Voting against your interests: Why does it happen so often?

EHK for Darwin

First, you are assuming that all dictators are going to deprive their subjects of freedom. I'd say that is a fair enough assumption. Operating under that assumption, one can only conclude that those who live beneath a dictator are doing so willingly out of a condition of overwhelming cowardice. Suicide is never a viable option, it's a coward's last resort. Since they are obviously quite comfortable in their cowardice, perhaps they do not see the need for a last resort. I guess that if the dog likes being beaten, it's not likely to bite you when you beat it. The fact that they do not fight to overthrow their dictator, that they are not willing to lay down their lives in order to secure their essential liberties is (to me) only an argument that their lives have no meaning, and no value. They might as well be dead.

This must be one of the most bizarre things I have ever read, including the Hagrid/Dudley slash fanfic.

Do you honestly believe that people would rather die than live, even if it meant living in a dictatorship?

Also, isn't fighting against an overwhelming force normally technically suicide? Meaning it is also the "coward's way out"? Hence people living in dictatorships seem to have very little choice, except to move. They can be cowards, or...cowards.

I think perhaps it would be good for you to meet people from different countries and cultures. It would give you some much needed perspective on your Hollywood B-movie inspired views.

First, you are assuming that all dictators are going to deprive their subjects of freedom. I'd say that is a fair enough assumption. Operating under that assumption, one can only conclude that those who live beneath a dictator are doing so willingly out of a condition of overwhelming cowardice. Suicide is never a viable option, it's a coward's last resort. Since they are obviously quite comfortable in their cowardice, perhaps they do not see the need for a last resort. I guess that if the dog likes being beaten, it's not likely to bite you when you beat it. The fact that they do not fight to overthrow their dictator, that they are not willing to lay down their lives in order to secure their essential liberties is (to me) only an argument that their lives have no meaning, and no value. They might as well be dead.

One of the stupidest things I have ever seen posted in a long time on any message board anywhere ever, even coming from a dependable purveyor of poorly thought out trash like yourself. Some of us come from countries that were, in fact, ruled by US-backed dictators.

But, in fact, my father did die crusading against a dictator. Shot in the street two weeks before America pulled the plug on the dictator. After he spent ten years trying to change it from within. I guess he was a coward for those ten years though. And I guess he was a coward for the six years in which he took our family out of there and spent his time trying to get the Americans to pull their support. As was my mother, who as far as I can tell has more courage, integrity and sense in a single one of her prematurely greyed hairs than you do in your entire callow, shallow, thoughtless, empty-rhetoric-spewing body.

Some day, you'll pull your head out of your ass and realize what an enormous jackass you make out of yourself with every one of these wannabe-Patrick-Henry posts. I hope you have the courage, then, to confront the tyranny of your own ignorance and armchair revolutionary horseshit. Come talk to me when you've had to make a real decision in your life and seen what kind of consequences are attached to your high-flown rhetoric, when you have more experience to base your crap on than some k3wl quote you read in a god damn libertarian pamphlet.

Archived