Little Update

Now everyone knows Ian McShane, Brad Dourif, and Timothy Olyphant etc.

Haven't you ever seen the orignal Dune or Lord of the Rings? Mr Dourif had much wider exposure there. :) Before his awesome turn as the doc.

But I hear you. I had never heard or seen most of the actors in Rome or Deadwood prior to those shows (with the exception of Vorenus battling werewolves in north Scotland) and they were suberbly cast. I hear James Purefoy tops his role as Mark Antony in the upcoming Solomon Kane. I can't wait to see that.

I hope they can find a few young actors on "Octavian's" level. To think that guy has only done something like two movies (one being Master and Commander) and Rome. I hope we see more of him when he finished uni.

Haven't you ever seen the orignal Dune or Lord of the Rings? Mr Dourif had much wider exposure there. :) Before his awesome turn as the doc.

Dourif was also excellently creepy (as very similar characters) in Exorcist III and an episode of X Files. I thought he was short-changed in the theatrical LotR movies. Too bad he's not UK. Roose Bolton anyone? (yes, it would be a pipe dream even if he was UK.) Of course, that'd also be a give-away that Bolton's not that good a person.

Don't forget his first major role in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." He had one of the most important roles in that film - he's been a well known actor since 1975!

I hope they can find a few young actors on "Octavian's" level. To think that guy has only done something like two movies (one being Master and Commander) and Rome. I hope we see more of him when he finished uni.

You are talking about Max Pirkis. A few years ago he would have been a perfect Joff (actually right when he was doing Rome, in fact). He's now college age and even by the end of his stint on Rome he was starting to get pretty big - he probably could have played the 22 years old Octavian convincingly, even though he was only about 17. Unfortunately he'll be too young for Jaime most likely - assuming he's big enough now. He might be right in between the ages for those roles.

Pirkis was also in the same production of Richard III that I saw Peter Dinklage in - he played the elder of the two young Princes. It's a small role but he did well. Of course he was great in Master & Commander and in Rome.

Anyone who doubts HBO's ability to get quality, young actors has never watched season four The Wire.

With all the child parts (Stark children, Dany, etc), maybe they can bring in Robert Chew as an acting coach? He up to anything lately?

With all the child parts (Stark children, Dany, etc), maybe they can bring in Robert Chew as an acting coach? He up to anything lately?

Did he help coach those kids on the show? All four were incredible. Robert Chew is a great actor, but is really just local to Baltimore (every production he's listed in takes place in Baltimore). I think he does a lot of local theater there. I wonder why he never tried to make it in Hollywood, especially after his Wire success. I'm sure he'd get a lot of character work.

Yeah, if you listen to the commentaries on the Wire S4 DVD's, it's made pretty clear that Robert Chew (Prop Joe) really took the 4 actors playing Namond, Randy, Michael, and Dukie under his wing and coached them through the season. Whatever they were paying the fat man, it wasn't enough.

The fact the some of this forum's most literate, entertaining posters are huge fans of The Wire came as no real shock to me. The fact that I just learned a handful of things about the show that I never even knew? Now that was the surprise.

Fans of great literature can apparently also be fans of great television.* Who knew?

Yea

P. S. Robert Chew as Illyrio. I'm just saying.

* Yes, I know, "---It's HBO."

P. S. Robert Chew as Illyrio. I'm just saying.

Sadly, he's probably not British Equity, though with all the work for U.K. actors The Wire gave them, maybe they should extend eligibility to actors from Baltimore, right? I mean fair's fair.

ahhhhhhhh someone does'nt keep up with developments......

Guilty as charged :blush: I haven't been round the ASOIF board in years (actually I've never really posted on this particular board but I did make a nuisance of myself on previous incarnations) :hat:

Got any pictures of this friend of a friend (not to criticize but just to get an idea of what kinda look they have in mind for Daenerys)?

You are talking about Max Pirkis. A few years ago he would have been a perfect Joff (actually right when he was doing Rome, in fact). He's now college age .....

I think the kids parts are going to be cast older than in the books. I really doubt if we are going to see a 13 year old Dany (or even an older actress playing a 13 year old) getting married of and deflowered in Series 1. There are also the child labour laws to consider which since the kids play such an important part in the AGOT would present challenges to filming.

I'm guessing Dany is going to be 18ish with Sansa a couple of years younger and the other characters proportionate to this (mind you this thread has shown just what my opinion is worth) :hat:

I think the kids parts are going to be cast older than in the books. I really doubt if we are going to see a 13 year old Dany (or even an older actress playing a 13 year old) getting married of and deflowered in Series 1. There are also the child labour laws to consider which since the kids play such an important part in the AGOT would present challenges to filming.

I'm guessing Dany is going to be 18ish with Sansa a couple of years younger and the other characters proportionate to this (mind you this thread has shown just what my opinion is worth) :hat:

Its seemsw Dany is gonna be 15. Though played by a 18-20 year old

Its seemsw Dany is gonna be 15. Though played by a 18-20 year old

I think this is the perfect compromise. 15 is an age where people are not completely outraged of

her having sex. But still young enough that a lot of people will feel very put off by her having sex with an older man. Then of course there is the whole being sold of by your brother for power, which is repulsive no matter her age.

A sheltered (and complety misinformed by Viscerys) 15-year old has enough innocence to fit in with where her character is at the start of the show. And as a teenager it is realistic that she start to grow up very quickly during the course of the show.

A young looking 18-mid20 year old actor, will have some more experience than a childactor.

Of course we would need an extremely gifted 18-mid20 year old to carry the eastern storyline.

But that is what casting calls are for.

Just found out that a friend of a friend has been asked to audition for Danerys! which is pretty cool! also means that they must be getting on with the rest of the casting.

Do you know the age of your friends friend?

Could be interesting toi see what age they are going for.

It seems they are looking for a 8-9 year old boy for Bran. According to a father who posted on winter-is-coming.

Ok my friend finally got back to me! didnt say much though.

She is 21. She was told to go by her agent but auditions are still going on so they said they won't get back to her for a few weeks. She also said they are still auditioning for the roles of Robb and Jon as well. She has done some TV work but no films and is an unkown.

Will post more if i can find out anything else.

Thanks for the info GS! Interesting that they are casting so much older for Dany (a difference of 6 years between character and actor age) but yet apparently casting the exact age for Bran. Guess it makes sense though, since they have to account for a younger actor outgrowing the role. Don't have to worry about that with Dany as much, as long as they cast a young looking 19-21 year old.

But that's how these thing's work, right? Relatively unknown talent to an HBO series then on to fame afterward. From an American perspective, the biggest name in Deadwood, was Keith freaking Carradine. Now everyone knows Ian McShane, Brad Dourif, and Timothy Olyphant etc. Powers Boothe came later on (and out of retirement as far as I can tell; glad he did.) Kristen Bell had a great turn on that show before I'd ever heard of her. (Ithink she was already doing some broadcast TV though.) Idris Elba? Dominic West? Kevin McKidd? Ray Stevenson? Did anyone know who these people were before HBO got a hold of them?

Yes. Ian McShane was a relatively well-known star in the UK as he appeared in Lovejoy (about a 'lovable rogue antiques dealer'), one of the highest-rated programmes in the country (as in 15 million + viewers) in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I met him at a charity football match many years before Deadwood. Interesting guy. He clearly liked having fans, but wasn't one to suffer fools gladly and had pretty acidic responses to anyone asking asinine questions, unless they were kids, whom he treated with a great deal more respect.

Dominic West had done a lot of TV work, although he wasn't a household name. Kevin McKidd had been in a shitload of British programmes and movies (most notably the impressive-for-its-budget Dog Soldiers) before Rome. Hadn't encountered Stevenson before.

I was a huge Idris Elba fan from his awesome turn in Ultraviolet in 1998. Although watching Stringer Bell explode vampires is a bit surreal these days.

Hadn't encountered Stevenson before.

I actually remembered Stevenson from King Arthur. I liked his short-lived character. Not as much as Pullo, but enough that when we started watching Rome, I recognized him.

Archived