Would you like to see scenes not shown in the books?

The Green Fork isn't with Cat, it's the one we see in all it's full glory because Tyrion is right in the middle of it. That's why I thought it would be the 1 mega-battle shown in season one (if they had to pick just 1).

For the Whispering Wood, how about showing Cat fretting, surrounded by a few guards, occasionally stopping to listen or peer through the trees, then cut that with very short, up-close flashes of the battle itself? Like she's picturing it in her mind's eye. 1 flash showing the first Lannister men falling to arrows, another showing the first crossing of the swords, another with Jaime calling for Robb and cutting down the Karstark suns, etc and so forth. Each of the flashes lasting only 5-10 seconds or so.

Just a thought. Like I said, if they can afford it, I'm happy to see long attention given to each, throwing in Robb raising the seige at Riverrun for good measure. But in the event of a minimalist approach that honors the POV-style of the book, I suggest the above.

Exactly. It's a visual medium, so cutting back and forth is a constructive rather than distracting experience.

I think that the default choice ought to be to respect George's choice of POV, to the extent practicable. For example, take the Battle of Whispering Wood (Robb v. Jaime). We don't get a direct description of the battle; it's in a Catelyn POV chapter and we hear her listen to other people delivering an after-action description of what happened.

George didn't describe the battle that way as a budget measure; he made a deliberate narrative choice-- and it worked very well.

Sometimes limited budgets can lead to some pretty cool storytelling. There was an episode of Battlestar Galactica (I forget which one) in which there was a space battle, but all the audience got to see was the CIC bridge during the battle, with Adama and the rest of the bridge crew listening to the battle and reacting to the sounds. We didn't even see the battle, but the scene was MADE OF AWESOME.

Yeah. Loved that scene too (the BSG one). But it was as creative as it was inexpensive. If all they do to recount the whispering wood is to talk about it, it is going to make for some really boring dialogue. I'm all for retelling things in interesting ways, but film is not text. You can get away with somethings in one but not in the other. Hearing a soildier recount what he went through at the Crag for example is almost as easy to envision in a book as it would be if Martin actually had gone to the battle. On TV though, first and second hand accounts will wear very thin very quickly. We don't want to hear someone talk about banners, colors, and names of Lords who were captured, wounded or slain. TV is visual. We want to see it happen.

I say this fully understanding budgetary concerns. But I'd almost rather have events omitted entirely than to have to bear the numerous lists of names and places that often crop up in the book. It works there. It won't on the tube.

Yes. The Whispering Woods battle was actually recounted in flashbook but I doubt there is any point going that way in the series. Most of the battle is relatively unimportant except for Jaime's attack on Robb. That's a very nice scene.

Most scenes can be told in numerous ways. I wouldn't be worried about what is choosen, except that every series needs some action.

What like Tyrion's birth? No thank you. I know HBO claims to be very edgy but seeing Gollum in theaters was enough for me. The book's "monstrous" allusions should suffice. Some things are just not meant for the tele :stunned:

I'm pretty sure they will go the book route with the whispering woods. I mean there is already roose bolton vs tywin lannister, so they will save money for that.

I look forward to seeing Bronn in action though with his dual weilding longswords vs the wildlings in the vale.

SPOILER: Spoilery
I'd love to see Balon's death, and add details not in the book. For example, during the Red Wedding, I think it would be great to have a shadow (Edric's) go into Roose Bolton right before he stabs Robb, just like one should go into the wine in the Purple Wedding.
Balon's death should be part of the end of the third season. It should be: Balon's death, reveal that Catelyn is alive.

I'd also love to see a GRRM cameo. Possibly Tytos Lannister in a flashback, or as a minor lord at the Purple Wedding.
ETA - sorries.

Dude. SPOILERS!

I've always pictured the right way to open Ep3 would be to intercut Ned's walking into the throne room to greet the current small council with a flashback of his walking into the throne room in the aftermath of the sack of KL. I don't think you need to depict much that isn't there, though.

Pita E, wouldn't that be making a definitive statement about Mel's curse? She has power, sure, but the events you describe also coincide with others' machinations.

I tried to explain further, but I don't know how to black out the background to cover my spoilers...

It definitely would. But since her other magic works, I pretty much treat the leech-burning as part of it. It didn't cause the deaths, but it definitely influenced them. By the way, to spoiler something, type [spoiler=TOTALLY AWESOME SPOILER, MAN]Gared gets beheaded by Ned[/spoiler]

It definitely would. But since her other magic works, I pretty much treat the leech-burning as part of it. It didn't cause the deaths, but it definitely influenced them.

Not to get sidetracked but there's a very strong argument to be made for the leech burning having nothing to do with what happened; that Melisandre foresaw the events happening in the flames, and manipulated Stannis into believing they caused thm.

I would like to see a flash back to Sandor being burned by Gregor

That'd work especially well if they cut right after to a flashback of his getting knighted. This would be while Sandor is explaining how the world really is to Sansa of course, and really drive home his opinion of his brother and of knights in general.

There are certain scenes alluded to in the books but not show. An example:

Now would you like scenes like these to be shown, or only alluded to like they are in the books?

No. Not needed. Stick to the books, and all will be well. I would forgive them for bending a bit to fit flow and timing, or to fit in just a little more nudity/violence/etc. I would not forgive them for throwing in extra scenes just for the hell of it.

I would not forgive them for throwing in extra scenes just for the hell of it.

Isn't that kind of subjective though, whether or not a new scene has value? I haven't read the leaked pilot script and I'm not going to (and it may not even be that accurate), but some of the scenes there already seem to have debatable value for some on this board.

Not to get sidetracked but there's a very strong argument to be made for the leech burning having nothing to do with what happened; that Melisandre foresaw the events happening in the flames, and manipulated Stannis into believing they caused thm.

I didn't think about that...

I'm an idiot.

Thank you.

Archived