Exercise and Fitness II

lessthanluke

Well, I'm a little frustrated. I've been wanting to work on my vrschikasana (posted pictures last month for the progress report thing) but I've been having trouble with some elbow tendinitis. This hits me off and on and means one of two things: I'm working too much (too true right now) or I'm writing too much (also true, but now I'm on a break from it to ease the elbows.) I can't do much about work at the moment.

So, I'm trying to work around the elbow issue, but the vrschika does manage to irritate them a bit so it's been slow going. My teacher showed me some helpful techniques yesterday for stretching, and I have an appointment with my elbow wizard today to get some massage. Still can't quite straighten my left arm though, and I'm on a break from ashtanga practice because of all the push-up like motions and weight-bearing in the arms. So, I'm not happy because I can't do what I love. :cry:

Tonight is pilates and I am going to do a wundachair workout because it focuses more on balance and legs and it never seems to irritate my elbow.

My solutions are always weights related I know but I have experienced mild tendonitis in my elbows from bench pressing and what has relieved the symptoms for me is 2 sets of 20 reps hammer curls and/or tricep pushdowns. Try some light high rep db hammer curls and see if it helps.

My solutions are always weights related I know but I have experienced mild tendonitis in my elbows from bench pressing and what has relieved the symptoms for me is 2 sets of 20 reps hammer curls and/or tricep pushdowns. Try some light high rep db hammer curls and see if it helps.

You're going to have to translate that for me into something like plain English. I don't speak weightlfterese, as I am sure you don't speak sanskrit.

I have been feeling like strengthening the left arm would help. It's withered compared to the right. Here's what's available to me for strengthening: I have an 8kg kettlebell. I have something resembling a cable system that can pretty much move in any direction/range. I have water jugs, and I have a jungle gym like structure that I could do dips on (is that what you mean by tricep push down? Somehow I think not...)

You're going to have to translate that for me into something like plain English. I don't speak weightlfterese, as I am sure you don't speak sanskrit.

I have been feeling like strengthening the left arm would help. It's withered compared to the right. Here's what's available to me for strengthening: I have an 8kg kettlebell. I have something resembling a cable system that can pretty much move in any direction/range. I have water jugs, and I have a jungle gym like structure that I could do dips on (is that what you mean by tricep push down? Somehow I think not...)

Youtube db hammer curls and tricep pushdowns.

Youtube db hammer curls and tricep pushdowns.

Yes, of course. I was hoping you would try to put it into words. I find it an interesting practice to try to describe physical exercises/positions without using images. But thank you. I think I can devise something along these lines with what I have and see if it helps.

LessThanLuke,

Have you tried Doggcrapp training at all? I was thinking of trying it once I finish running through Starting Strength again.

Nope though I have read about it and heard good things.

I have 4 workouts left of sheiko then I'm going to max out.

Seastarr, I have wrist tendinitis and I can't always do yoga or pushups for long. It really seems to be just that one weak link though.

I stuck to a flat trail in the city instead of trying to go up another mountain, and it went a lot better. Five ten-minute miles. I didn't feel like I was working much harder than if I weren't at altitude, but I didn't feel like I could go faster without really pushing either. I heard not to push at all the first few weeks anyway, so I just jogged along.

Seastarr, I have wrist tendinitis and I can't always do yoga or pushups for long. It really seems to be just that one weak link though.

I stuck to a flat trail in the city instead of trying to go up another mountain, and it went a lot better. Five ten-minute miles. I didn't feel like I was working much harder than if I weren't at altitude, but I didn't feel like I could go faster without really pushing either. I heard not to push at all the first few weeks anyway, so I just jogged along.

First of all, when did you move to Denver? I thought you were somewhere vaguely near DC?

Second of all, you sound like you have similar issues with wrists as I do (although for different reasons).

And yeah, don't push it at all if you're acclimatizing to higher altitude. It will come, but you need to build up more red blood cells, and that takes some time.

Also, I made it back to the gym today and ran did another three miles, mostly somewhat inclined uphill. Followed that with an introductory round of arms, I'll call it. Which I'm sure will be leaving them feeling miserable soon enough, but I do need to think of something systematic. Suggestions on regimented programs for arms/legs? Keeping in mind that I'm starting from a fairly depressing baseline :( I just did three reps of three pull-ups :leaving:

Heh, I actually just moved to Denver this week- arrived Sunday night. I'm pretty sure that my wrist problem is from using the computer and mouse so much- it started bothering me when I was building a computerized model with several thousand components and I had to click and drag each one individually. Perversely, I kind of miss it. It was a good mindless escape from programming all the time.

Tuesday's workout was a lower-weight, high-rep, low-rest-interval kind of day, plus my trainer brought in 4 or 5 new exercises to work my middle and lower back. I was thoroughly toast after that. Then Wednesday I woke up with a headache, part of which was caused by beer the evening before. Thought I could get a workout in at lunch, but meetings killed that idea. So, Wednesday was a bust. This AM I spent a good while on the rowing machine, then squats, lunges, chest presses and a couple of other exercises. In all, I'm quite pleased with the results thus far (much better posture and the band on my bra is much looser -- I'm going to have to go back to 34s soon. woohoo!)

A 3 mile run followed (5 or 6 hours later) with deads, squats, and a lot of leg isolation movements. I just know I'm not going to be able to walk tomorrow. But I shall eat.

And eat and eat and eat.

I've been bicycling every other day for the past month or two, and my routes are about 15-20 miles long. My legs are tight like a tiger and my stamina is definitely improving, but what sort of upper-body stuff can I do without a gym membership or equipment?

well I was going to go to the gym and do my squats/legs day

I stopped by the grocery store on the way home from work because I was out of fresh fruit and fish and paper towels. I got back in my car and it made the "whaaa-whirrr-unhh-unhh-unhh" sound that the Delorean makes at the end of Back to the Future when it doesn't start for Marty. I was fresh out of plutonium, but luckily I was only a couple blocks from home, so I walked my groceries home and walked back and called triple A, they came and gave me a jump and I drove around for about twenty minutes, then parked at my apartment, turned off the car and tried to turn it on again. dead again. Normally I'd walk to the gym, but it's about a thirty or thirtyfive minute walk and it was already 9:00 the gym closes at 10:00. will skip the movie I wanted to see tomorrow and do leg day tomorrow. sad, but hopefully replacing the old battery will do the trick and it's not something expensive involving the starter. :-p

I've been bicycling every other day for the past month or two, and my routes are about 15-20 miles long. My legs are tight like a tiger and my stamina is definitely improving, but what sort of upper-body stuff can I do without a gym membership or equipment?

Pushups, pullups, dips.

Try running with bricks in your hands.

I don;t know. Why do so many people refuse to get a Y membership? Sell your bike and pay for a year at a YMCA.

Why do so many people refuse to get a Y membership? Sell your bike and pay for a year at a YMCA.

I don't know. The Y is awesome. (So is the song. :P) At some, you can even apply for financial assistance for membership.

But don't sell your bike. Bikes are awesome.

Back up to 30 miles this past week but have a couple nagging injuries so I'll probably stay there for another week before I get back to typical training.

<proud coach> Though it's not me, I felt this is the place to brag: We had a girl win the 1600 & 3200 in the conference championships fairly easily; the 3200 was in 11:12 and the 1600 was in 5:15. She ran both just to win instead of time so I figure she has another 6-7 seconds to drop on the 1600 and 10-15 on the 3200 once she's thrown into some competition (more if we decided just to concentrate on one). Definitely going to medal at the state meet and there is a decent chance she'll win it. </proud coach>

Woo yeah! New personal best deadlift today, 170kg. Very happy with that improvement now that I'm lifting well above twice my bodyweight.

Unfortunately, I also found out just how weak I am on the bench, just 95kg. So, new goal. I'm already aiming for 200kg deadlift by the end of the year. I'm going to add a 120kg bench to that goal.

Archived