Exercise & Fitness III

Greywolf2375

Ran 5 miles in 38:35. Last week I ran a 38:30. I seem to have hit a plateau again. Could be the diet though. I bbqed a ton of spareribs last week, so about 80-90% of my diet for the last week has been ribs. Ribs for lunch, ribs for dinner. Some more carbs might help with the running, but I'm not sure. I think our bodies can convert excess protein and fat into glycogen...

If you want to get faster, you pretty much have to do interval training.

Basic exercises I would shoot for on legs, Ztem, are Squats, Deadlifts, Leg Press, Leg curls, Leg extensions, and calf raises. That's what I'm doing, minus the squats, which I am going to start this summer when I can get a trainer to watch me the first few times so that I don't die.

Liffguard is right: There is no need to do leg presses, leg curls, leg extensions or calf raises if you do squats and deadlifts. I would add power cleans, though. It's one of the most fun and effective exercises you can do.

So ... ye, that's pretty much it. Just a reminder - all this applies for guys! I don't think those workouts are appropriate for any ladies, but you never know :P.

There is no such thing as an exercise which is more appropriate for men than for women, IMHO.

If you want to get faster, you pretty much have to do interval training.

Yes. For middle and long distance running, the only way to avoid an early plateau is interval training. For most people, it is very hard to do effective interval training alone, it is much better (and more fun!) to find a few training partners (preferably people who are slightly better runners than you).

wow, three posts in a row? where are you at, people??

At the gym. :P

I am no longer sick, a state to which I credit the sauna. Everyone I know who's had this cold had it turn into a chest cold, while mine just dried up post-sauna. So, the science is clear, and when I'm old and rich, I'm going to have a sauna at home. :pirate:

Sadly, I think being sick withered some of my strength, or possibly the 4 day gap between yesterday and my previous sessions with weights. I hadn't increased any amounts and I was feeling kind of tired and beat up, whereas the previous time, I had meant to increase the weight lifted. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Turns out I've torn my ACL and need surgery so I'm probably going to miss all of next season of rugby which is a bit of a pain in the arse, on the positive side at least once it's done I'll be able to start training properly again.

Interestingly while reading about ACL injuries it turns out that women playing sport are 8 times as likely to tear their ACL as men which I wouldn't have expected.

Turns out I've torn my ACL and need surgery so I'm probably going to miss all of next season of rugby which is a bit of a pain in the arse, on the positive side at least once it's done I'll be able to start training properly again.

Interestingly while reading about ACL injuries it turns out that women playing sport are 8 times as likely to tear their ACL as men which I wouldn't have expected.

The angle at which the femur connects to the tibia is smaller in women than it is in men. This produces quite a few knee problems in women in general. Of course, all men and women are different; some have a larger angle, some have a smaller angle. Myself, being of the hourglass persuasion, my hips and knees are never truly aligned, which means that in order to keep my kneecap from floating away and my leg from falling off (I'm joking here) I have to keep my quads and hamstrings in good shape.

At any rate, there's a lot of lateral motion involved in sports, so you can imagine if your thigh and knee are less straight up-and-down, there would be a lot of shear on the tendons of the knee, which leads to ACL injuries.

Did legs yesterday...still feel as weak as a new born kitten, but making progress. Upped the weight on squats by 20lbs and not even a twitch out of the knee.

Chest today...off tomorrow to go visit mom in the hospital.

Got a scare when I stepped on the scale...told me 28.9% body fat. Then we looked at it and realized I wasn't a 40 year old 5'9" woman. After adjusting it, 15.9...I'll get back on it at the end of June and see what it tells me then.

At any rate, there's a lot of lateral motion involved in sports, so you can imagine if your thigh and knee are less straight up-and-down, there would be a lot of shear on the tendons of the knee, which leads to ACL injuries.

Yeah these were some of the reasons that were listed, apparently high levels of certain hormones including Estrogen also has an impact on the risk of an ACL injury although the reasons why don't seem to be understood.

sorry to hear. I had that happen about five years ago. do the patella tendon graft, it's the best one. :thumbsup:

and as I said in another thread, do exactly as the doc says with your rehab. I was a little lazy with it, and now, though the strength in that knee is good and I've had no major problems, the right foot points out a little, and I sometimes have coordination issues when doing squats.

off day today. I overdid it yesterday and so am too sore. *whines*

My roommate brought an ellipticals machine. I'm proud to say that I've used it more then he has. I'm trying for 20 minutes a day plus 10 minutes of stretching. The first couple of times I used it I didn't stretch and I was surprised at how soon I cramped up. Thought I was in better shape then I am.

I've been trying to do some interval training in my running and it's absolutely destroying me. I'm going from running 6mph to 7.5mph in 800 and 400 m chunks. I'm wondering whether I'm really ready for this yet, but so far it feels exhausting in a good way.

Pull-ups have definitely improved. I've been doing protracted negatives in an effort to get my form better and I realized that what I was doing when I started really wasn't very good. But now I'm properly clearing the bar and doing things right. It feels good to be making progress.

Should I keep on doing the extended negatives (5x 10 seconds) rather than going for the few solid reps I can do?

I've done HIIT before, but not with a solid program. What do you all recommend as the best way to tackle it? If I take up HIIT again, I don't want to half-ass it again.

The Tabata Protocol. 8 rounds of 20 seconds solid work and 10 seconds of rest, for a total workout time of 4 minutes. If you're going to do HIIT then there's no point in being subtle about it. Good exercises to do tabata are sprints, burpees and thrusters.

The Tabata Protocol. 8 rounds of 20 seconds solid work and 10 seconds of rest, for a total workout time of 4 minutes. If you're going to do HIIT then there's no point in being subtle about it. Good exercises to do tabata are sprints, burpees and thrusters.

I fucking hate tabata burpees.

last time I did HIIT it was on a treadmill, like: 1 minute run at 10mph, 40 seconds at 3mph, repeat until 12-17 minutes are completed. err, usually I wound up inverting that after like three or four cycles. 40 seconds of work and 1 minute of rest.

Shoulders today...got some tightness in the rear delt, thankfully I have an appt with the chiropractor on Friday. Workout went well...cuz of the tightness I used the smith machine but still was able to fatigue the muscle. Feels good to be able to do it without the "oh god, what will I hurt next" thought in my head. Cardio...yeah, I think I am just going to let my cat loose in the yard and chase him around. I mean, it worked for Arya, right?

Here is the summary for my Do Something Every Day month- well, May 9-31 anyway, since I didn't record the first bit.

Total weight lifted: 100,300 lbs

Total CV hours: 34.7 (they record stuff like pilates as cardio though)

Total calories burned: 10,484

If you're kind of lazy like I am sometimes, and you're up for a challenge, this one isn't bad. I did manage to do something every day like the goal was to, although I got a cold so a few of those days were very light activities like walking or stretching, since doing intense activity every day runs you down anyway. I did this to mirror the routine I had while I was doing fieldwork and hiking 4-6 miles per day on average. I hate just sitting still, it makes me feel more tired and yet i have trouble sleeping if I don't get some activity, whereas being tired at the end of the day but getting a good night's sleep and being refreshed in the morning felt good. So, yay for goals and reaching them? (I never follow through. :P)

Archived