Your Right to Bear Arms is Bullsh*t

Lord of Oop North

It's funny, the NRA just called me about H.R. 45. I never give money to charityies, ever. But I actually gave one hundred dollars towards them fighting this bill. The bill is absolute bullshit and I am no NRA guy, but I'm not going to armchair QB this one.

Do any of those magnetic strips get fired by an explosion down a steel tube at supersonic speeds and then smash into tissue/bone/whatever is behind the person you are shooting at? I think the kind of data storage you are talking about will be a little harder to manufacture. Also, you do not take into account bullets that fragement on impact. Or shotgun shells, which are plastic filled with many, smaller bits of shot. Are you going to stamp each piece of shot?

not to mention that the metro cards in the example contain only basic information about the cards themselves, not the kind of detailed information that would be required fro this bullet scheme, that they are produced generically and are largely all identical to each other, and don't require any sort of data to be kept in synch in a database somewhere..... And i won't even go into the topic of re-loading, or multiple ammunition manufactureers froma round the world.

But i digress.....

It's funny, the NRA just called me about H.R. 45. I never give money to charityies, ever. But I actually gave one hundred dollars towards them fighting this bill. The bill is absolute bullshit and I am no NRA guy, but I'm not going to armchair QB this one.

Wow. that is some bullshit. Time to write some letters...

Eh, just did some research on this. It's the same bill that was proposed in 2007 and died in committee. This bill is likely to do the same.

Snopes.

Eh, just did some research on this. It's the same bill that was proposed in 2007 and died in committee. This bill is likely to do the same.

Snopes.

God I hope so. Lord is that bill retarded. They lost me right when they got to the part where it gave the police the right to come in and inspect your house anytime they wanted, just to ensure your gun was properly stored.

I mean. If a gun dealer wants my fingerprint, ID, SS#, whatever. But past that? And what the hell is with this physical evaluation shit? If you're too fat, you can't own a gun?

That's the spirit! A man has to pick his battles, preferably armed

How is it any different than licensing to drive a motor vehicle? Other than it being on the federal, rather than state level that is.

You don't need a license to drive. You need one to drive on public roads. This is licensing possession of a gun in your own home. It would be like requiring a license to have a car in your garage. And that the police have permission to come into your house whenever they want to make sure that the blinkers work. And that you are unable to buy or sell a car from your neighbor, but must buy one from a car dealership. It is retarded, and unnecessary, and against the spirit of the 2nd amendment.

But the thing is, every time it's brought up on these boards, we're discussing the 2nd amendment. The mere nature to which the right is engrained in American culture is different than most any other country. When people are claiming that we shouldn't have the right anymore it makes the situation completely different based on the reasons for it being a right in the first place. I'm not up to date on Canada's constitution and where in it gun rights are discussed, but if you could enlighten me I'd be willing to listen.

Just an aside (as I'm very late to the thread), but Canada's constitution does not mention guns or gun rights anywhere.

Just an aside (as I'm very late to the thread), but Canada's constitution does not mention guns or gun rights anywhere.

I didn't think it did. That's kind of the point though. The very nature of how gun rights are engrained into the American culture are what change both how we defend it and how we are attacked for it.

God I hope so. Lord is that bill retarded. They lost me right when they got to the part where it gave the police the right to come in and inspect your house anytime they wanted, just to ensure your gun was properly stored.

Point out where it says that. Because the only thing I see about inspections reads

In order to ascertain compliance with this Act, the amendments made by this Act, and the regulations and orders issued under this Act, the Attorney General may, during regular business hours, enter any place in which firearms or firearm products are manufactured, stored, or held, for distribution in commerce, and inspect those areas where the products are so manufactured, stored, or held

So unless your house doubles as your gun store's warehouse...

They lost me right when they got to the part where it gave the police the right to come in and inspect your house anytime they wanted, just to ensure your gun was properly stored.

[...]

And what the hell is with this physical evaluation shit? If you're too fat, you can't own a gun?

Max the Mostly Mediocre dealt with the home inspection stuff above, but regarding physical evalucations... what's up with that shit is that it's a lie, created and spread just so that people would have the exact reaction you apparently had. There is no mention of any physical evaluations of the applicant anywhere in the bill.

I didn't think it did. That's kind of the point though. The very nature of how gun rights are engrained into the American culture are what change both how we defend it and how we are attacked for it.

Which is exactly what me and Galactus pointed out. American defence of gun rights is ... kinda strange to the rest of the world.

And what the hell is with this physical evaluation shit? If you're too fat, you can't own a gun?

Probably for people with some kind of motoric difficulties and/or visual impairments.

You really don't want blind people to have guns. (at least not outside of electronic shooting, which requires a shooting range anyhow) and I say that as someone who is visually impaired. Same thing I guess with people with some kinds of neural problems that means they have trouble keeping their aim steady and such.

The condescending and arrogant tone so many people use to "discuss" these issues with Americans gets pretty annoying. Especially coming from people who have little to no experience with cultures in which guns are common and accepted. They base their perceptions off of sh!t they know nothing about.

Guns ARE common here. I don't own one, but my brother-in-law owns several. So does many of the people I went to school with and their parents. As did a girl I went to uni with. It's not as if a gun is some kind of strange and mythical object. Lots of people own guns.

It's the attitude that is different.

Probably for people with some kind of motoric difficulties and/or visual impairments.

You really don't want blind people to have guns. (at least not outside of electronic shooting, which requires a shooting range anyhow) and I say that as someone who is visually impaired. Same thing I guess with people with some kinds of neural problems that means they have trouble keeping their aim steady and such.

Guns ARE common here. I don't own one, but my brother-in-law owns several. So does many of the people I went to school with and their parents. As did a girl I went to uni with. It's not as if a gun is some kind of strange and mythical object. Lots of people own guns.

It's the attitude that is different.

That's cool. Unfortunately though, that's not the case a lot of the time.

It's not that guns aren't common elsewhere in the world. It's something about the attitude "From my cold dead hands" that seems peculiarly American. Because there is this quaint notion that guns will protect you from Tyranny and oppression. I can't really figure out where it comes from, to be honest, but it lives on.

It's not as if there are historical precedents to support this idea, for instance. Certainly not the American Revolution.

It's not that guns aren't common elsewhere in the world. It's something about the attitude "From my cold dead hands" that seems peculiarly American. Because there is this quaint notion that guns will protect you from Tyranny and oppression. I can't really figure out where it comes from, to be honest, but it lives on.

It's not as if there are historical precedents to support this idea, for instance. Certainly not the American Revolution.

"From my cold dead hands" is more of a fact that people don't like it when you take their stuff, no matter what that stuff is. I have a sword collection. If somebody from the government came to my home to try to take it away they'd have to pry it out of my hands and throw me in jail for that. If somebody came to my home and tried to take my Nintendo Wii, the same thing would occur. People in America generally don't like the government telling them what they can and can't do and a lot of people take it to the extreme. The government tried to take away our alcohol once and we know how many people died as a result of that.

BTW, that kind of sucks....prohibition during the first few years of the depression? If there was a time the people needed their booze that was it.

Archived