast really tall people for a really short character" says nothing about exact height.

And, this isn't technically a casting thread so shame on us!

Eheheh, well, we're doing more discussion than actual casting?

I might be totally off-base here, though.

No, I believe your largely correct in your assumption. London, like – I’m assuming- New York has a rich stage centred tradition, mainly because the (film/ TV) industry isn’t as big there, as it is in LA.

British actors tend to do predominantly stage work, especially in their early careers, in an attempt to break into the industry. However, it seems to me that once they’ve started climbing the ladder it’s uncommon for them to commit to ongoing series (AGOT) and instead choose to focus on guest roles, mini-series and/ or (TV) movies along side theatre work.

[Do keep in mind that, with the exception of Peter, all other roles will most likely be UK-based, which means they will probably have to belong to British Actors' Equity (for guild-related reasons).]

Umm... yay?

Seriously, the best possible cast for ASOIAF would be a cast largely made up of quality actors that I don't immediately associate with other roles. Going for more UK-based casting offers way more opportunity to be genuinely surprised by performances and actors I'm unfamiliar with. Ultimately it gives the actors the ability to own the roles and really embody them.

Of course, I guess that's not really true if you're a UK viewer, but it's a real treat for the American fans, IMO.

For me, ideally - all actors would be talented unknowns so they sort of only belong to Game of thrones. That way, i would be less aware that i am watching actors. However, i do hope they get a rather big name for one of the parts as it could make it easier for HBO to pick the series up.

Sean bean for Ned might be the dream cast.

An idea I've been having: The actor for Joffrey should be the actor for Young Jaime, and the actor for Renly should be the actor for Young Robert. I think that would be awesome, if they use flashbacks.

Yay! Peter Dinklage is the best actor for the roll of Tyrion!

I saw The Station Agent and assume the director will be up to the job, my only concern is that he's only directed independant films (Station Agent and The Visitor) that are modern day- not fantasy. So, I think he'll be great directing the character driven scenes- but how will he be as a fantasy director.... It's a balance with AGOT because we have both realistic and fantasy happening.

So, I think he'll be great directing the character driven scenes- but how will he be as a fantasy director.... It's a balance with AGOT because we have both realistic and fantasy happening.

He is only directing the pilot for now. The initial chapters of aGoT focuses a lot more on characters than "fantasy", so there should be no problem there. :)

For me, ideally - all actors would be talented unknowns so they sort of only belong to Game of thrones. That way, i would be less aware that i am watching actors. However, i do hope they get a rather big name for one of the parts as it could make it easier for HBO to pick the series up.

I agree. I think it would be easier to believe with unknowns, so my mind wouldn't play tricks like: "Hey, what's Ned doing without an AK47?" or "Cersei looks awful since she's addicted to botox". I know we all think of some characters in our mind with famous faces, but:

a) Stars aren't cheap.

b) This will be a long (looooong) project, and it would be very difficult to persuade them to spend at least some months every year in North Ireland for a TV series.

c) It would be catastrophic if in the middle of the series a key character changes faces (aaaaaggg!!) because of a new and more interesting project for a Hollywood star. Multiply the number of star(lets)and this multiplies the chances!

d) Perhaps most of them wouldn't risk with such a project.

Despite all of this, I'm very glad with Tyrion's election; I think he's the best possible option!!

Two or three 'big names' (and they don't need to be A list - just recognisable, talented actors) would help to give the series a profile boost to start with, and then the rest of the actors could be unknowns. As we have Dinklage as Tyrion, bigger name actors for Catelyn and Ned would be ideal, as they're probably the three most important roles in season one. It'll then give the unknown actors time to grow into their roles by the time they become more important.

a) Stars aren't cheap.

b) This will be a long (looooong) project, and it would be very difficult to persuade them to spend at least some months every year in North Ireland for a TV series.

c) It would be catastrophic if in the middle of the series a key character changes faces (aaaaaggg!!) because of a new and more interesting project for a Hollywood star. Multiply the number of star(lets)and this multiplies the chances!

d) Perhaps most of them wouldn't risk with such a project.

Yup. Thats why i agree with the idea of getting a star for Ned, since he's a short lived character and also the main character for season one. It all just seems to fit.

Yup. Thats why i agree with the idea of getting a star for Ned, since he's a short lived character and also the main character for season one. It all just seems to fit.

Yes, Ned could be an exception. This could also apply to king Robert, and perhaps, over the seasons, some special-guest-starring characters with just a short cameo.

Archived