An official PC & next-gen game for ASOIAF

Evrach

Cyanide could turn out an absolutely stellar game, but their resume of great and ground-breaking games isn't that great.

They better have some creative minds working on this project because there are so many things that they could do with an ASOIAF game.

It should be an RPG where you could make your character and explore the lands of Westeros and (Essos and Southoros in expansions)

I would hope that they could make it turn out like Morrowind or Oblivion, allowing you to quest for the different houses, or the Citadel, or the Seven. Perhaps they could allow you to be born into a house of your choosing and let you claim castles, hire knights, raise armies, all in an RPG fashion of course.

I am praying for an Elder Scrolls type game, more to the tune of Morrowind than Oblivion.

Perhaps you'd be able to create your own house, design your own colors, and have heirs.

Why, there are so many things you can do.

Man I am so stoked for both of those. A real time strategy game is very appealing, but an RPG where you can play through a story as a number of different individuals and hopefully have the ability to really take the game where you choose (as far as being honorable/dishonorable or to use might or intelligence/strategy to deal with obstacles).

The times I played the table top RPG with friends was just soooo much fun. We had a strong campaign going based in a post ASOIAF timeframe. We took the time as a group to come up with a reasonable way to close the current battle for Westeros and the War for Dawn so we had a starting point for the game. It was almost as fun coming up with the results of the current story (if not more fun honestly) then playing the game itself.

I just want more Westeros any way you look at it.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted stoke the flame back up on this thread a little....

Recently it was announced that Red Eagle Games has partnered with Obsidian to co-develop the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time RPG videogame. THIS IS AWESOME....but it's got me thinking about ASOIAF's videogame.

I have little faith that Cyanide can pull off a decent game by themselves but what if they did like Red Eagle and had the game "co-developed"?

Obsidian is now taken. Bioware is hip deep in; Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Bethesda is probably working on the engine for Elder Scrolls 5. Whom would that leave for Cyanide to get help from? I can only think of a few and mainly Blizzard or NC Soft - which I'm not an MMO fan so I'd hate for this game to go the subscription based MMORPG route. I did get to thinking Cyanide is French right?...what other big player in the videogame industry is also french??? UBISOFT. Not a fan of them either but they could actually bankroll the project and get some experienced game developers to do this game. Heck the license for this IP alone is worth buying Cyanide completely in my eyes. I hate Ubisoft about the same as EA at this point but I want an RPG game that's worth a damn and I don't think it will happen unless a big fish gets involved.

The only decent CRPG maker out there is Bioware and sadly they're not interested in doing ASoIaF game. Also I found Oblivion boring, bloated, and cliche. Hopefully the RPG will be less like Oblivion and more like Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

I like Bioware games a lot put being able to explore Westeros like a Bethesda RPG would be really cool. I played Fallout 3 for hundreds of hours and if we could get something like that for ASOIAF I'd be stuck to the couch for months! The combat in Oblivion isn't that great and the overall action just isn't fun- you are right about that, but there is a ton of other stuff to do. Bioware just seems to make their worlds very linear almost like Lionheads Fable series. If you could mesh the 3 of those into 1 game set in ASOIAF that would be great. Action and combat like in Fable with dialogue and character interaction like Bioware set in a huge open world like Fallout 3, that's a recipe for success!

• 2 months later...

"Cool stuff coming in from Cyanide Studios on the videogame too. Can't share that either. Sorry, sorry."

Posted by George on his Not A Blog on the 7th. Could be promising if the big boss likes it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll mention that the GAME is more important than the setting in video games. How much trash has been released for Star Wars? Then you have no name settings for Mass Effect, Oblivion, etc, that turn out good (at least in my eyes). The Wheel of Time game was a level of horror that was unheard of.

That being said, it'd be badass if they made ASOIF in the style of God of War... you're Jaime Lannister slaughtering everyone across the entire continent, ending with the death of all the Others in Game 1. Game 2 you head across the ocean to battle dragons in Quorth... and harpies...

• 5 weeks later...

I know it sounds ridiculous to talk about this but I'm so excited about the prospects of both of these. An Oblivion style RPG in Westeros sounds absolutely awesome. You could swear allegience to a House for a quest line or become a sellesword, take the black, become a wildling, a smuggler. With ASoIaF as an RPG, the possibilites are endless. I'd love to see a dialogue system that could play to the intrigue that the series is famous for. Also would like to see an RTS, which I know is being planned. It'd be really cool to see some of the famous battles play out.

Let's get a wish list of battles we would like to play

Balon Greyjoy's Rebellion

Battle of the Trident

Blackwater

Whispering Wood

The actual game mechanics from Cyanide on Blood Bowl are really quite good. That's hopeful. Where they were very, very shaky is on stuff like the multiplayer lobbies, game matching, and interface for that section. It seemed like they spent so much time on the game part that they just slapped together the rest of it in a week.

The game mechanics were not theirs though, they were virtually an exact copy of the board game rules, I enjoy the game, but then I enjoyed the virtually identical board game so i'm not sure how much credit they can take for that.

Genesis? I have a hard time imagining how such an inappropriate title was decided upon.

Game Designer One--"I know . . . let's pick a name that has nothing at all to do with the rich imaginary world the author has created, but one that's connected to our real world and also has biblical connotations."

Game Designer Two--"Fuck yeah! great idea!"

Yeah, came here to voice my opinion too, "Genesis" is a HORRIBLE title. Why not just, "Game of Thrones: The Beginning?" Genesis is a biblical word, a word from Earth religion/mythology, it has no place in Westeros.

Fuck. They might as well have named it "A Game Of Thrones: Dawn Of Fantasy" or some dumb shit like that. Fuck.

Seriously, how is Genesis going to figure into anything here? Okay, so it obviously hints at the game being a prequel to the book of sorts, which does make sense, but there's no GENESIS, no starting point to the series at all. What makes ASOIAF lore awesome is that it just goes back and further back until story becomes history, and history becomes unreliable myth. There's no fucking ORIGIN STORY to AGoT, which is the only (overused) connotation I'm getting from this. Bah.

Fuck. They might as well have named it "A Game Of Thrones: Dawn Of Fantasy" or some dumb shit like that. Fuck.

Seriously, how is Genesis going to figure into anything here? Okay, so it obviously hints at the game being a prequel to the book of sorts, which does make sense, but there's no GENESIS, no starting point to the series at all. What makes ASOIAF lore awesome is that it just goes back and further back until story becomes history, and history becomes unreliable myth. There's no fucking ORIGIN STORY to AGoT, which is the only (overused) connotation I'm getting from this. Bah.

Dawn of Fantasy lol

Ya Genesis was pretty awful, but maybe theyre saving the good name for the RPG? Or maybe genesis means something more cool in French...

Im just glad theyre going to make both an RTS and RPG for us to play. This is like a dream come true! :spank:

Dawn of Fantasy lol

Ya Genesis was pretty awful, but maybe theyre saving the good name for the RPG? Or maybe genesis means something more cool in French...

Im just glad theyre going to make both an RTS and RPG for us to play. This is like a dream come true! :spank:

Genesis is the english for the french word "Genèse" ; almost the same word, and the same meaning ^^ Sorry to disappoint you. And it's as ugly in French that in English as title. <_<

Archived