Robin Hobb

Thor85

That's fair. The last two books in the trilogy were almost entirely downers so I can see how the end could feel like too little, too late.

To be honest, I didn't care for Lisana that much, so it didn't make the ending less happy for me that she didn't get quite what she wanted.

As for Nevare being split, well, he'd been so for virtually the entire trilogy, so it seemed appropriate to me that he'd end it that way. The two personalities had developed separately and meshing them together was just weird. We'd gotten to know split-Nevare, I don't really know who whole-Nevare would be.

But really, I hated the whole "split personality" conceit to begin with. I didn't realize when I began reading Hobb how much she likes founding characters' personalities on magic in one way or another, and it's one reason I'm hesitant to read Liveship even though it's popular.

I suppose I didn't particularly care for Lisana that much either, but she was certainly more sympathetic than Nevare to me.

For me, the 2 Nevares were not separate personalities, they were two halves of one personality with no right to independent existence and when they were finally united that was something I'd been screaming for for 2 whole bloody books, so splitting him again almost immediately pissed me off extremely.

I hated that split conceit too.

About the Rain Wilds Chronicles and their sequelitude: My very vague understanding -- having not yet read them -- is that was not originally supposed to be the case. Dragon Keeper was originally envisioned as a standalone, I think, and split in two when it grew too large -- whether or not it should've been cut down with a dull ax instead is another question for another day. That Hobb eventually decided to do another Rain Wilds book to follow on seems to have been a later development, and some people assumed Dragon Haven was the end, while others just assumed there would certainly be a third book at a time when that actually wasn't certain. Is it two more now? Huh. Thought it was just one.

Yes. It was supposed to be one book and that was split into two. The third and final book was supposed to come out in April 2012, and that third book will still come out, only now that has been split into two volumes yet again.

As ever, how much one is annoyed by this will be determined in part by how much you enjoyed the series.

Next two books in The Rain Wild Chornicles will be called City of Dragons and Blood of Dragons.

Robin Hobb said about release date:

As of this moment, the next volume will come out in April or May of 2012.

It looks like Drakenstad, the Dutch translation of the novel, will be published in this autumn. Too bad I can't read Dutch...

http://www.eci.nl/boeken/kronieken-wilde-regenland-3-drakenstad-9789024536603

http://www.bruna.nl/boeken/kronieken-wilde-regenland-3-drakenstad-9789024536603

Hobb thinks this is possible:

Well, September is not impossible, but it will be hard work for the translators!

The Dutch are so well read and multi-lingual that Dutch publishers try to come out ahead of the English version to capture the readership.

I believe City of Dragons is already finished (there was some rewriting in late April/early May, asked by Hobb's editor), but Harper Voyager won't publish it until spring 2012.

New message from Hobb:

There will be, I hope, two more volumes. City of Dragons and Dragon Blood. The first to come out in April or May of 2012, the second to follow within 6 months.

IF all goes as planned, that is!

So, who thinks this is going to be the final definate conclusion to Elderling world and who thinks she's going to start another serial set in the same world? Type your answers now.

There'll be more.

So in response to the original question, I liked parts of her work, but what really bugged me was an inconsistency between the first series and the second series and various inconsistencies between books. that's my most persistent memory.

I can't do spoiler code, sorry, otherwise I would spell it out.

So in response to the original question, I liked parts of her work, but what really bugged me was an inconsistency between the first series and the second series and various inconsistencies between books. that's my most persistent memory.

I can't do spoiler code, sorry, otherwise I would spell it out.

[spQoiler]your text here[/spQoiler] just delete the Qs.

thanks Ser Flyp taking somewhat belated advantage of this. Ok here's my beef with Robin Hobb- I've read pretty much all her work except the Dragon Chronicles and so on. But the thing that still bugs me is that of the relation between the Fool and Fitz. In the first chronicles, Fitz does a lot of the work and the Fool basically goes along for the ride. 15 years later the Fool turns up in Fool's Errand and sort of retcons events, describing the White Prophet and his catalyst as having achieved great things earlier. But actually the Fool's contribution to Fitz in Assassin's Quest is very minimal. That really bugged me.

thanks Ser Flyp taking somewhat belated advantage of this. Ok here's my beef with Robin Hobb- I've read pretty much all her work except the Dragon Chronicles and so on. But the thing that still bugs me is that of the relation between the Fool and Fitz. In the first chronicles, Fitz does a lot of the work and the Fool basically goes along for the ride. 15 years later the Fool turns up in Fool's Errand and sort of retcons events, describing the White Prophet and his catalyst as having achieved great things earlier. But actually the Fool's contribution to Fitz in Assassin's Quest is very minimal. That really bugged me.

Purely from memory and paraphrasing a bit, i think the fool describes the relationship between the White Prophet and their catalyst as someoe placing a pebble in the path of a cart wheel, much more painful for the pebble but enough for a minor deviation in the course of events.

So yes the Fools help is minimal, but sigificant, Fitz does the heavylifting and feels the pain...

Purely from memory and paraphrasing a bit, i think the fool describes the relationship between the White Prophet and their catalyst as someoe placing a pebble in the path of a cart wheel, much more painful for the pebble but enough for a minor deviation in the course of events.

So yes the Fools help is minimal, but sigificant, Fitz does the heavylifting and feels the pain...

Except we never really see the Fool acting as a catalyst in the First Trilogy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is probably a really old topic but I couldn't help but contribute.

To anyone wondering if they should read the Robin Hobb series: YES! Yes, you should.

After aSoIaF, it is always the next series I recommend.. however, do not go reading reviews about it because most people have only read the first trilogy, Farseer. Let me tell you right now, this is a 9-book series. It is a whole story, told in 9 parts. (I won't get in to the RainWild Chronicles except to say, as much as I love them and consider them books 10, 11, 12 & 13, they're completely unnecessary to the whole.)

I don't know why people always separate the three trilogies.. I really don't. It also bugs me when people only read the 1st and 3rd trilogies because they love Fitz and never give Liveships a chance. I have found, from everyone I've ever suggested read it, that Liveship Traders (books 4, 5, 6) are their favorite - as are they mine.

If you love Martin, you will love Hobb.

GRAND story once you've finished Book 9 & a wonderful journey to get there. :)

Archived